New Cage Work In Progress

BrandonBeahm

I have a week off of school before Summer quarter starts. So I decided to build a new chameleon cage from scratch!

So today was day 2 of the build. Day 1 was just planning and buying materials.

I also ordered a Mist King and plenty of vines plus fake plants. (I'm planning on having real plants as well)

Here is what I have so far

IMG_0935.jpg

Here is my chameleon in his current small cage, he is about a year old

chameleon.jpg

Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have the main structure completed and stained/sealed. :D

Wow your Cham is fabulous, what's his name? How big is his new home going to be then? He is one LUCKY little guy :D

Wow your Cham is fabulous, what's his name? How big is his new home going to be then? He is one LUCKY little guy :D

His name is Fluffy :D
His new home is going to be pretty big. Here are some blueprints from my design. The cage itself is going to be a bit over 3 feet tall. I also plan to make a stand sometime down the road.
Also, the cage is being built to fit into a weird corner in my room. So basically it's the opposite of a typical 90 degree corner cage.

cage-blueprints.jpg

great setup, but does he have a license?

So far he only has a learners permit. ;)

Looks like the cage is coming along nicely and what a beautiful chameleon! And being that he only has a permit I highly recommend you have him in before dark :p

Well done that you building a cage from scratch! Wish I had the know-how...look forward to seeing your progress and the finished product. Your cham is gorgeous.

Looks like the cage is coming along nicely and what a beautiful chameleon! And being that he only has a permit I highly recommend you have him in before dark :p

Yeah I don't let him roam around too much on his own, especially at night. Haha, thanks. :)

Well done that you building a cage from scratch! Wish I had the know-how...look forward to seeing your progress and the finished product. Your cham is gorgeous.

This is actually the biggest project I've ever done, so I've learned a lot as I went along. I'm sure anyone could do it with the proper research! :D

Thanks. I'll have to get some new pictures of Fluffy once he is in his new cage. Hopefully I can catch him showing off some more of his oranges/yellows for once.

Also, so far I have the entire cage structure completed! Here is a picture of it.

IMG_0939-small.jpg

I just finished applying the stain/sealant as well. I'll have to get more pictures of it tomorrow when it's dry.
I'm also hoping to have most everything completed by tomorrow night and completely dry by Friday!

For a second I actually thought you were converting a car into a Cham enclosure! Would look sweet, but also would be a bit ridiculous.......I think all things considered the wooden one is the way forward......good work :)

For a second I actually thought you were converting a car into a Cham enclosure! Would look sweet, but also would be a bit ridiculous.......I think all things considered the wooden one is the way forward......good work :)

A car as a chameleon cage, that would be amazing!! Haha, seriously now I hope no one goes that crazy and actually does that...

Thanks. I'm definitely loving the wood look. I can't wait to be finished with it though!

Wow, somebody made an A in woodshop! Great work. And that is one stunning chameleon.

Thanks :D I actually only took woodcarving in high school actually. I learned most everything from Google searches and asking helpful employees at Lowe's.

that car is sweeeeet:eek:!!!! dont scratch it...oh and the chameleon nice too..:D.lol

Haha yeah I have to be extra careful around the car, my dad is currently trying to sell it on Ebay. Thanks :D

Here it is with the stain/sealant applied and mostly dried!
(the top canopy isn't actually bolted down yet, it is simply sitting on top)

IMG_0945-small.jpg

I'm going to add a clear coat next and then apply some sort of caulking in the corners and cracks to make this beast watertight.
Then I'll add the screens, window, and door and hopefully be done! :D

What a beautiful chameleon you have. I also like your setup, well done!

Bravo! Super good job!

Thank you, it's been a difficult and fun experience! :D

it looks really good...any reason you didnt make it taller?

Actually the enclosure is 3 feet tall and the whole thing is about 4 feet tall with the canopy, I'd say that's pretty tall! :p
Also, I plan on making a stand for it at some time this Summer which will add a decent amount of height to it.

So after the clear coat was mostly dry I decided to put the rest of the cage together.

My girlfriend decided to hop in the picture :p
IMG_0947-small.jpg

I added the screen on top and the screens on the bottom. I also added the door and window.

After this picture was taken I caulked some silicone in all the corners and whatnot.

Now I just have to wait a couple days for everything to completely dry and wait for some stuff to arrive in the mail so I can get this cage up and running! :D

Thank you, it's been a difficult and fun experience! :D

Actually the enclosure is 3 feet tall and the whole thing is about 4 feet tall with the canopy, I'd say that's pretty tall! :p
Also, I plan on making a stand for it at some time this Summer which will add a decent amount of height to it.

i was just curious, as most generally use at least a 4' enclosure for male panthers...i wasnt sure if you were building with any height restrictions...it looks really awesome though

Back
Top Bottom