New chameleon owner: How am I doing? Any tips?

Sarahcwilson

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - His name is Steve (named by a student), Nosy Be, Male, six months old, adopted him one month ago

Handling -
To clean his cage and to look at him, maybe once a day if he wants to. He's in my classroom, so I want him to be semi-used to people, although my kids don't get to hold him unless he needs to come out for cage cleaning. They just admire from afar.

Feeding -
I feed him mainly gut-loaded crickets (5 or so small - medium a day) and silkworms (3 - 4 a day). He gets a butter worm or two maybe once or twice a week. I feed the silkworms their mulberry leaf food. I gut-load the crickets about 4 - 8 hours before feeding them to him. Actually, they are always gut-loaded because I feed them every day. I feed them fresh dandelion greens, oranges, cucumbers, and other fresh produce (not kale, spinach, or broccoli). I made my own dry gut-load using one of Sandrachameleon's recent recipes. It's made of bee pollen, quinoa, seaweed, etc. They get that daily too.

Supplements -
I use Miner-all wo B3 at least every other feeding on the crickets, Miner-all with B3 once a week, and Reptivite once a week.

Watering -
I mist him with a hand mister three times a day for about one - two minutes each time (after lights are on for a while, noonish, and then at least two hours before lights out). I also use a fogger (It sits in a cup on the top of the cage so the mist drifts into the enclosure) that comes on twice a day for 15 minutes each time. My cage dries out between mistings and I mop up the floor to keep the moisture from building up. He drinks often. I make sure to see him drink in the morning and he is liking lately to sip from the droplets on the ceiling left by the fogger.

Fecal Description -
His droppings are well formed, slightly moist, dark brown with the end being a bright white. He goes about once a day or every other day.

History -
He travels in a dark box with branches in it over the weekend to come home. He lives in the classroom during the week.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - His at home cage is 2 x 2 x 4 feet. His at school cage is 18 x 18 x 36 in. Both enclosures are mesh. Since he is little, I have him in his smaller cage at school where he lives during the week. I use no substrate and all dirt (in pots) is covered with large smooth river stones. I sometimes will put paper towels down when the fogged is on; it drips!

Lighting - He has a basking spot lamp, 100 watt in both places. I bring the UVB Reptisun 5.0 back and forth. I will replace it in June (six month mark).

Temperature - I try to keep his basking spot at 80 - 85 degrees F. It falls to about 70ish at the bottom of his cage. He has all kinds of levels of branches to regulate temperatures. At home, I don't need to use a night heat lamp; it only goes down to about 65 F at the lowest (in winter). At school, he has a night time heat bulb (going to get a ceramic one soon so it doesn't emit light). It doesn't drop below 65 with the lamp at night.

Humidity - Humidity is at about 50 between mistings and goes up to 80 when misted. The fogger brings it up to about 60. I use a hygrometer in both places. Digital at school and a dial at home.

Plants - I have the safe umbrella plant in the big cage and another smaller live plant (can't remember its name but I checked several safe lists before I bought it).

Placement - At school, his cage is on a counter in a recessed counter area that has almost no traffic. The top of that cage is at about 6 feet off the floor. At home, he is on a table in my spare room with no foot traffic unless I'm in there to take care of him (feeding, misting, etc.) The top of his cage is at about 8 feet off the floor. No fans, air vents for either place.

Location -
Western Washington State

Current Problem -
I am just making sure my practices are good for my little guy! He is my first chameleon. I want to make sure he is well cared for.

I attached a photo of his at home cage (I am on break, but I'll attach his school home later).

What do you guys think? Any feedback is welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 116
Someone has done there homework it's all pretty good, with suplimenting I presume you mean d3 right? An with the d3 and vitamins you want to use them each twice a month so use one week 1 then the others the week after and repeat, and change the red bulb for a normal house hold bulb. The normal clear light represents the sun and also if your leaving that red bulb on over night it sill be keeping the Cham awake, chams can see the red light if you need night time heat use a ceramic bulb but you should be ok as a 10f drop at night is recommended

Oh one other thing, just because you seem to have so many of the major things already dialed in. I recently learned that the plastic "shield" on the UVB fixture I use (a clear plastic piece between the bulb and the cage's screen) blocks UVB. I can't tell on your fixture in your picture, but if it has something like this, you should remove it.

A fine point, but something that really surprised me.

Okay, cool everyone! Thanks for the responses!

Chameleonmonkey - I did mean d3, :) alson, don't worry, I don't keep the heat lamp on overnight. At home he has no light (our house temps don't go below 65) and at school, he has a night time bulb until I get a ceramic one since it gets colder there. Thank you for the tip about alternating the reptivite and cal w/ d3. Is that for his age too? He's sixth months old. I had heard to do both once a week until he is one year and then go every other. Is that right?

Thanks for the drainage tips Cubanee! I've been thinking about going that route... I also had no idea about the shield. Luckily mine doesn't have it but that's good to know for future purchases!!!

Thanks you both!

Back
Top Bottom