New Cage Shock? Something's Wrong with Monk

Valiant

hey folks,
we're a little worried. 8-9 month old Monk has been flourishing until about two weeks ago, when he moved into a midsized cage.

He has stopped eating, quite suddenly, and has had no more than 3 or 4 superworms in total since the move, nearly 2 weeks ago.

dark, stressed colour, which has since toned down to his more or less normal beautiful tones

no signs of dehydration.

today he is acting weak and listless. creeping around on cage bottom, flicking his tongue randomly at nothing.

old cage was a smallish starter size which he outgrew, half glass panels, half vented.
the new cage is 36h 36w 24deep, all mesh.

he has a 75watt and a 50watt heating lamps and a good fullspectrum reptile light.

he is largely undisturbed, only handled for a few minutes every two weeks or so out of neccesity, good temperament.

he eats crickets (but not for 2 weeks) and (more and more) mealworms/superworms with the occasional silkworm treat. they are healthy insects, gutloaded with quality food and vegetable matter. supplemented regularly.

we expected some cage shock and crankiness when he moved to his swanky new environment, but it has been two weeks and he's just not right. still not eating, and looking/acting unwell, maybe.

help?

I don't like the fact that he is hanging out on the bottom.
I say get ready for a vet visit.
in the meantime, Can you post a pic of him and his enclosure?

What brand exactly is the full spectrum reptile light?

cont.

hi
a 13 watt coil (i know) uvb light by reptisun (i think, but a reptile specific brand anyway)
he is a boy with proud little foot spurs.

he isn't always hanging out on the cage bottom, but more so today. he'll often hang out there for a bit in the morning even when he's well.

we believe the tongue-shooting is at waterdrops.

my wife says she has seen him sitting with his mouth open a lot since the move to the new cage. not gaping at us... she'll see him from far away just sitting there like that.

i'll post a pic in a minute.

we are most concerned about his Not Eating

Attachments

• new cage 003 (Small).jpg
    new cage 003 (Small).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Ditch the coil (you know). The part where you mention that he is shooting at nothing makes me wonder if he already has eye damage. Also-are you positive of the temps-too high will cause them to seek out cooler places.

High temps can cause the gaping however, I do have to say my adult male cruises his cage at least 2x/day that I can tell. He goes to the bottom via one stick and looks out the window for awhile on a log that is down there, then heads up to the top via another stick. You can just about set your clock by his roaming. I used to freak when I saw him on the bottom, but in the afternoon the sun comes into his cage and hits the bottom of it, so sitting on the log must feel nice and warm. I think it is important for each owner to get to know their chams habits so you can really tell when they are acting "different".

Thanks

Switching to his new cage really taught us to tweak every last bit of his environment and he soon settled down and got happy. this is a really great forum, keep it up y'all.

Uvb lamp?!

Hi there - we're new chameleon owners and I was wondering what is wrong with the UVB lamps! We have a 75 watt uvb for our veiled chameleon. We recently bought her a 24x24x48 screened chameleon cage and she is in cage shock as well.

We're taking her to the vet this morning because she is suffering from dehydration and is on a hunger strike. Thanks for any and all replies!

Hi there - we're new chameleon owners and I was wondering what is wrong with the UVB lamps! We have a 75 watt uvb for our veiled chameleon. We recently bought her a 24x24x48 screened chameleon cage and she is in cage shock as well.

We're taking her to the vet this morning because she is suffering from dehydration and is on a hunger strike. Thanks for any and all replies!

the "coiled" uvb lamps caused photo kerato conjunctivitis/ snow blindness to cham.
http://uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Thank you!

Hi dodolah - I visited your blog and I love it.

I'm using a reflecting dome lamp with a uvb bulb. Would that be alright?

You're an angel!

Thanks for posting a pic with it. :eek:

I'm going right to Petco after work to get the linear bulb. Can I use the dome light as a basking light or no?

Gosh, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help! :)

Back
Top Bottom