New Cham Acclimation

AP711

Hey everyone,
I just recieved my blue bar ambilobe this morning from FLChams, and I would like to get some helpful advice regarding his acclimation. He came about 12:30 this afternoon, and I put him right into the cage. Thanks to Brad's advice on the chat, I have been keeping him well hyrated thoughout the day. At first, his colors seemed to be a bit pale for the first few hours, but I am supposing that this is just due to the shipping stresses. Just recently, he started to wander about the cage, and he is basking on and off. The temp in the basking area is around 90*F, and about 72-75*F everywhere else in the cage. Now he is becoming more robust, and his beard is showing more red. So, am I doing things right? What else can I do to best acclimate him? Thanks alot guys!
-Aaron

Also, after the great experience I had with Mike at FLChams, I can not see myself buying from another breeder.

Congrats,
Mike is a great guy to work with.

You do not want a bright chameleon. A dull chameleon is a happy chameleon for the most part. If he is extending his throat gullet, compressing laterally, and showing bright colors he is telling you to go away. Best advice, water, feed, clean cage as necessary, LEAVE HIM ALONE for a few weeks. Do not handle or stare, or poke your face up to the screen trying to get a better look. Remember in his world when an animal focuses both eyes on you, YOUR FOOD! I know it is hard but your cham will thank you.

Last edited:
Mike is a very trustworthy person, you have made a good choice working with him.I hope your little guy is doing greatt, it sounds like he's in good hands!

Thanks for the post Zerah. I have moved him to a quieter area, so he will be in peace for the time being. He remained well hydrated all day, I'm just worried about getting him to eat now.

Chameleonstree, when he trusts me a bit more, and he is more comfortable in his new, you can be sure to see some pics!

Thanks Westcoast! Mike is a delight to buy from.

I think I have read that brighter colors are better...? and that darker mean or more stressed and etc. cham? is this true or does it depend on species?

pfal26 said:
I think I have read that brighter colors are better...? and that darker mean or more stressed and etc. cham? is this true or does it depend on species?
What you have read can be a bit misconstrued. Most of the pics you will see of panther are of them highly irritated, we call it fired up. This is accomplished by either having a female in sight of the photographed animal but off frame, or placing a mirror or another male where the photographed animal can see, but again off camera. If your panther stays in this "fired up" color all the time he is highly stressed. If this stress continues for a long duration you will see the colors darken and the cham will go from fired up to a very dark defensive coloration. A calm cham will exhibit calm coloration. These should be good clean colors, but should not resemble the very bright colors of "fired up". In addition body position will not be laterally compressed and the gullet will not be extended, nor will the front arms be lifted in an effort to make the head look larger. A calm, safe cham will also not exhibit the jittery movement of the leaf mimic. All of these are indicators of stress, competition, feelings of insecurity, and courting.

For example this is the same male.

Calm and relaxed, good clean color, no lateral compression, gullet relaxed.

IMG_2693.jpg

Now with a male off frame. Fired up colors, lateral compression, gullet extension, aggressive posturing.

IMG_3467-1.jpg

Last edited:
AP711 said:
Thanks for the post Zerah. I have moved him to a quieter area, so he will be in peace for the time being. He remained well hydrated all day, I'm just worried about getting him to eat now.

Do not stress on the eating thing. Do not put too many crickets in either. Just but 3-5 in and leave them till they are gone. He will eat. Panthers are walking stomaches! Once he starts you will wish he would stop, LOL. In the wild the idea that a suitable meal would present itself daily is insane, much less multiple times per day. A day, or two, or three without a meal will not harm him. Now he may strike the crap out of whatever you throw in after a few days without food, but after-all this is what you want right? Feeders loose nutritional value by the second, I want mine gone fast.

Good news! Kai successfully ate a bunch of calcium dusted crix today, and a butterworm. lol, your right zerah, he took them down fast as soon as I put them in the cage! :p

AP711 said:
Good news! Kai successfully ate a bunch of calcium dusted crix today, and a butterworm. lol, your right zerah, he took them down fast as soon as I put them in the cage! :p

Good stuff! Glad he is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom