how to reintroduce clean up crew to my feeder roach colony

Troodlesn

So, a few months ago, we forgot to feed the roach colony (Surinam) and they ate all of the cuc (isopods). So, I spent $25 on 100 isopods to add back in, but despite the adequate food for the roaches, I assume the Surinams just ate them all again. We now have a roach colony that is in bad shape with dead material overtaking the substrate. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you have a suggested solution for us. Thanks.

Yea mine ate basically 3-4 cleaner crews if you dont keep moist food in the bin.

I basically just grow cleaners outside the tub, and introduce a little at a time. The cleaner crew seems to live off of lizard poop and a bit of veggies just fine.

Not sure if you could make a cleaner house with small slits so the cleaners can go in and out, but the larger roaches cant.

Yea mine ate basically 3-4 cleaner crews if you dont keep moist food in the bin.

I basically just grow cleaners outside the tub, and introduce a little at a time. The cleaner crew seems to live off of lizard poop and a bit of veggies just fine.

Not sure if you could make a cleaner house with small slits so the cleaners can go in and out, but the larger roaches cant.
Hmm, that's a good idea, but the roaches are all sizes, I would have to continually hunt down the bigger ones and move them to the inside. I have begun to create a separate bin for just the cleaners. I was thinking I would need to transfer a few roaches at a time into that bin as a restart for the roach bin, but I like your idea better. Thanks.

I only had isopods previously but I ordered some springtails yesterday. Just add random tree leaves?
Well, yes, leaf litter is basically just random tree leaves. Just make sure they are clean of chemicals and things like dog poo. You can sanitize them by baking in a 200* oven for about 30 mins or so I believe.

Well, yes, leaf litter is basically just random tree leaves. Just make sure they are clean of chemicals and things like dog poo. You can sanitize them by baking in a 200* oven for about 30 mins or so I believe.
It appears that my source for springtails is defunct. I have used Josh’s frogs, but I had found another place with a sale on springtails and went with them instead. Now I am not even hearing crickets from this place and the tracking number shows it was never even brought to the post office. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Do you prefer any other sellers of cucs?

Next

Back
Top Bottom