New chameleon owner, baby veiled, won't eat

Nox

We've been researching a lot about veiled and how to keep them, we already have 2 beardies and they're doing fine.

we got her yesterday, and she's tiny, about 5 to 6 cm in length (nose to vent)

the only thing is, is that she hasn't shown any interest in the crickets or spring greens that we've provided her with.

I'm getting worried because she's so small and in scared that she's too scared to eat, I've handled her a few times and obviously like the majority of chameleons she didn't like it but a few times she has just sat on my hand or crawled up my arm.

does anyone know how long it will take for her to settle in and start eating? and if theres anything we can do to help her along?

thank you

they are really small, about half a centimetre in length. and i haven't seen her defiantly drink yet but my partner seen her lick a leaf where i had dripped quite a bit of water over so I'm guessing she knows what she's doing.

If you are in the UK then I found small locusts work like a gem, they just love locusts. Crickets were great, but locusts were irresistable.

When I got my baby veiled, he didn't like to eat in front of me, in fact experienced members, like carol, had to tell me to take a walk to give her some peace- & it was just what he needed. Sometimes they need privacy to eat at first. Try not to over-whelm her with feeders as that can put him off. Try putting in 5 in the morning & another 5-10 mid-afternoon.

Sorry about the gender confusion lol. Bear in mind that it also takes a while for them to settle into new homes. If you got her yesterday, she may still be getting used to new surroundings. Give her a little privacy & fingers crossed she'll eat for you

Bear in mind that it also takes a while for them to settle into new homes. If you got her yesterday, she may still be getting used to new surroundings. Give her a little privacy

can take up to a week. How big is the viv you have her in? a small viv can better when there young.

+1 on these two. We need a like button on the forums!

Note: Be sure to take all feeders out at night. Feeders should be no bigger than the distance between the eyes. :)

she's so small and in scared that she's too scared to eat, I've handled her a few times

That's probably the problem right there.

Stop handling her and let her settle in for a week or two until she is eating and pooping regularly. Hands off until then is best.

You could always try bowl feeding her!!! My little guy was pretty shy when I first got him home at 4 weeks old!!! So as was stated let her have peace for long periods of time and get used to her new surroundings!! I only went in to his space to place the bowl,,,once they see the crickets scootin around they b-line to the bowl!!!
Oh and make sure to watch for and inspect her poops,,,white urinates are perfect hydration even if you dont see her drink!!!

thanks guys, i thought it would just be because sits all new, the enclosure is small I'm not quite sure of the sizes but it seems fine for her, i havnt got much in at the minute, I'm still waiting for some more things off amazon to arrive, so i went out and bought her a large fake plant for her to hide in, she loves it. i'll just keep an eye on her over the next week or so if not i'll be back! lol

It might be easier to maintain humidity levels if you went out and bought a Pathos,,,Ficus and or a Suffelera plant!!!!
And you will need to explore a bigger cage!!! Start now cuz before you know it youll be looking at a crammed adult cham in a small enclosure!!!!
My guys 9 week birthday was yesterday and I must say he has grown quite a bit in the past 5 weeks!!!

is there anywhere where you can recommend for me to buy a plant? like b and q or home base?

I got a huge ficus at asda for £5.
Ikea has nice jade plants and ficus trees. My chams love them. They prefer them to salad it seems.
Homebase has a good selection of safe plants too. Got a ficus and 2 hibiscus plants there. Hibiscus plants are good cause chams love to eat their blossom.
Dobbies is pretty good for that too.

I found Hibiscus dies really easily and umbrella plants don't like it too wet. Ficuses do great! I don't water them cos they seem to get enough from misting & the dripper. Both my chams have them and they come in such a wide variety of sizes. I get them from the garden centre- B&Q haven't had a great selection when I've looked. I hear that if you go Lidl on the right day, they have pothos really cheap.

Just another friendly suggestion...if you are a new chameleon owner and don't quite know the entire 'ins & outs' of chameleon care I would suggest you read some of the blogs, FAQ, care sheets, etc. and learn as much as you can now, that way you won't be scrambling if and when your cham becomes sick or egg laiden. It is always good to be informed before something happens than doing research after the fact. Good luck with your baby!

Feeding Babies

I have raised a clutch of baby veils from eggs. Yes, it's a bit scary on how to handle and feed them. Naturally, they are "afraid" of large hands coming at them, and holding them when they're are very tiny is a challenge. Don't despair! They will soon know who's feeding them, but until that time I buy the "pin-head" crickets - sometimes tough to find in pet stores. Dust them (with vits/calcium) and place them into a small cup. I use a plastic one that I cut the top off half way leaving a 3" rim. I fixed that cup into the vines/limbs with a metal wire. They will soon learn where the food is by natural exploration. I alternate the crickets with the smallest of worms (also found at the pet store). I just sprinkle a bit o calcium/vits in the bowl. They will also require the specified lighting (UV etc), and mist them often (I have an automated mister). Also, they like to hide - make sure that your foliage (if natural or plastic) has the ability for them to hide.

Back
Top Bottom