New chameleon

misskerrie

I just bought my Jackson's chameleon today. He/she is said to be approx 3 months old and living in a 100gal glass tank. Just got home with him/her about 4 hours ago and he started out almost black and now he's got some of his green color back. Well, now it's got it's eye closed and pushed up against the glass, and the other eye is open. Is this just stress or...?

is he scratching ? you dont have the glass aquarium do you? they need high humidity but the also need the air flow of a screen on atleast one of the sides and top. but the eye thing it might be a shed. can you post pics of him and his home so we can help a little easier
what are you using for lights and plants and vines ect also what do you have for a suppliment schedule in mind?
andwelcome to the forum !!!

It's a glass aquarium. No scratching. We have a 5.0 UVB bulb and 100watt heat bulb. Misted regularly. Haven't fed him yet, pet store said he shouldn't need to eat until tomorrow? Should I just try to go ahead and feed him? I'm new to this site and don't know how to attach pictures yet.

It's a glass aquarium. No scratching. We have a 5.0 UVB bulb and 100watt heat bulb. Misted regularly. Haven't fed him yet, pet store said he shouldn't need to eat until tomorrow? Should I just try to go ahead and feed him? I'm new to this site and don't know how to attach pictures yet.

The 100w light is most likely too hot. Especially in a glass aquarium. Which is also something you'd wanna change! As Mcleod said, they need high humidity, but they also need air flow. Stagnant air can cause RI's as well as a breeding ground for bacteria.

We don't have the 100watt turned all the way up. It's dimmed a little bit. The aquarium gets plenty of air flow. And humidity should be good. I mist it plus it's land and water.

land and water? you dont want to have something in there he will fall and drowned in.do you have a thermometer or hygrometer?

We don't have the 100watt turned all the way up. It's dimmed a little bit. The aquarium gets plenty of air flow. And humidity should be good. I mist it plus it's land and water.

chameleons should not be kept in aquariums. PERIOD. Please take the advice of the members on here and get the proper enclosure for you your chameleon..

I would post pics if I knew how to. And yeah, I'm sure there's a chance he could fall in lol but he hasn't gone near the water. Keep in mind it is 100gal tank. He has plenty of room.

chameleons should not be kept in aquariums. PERIOD. Please take the advice of the members on here and get the proper enclosure for you your chameleon..

All terrariums ive seen at pet stores are glass aquariums. I'm sure he'll be ok/safe in what I have for him considering that's all pet stores sell.

Don't let misinformation start you off as a bad back keeper.

NO CHAM should be in a glass aquarium, even in the wild they have open air flow, and he doesn't want any water features. Hopefully you have some suitable plants in there too like a ficus or hibiscus.

He has plenty of air flow, thanks. And he's fine with his water features. This thread was started about a question pertaining to his eye, which no longer needs answering, as he is fine now. So lets stick to the subject shall we?Thanks but no thanks for your opinion, picasso123, but I think my terrarium looks quite nice the way it is.

He has plenty of air flow, thanks. And he's fine with his water features. This thread was started about a question pertaining to his eye, which no longer needs answering, as he is fine now. So lets stick to the subject shall we?Thanks but no thanks for your opinion, picasso123, but I think my terrarium looks quite nice the way it is.

In my opinion, if you are concerned for his health and care about him living the best that he can, you should invest in a screen enclosure and the water in there is just going to breed bacteria all over if you don't change the water like.. everyday. And even then, you cham could fall in and drown...

And just because the pet stores dont sell screen cages doesnt mean glass ones are ok. The keepers here have all had plenty more experience with chameleons than the AVERAGE pet store keepers, who mostly just want to make money and care very little for the animals.

in any case, the water is unnecessary for your chameleon, as it wants to drink water off of leaves, and is only in your enclosure because you think it looks cool...

Well, I feel that my glass terrarium is perfectly fine. I've seen plenty of glass terrariums where chameleons lived healthy, happy, and full lives. So, like I said, let's keep this thread ON topic. Thanks.

Lol. I still don't see why you're so worried about my terrarium? If you'd really like to know, the water part also have fish in it. OMG let me guess, the fish are gonna jump out and eat my chameleon so I should probably take those out too?

Who's to say its info I don't know? Like I said, I know plenty of people who've owned chameleons with glass terrariums that lived full, happy and healthy lives. So keep your opinion to yourself, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom