New cage setup.

Action Jackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've been working on getting some new cage set ups finished and wanted to try out a new idea I had.

I have been using the pin the stick through the screen method but inevitably manage to tear the screening in one way or another. So here are some pictures of how I set up my new cages.

The idea was to use plastic chain suspended from clips screwed into the top frame of the cage. I used this chain and these wire clips.

Then I inserted wooden dowels through the chain.

I like to make circular pathways for my chameleons and they love to go around the cage using them. I also used what sticks I had in place of dowels. The beauty of this is that when removing the plants for cleaning the branches are easily moved out of the way, also with a circular path around the upper part of the cage allows the Chameleons to have easy access to feeders that always end up at the top of the enclosure.

I put rocks in the plant pots to keep the Chams from eating stuff they shouldn't. I've had a couple close calls lately concerning this.

I cut coroplast to support the new misting heads and siliconed the front edge to keep feeders from hiding in there.

I also drilled holes in the bottom and used these wire cage things for supporting the plants which keeps mold from forming under and around the base of the pots.

I made dividers out of coroplast and secured it using metal wire clips. Each cage has one divider to shield it from the cage next door.

Here's one of the girls ready for her new digs.

And one of my 10 old CBB males.

The plastic chain is a really cool idea! I might use it, but I have a thing about drilling holes in the aluminum frames. I've had good luck with the adhesive tie wrap anchors.

I like your cage dividers. I've always used the frosted covers you buy for large fluorescent light fixtures, but they are brittle and invariably chip or crack.

Thanks for sharing.

The plastic chain is a really cool idea! I might use it, but I have a thing about drilling holes in the aluminum frames. I've had good luck with the adhesive tie wrap anchors.

I like your cage dividers. I've always used the frosted covers you buy for large fluorescent light fixtures, but they are brittle and invariably chip or crack.

Thanks for sharing.

The new cages from LLL which are the same as what I bought, already have holes drilled in the top frame for two clips. The good thing is that the holes are in the top and with the wire clips installed they won't get water in them. The adhesive on the cable tie holders won't last and isn't strong enought to support the weight imo. I hear you on the flourecent light covers, they are brittle and probably couldn't handle the uv if used outside. I like the coroplast because of the thickness it is easy to secure it in the frame as shown.

Thank you for sharing your fabulous ideas. When I die I want to come back as a Jackson under your care, lol.

Do you have any problems with feeders hiding under the raised plants? Where do you get those wire thingies you use as raisers?

Thank you,

Luis

Last edited:
The new cages from LLL which are the same as what I bought, already have holes drilled in the top frame for two clips.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that they were already drilled. One thing I noticed about your cages is that they are splined on the inside so it would be kinda hard to replace the screen without disassembling the panels. It looks cleaner than the way I scratch build mine though, and your coroplast sits in the recess real nice.

Ha ha, thanks.

I've learned by trial and error. I've been trying to figure out ways to make my cages last longer. I built the rack they sit on so the cages wouldn't sit in water which causes them to corrode faster. I also have a bunch of cages with holes in the screening that are patched with silicone. The push pins rust, then break and the one side of the stick falls and tears the screen.:mad: or I'll lift a plant out and hit a branch and tear the screen that way. This new plan should keep those things from happening.

The feeders don't hide under the plants when they're raised. When I had plants sitting directly on the bottom I would always find roaches under the plants when I went to clean.

I got the wire cage thingies at 99 cent store. They're not ideal, I'd like to find some with 4 legs so I don't have to lift them to clean.

Thank you for sharing your fabulous ideas. When I die I want to come back as a Jackson under your care, lol.

Do you have any problems with feeders hiding under the raised plants? Where do you those wire thingies you use as raisers?

Thank you,

Luis

That's a great idea for the dowels! Wish I had seen that before doing the old dowel/tack trick. Even when I push the tacks in ahead of time, I still seem to damage the screen here and there. Oh, it hurts to see it happen!

Those are some awesome cages! You thought of everything. I like what you did with the misting heads.

Agreed, and the dividers as well. sounds like less of a pain in the butt than what i do. which is spline nylon fabric directly into the frame panel. but i do like my option for the fact that i can use green and blue and some light can pass though.

Is the bottom sloped at all to make the water kind of run to the holes? Building a couple of cages this week and trying to figure out something to use (besides a clunky sink) that might work.

Very nice setups nonetheless! I never thought of raising my live plants up a bit off the ground for easier cleaning/mold prevention.

If you look at the picture that shows the divider in place you can see what the cages are sitting on. When they are on the rack, the weight of the plant depresses the center at the bottom and the water drains out.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Is the bottom sloped at all to make the water kind of run to the holes? Building a couple of cages this week and trying to figure out something to use (besides a clunky sink) that might work.

Very nice setups nonetheless! I never thought of raising my live plants up a bit off the ground for easier cleaning/mold prevention.

Where did you get the chains? Do you know what the weight limit is per chain? Im thinking of running one across the top of the cage to hang my pothos on. Im curious if it will support the weight.

Where did you get the chains? Do you know what the weight limit is per chain? Im thinking of running one across the top of the cage to hang my pothos on. Im curious if it will support the weight.

I got the chain at Lowes, Home Depot would also probably have it but mine was out. I would think it would support a potho fine.

Back
Top Bottom