New cham, drinking but not eating..

andy d

Hello,

I recently bought a few month old flap neck chameleon from lllreptile.com last week, and have been noticing a lack of appetite. At first I figured it may have just been stress related from the shipping process, but its been more than a week and he has only eaten a few crickets. I have crickets in the cage in a homemade cricket feeder and I offer crickets in a bowl. The last time I witnessed him eat was two days ago and I am starting to worry. Any ideas?? Here is my chameleon info:

Your Chameleon - Flap Neck, Male, most likely a few months old. Got him a little over 1 week ago from lllreptile.com
Handling- Have not yet tried to handle him
Feeding - Trying to feed, has only had a few crickets since he arrived. Crickets are gutloaded with green cricket food (Don't remember which brand)
Supplements - Tetrafauna Repto Cal
Watering - I mist the tank about three times a day and use a dripper. I also just bought a humidifier to help with our dry climate. I see him drink each time.
Fecal Description - I have not seen him defecate. Looks like there is a few in the cage, normal dark coloration.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I do not know if he has been tested
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 16x16x20 reptibreeze
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 long bulb, and a 100watt zoomed ceramic bulb. Have it on a timer, from 630am to 800pm at night
Temperature - Basking area mid to high 80's, floor is low 70s. At night the temp ranges from 78-80, and 69 at floor level. I am measuring with a accurite temp/humidity reader. I keep the reader on the floor of the cage, and keep the "outside temperature probe" hanging at the level of his basking spot to read that temperature.
Humidity - Humidity is 70-80% between mistings, 90%+ after mistings
Plants - Yes, Ficus benjamina
Placement - Cage is located in a corner of our house with low traffic. A vent is across the room, but is closed and not next to cage. It is also on a stand about 36" off the ground.
Location - Klamath Falls, OR

BTW, his name is Karl. Here are some pics of him and his enclosure. First three are from day one, and the others are from today:

IMAG0989.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

IMAG0991.jpg

IMAG1011.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

IMAG1013.jpg

UPDATE: Got him to eat one cricket just a few minutes ago.. but I had to hold it out infront of him. He didn't go for any others..

I was as about to say if it's drinking it will eat eventually. To me drinking is more important then eating, especially with wc the eating will come if it's drinking.

Back
Top Bottom