New Chameleon

SarahCarter125

Hi all! I’m new to reptiles but have been an avid animal lover/owner all my life. We just got a Jackson Chameleon yesterday and he is really awesome. I’m concerned that he hasn’t eaten yet. He is about 8months old and hasn’t shown interest in his crickets or mealworms (breeder said they fed them crickets and meal worms). He enjoys hanging out under the dripping water and we have been misting him periodically to keep up the humidity until I get him a fogger/mister). The temps in his habitat are 68-75. I have done a lot of research before jumping into this. I want him to be happy. I guess I’m asking what I can do to get him to eat without getting critical commentary. If this is his adjustment period, when should I be concerned about his lack of appetite.

Hi there welcome to the forums.

When you say his temps are 68-75 is 75 at his basking site? What are you using to measure these temps?

If you could please fill out the how to ask for help for so we can make some helpful suggestions that would be great.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2. Photos can be very helpful.

Awe, that's sad to lose him right after you get him. Did you get ahold if the breeder yet?

Unfortunately, they seem to have disappeared... I’ve called the expo center that hosted the show and have gotten no response either. It was sad and is frustrating. Because he was a gift to my daughters, we ended up replacing him with a Panther that is much older. I personally think that I was lied to about the age and health of the Jackson and being new to Chameleons, I was suckered in. Our new chammy is orange and blue and eating well and full of energy. We also got a 30 day return policy from Petco- ideally I would have liked to go to a breeder or a group that specializes but desperate times called for desperate measures (my girls ate 5 and 7) and the heartbreak over their Pipsky was gut wrenching. I wanted to see, touch, and interact with my chameleon before bringing it home rather than mail order.
* I know Chameleons are not super interactive and not really “playful” and my kids know he is meant to be watched rather than played with.

Back
Top Bottom