new cage idea

i might try it. pablo is in need of a new cage and as soon as my damn paypal accout is verified im getting a panther. one of dynamite's babies to be exact. this looks like it would make for a good double cage.

I also thought about it before but realized it wouldn't really save that much time or Money for me. After tax and everything it would have been around $200 for me here in Chicago and I made one about the same size out of wood and it cost me about $75 (I had some wood and joints to begin with). But I am sure it would have worked. Just my 2 cents cuz I thought about it A LOT!

i wouldn't recomend it they are most likely made of partical boad which dosen't hold up in moisture. if you did you woud have to paint it and seal all the joits really well. it would most likely end up costing you more and not lasting as long as a real wood cage.

If it is melamine it will rapidly deteriorate from moisture, but if not, it would be a cool project to undertake. With some modifications it could be a nice cage. If it is real wood, a nice coat of water based sealer (minwax polycrylic) would do the trick of protecting it. It is completely safe when dry and cures real fast.

I'll be the third to say...."only if it's real wood".
As stated before, particle board, melamine (probably, again, particle board underneath) will not have much of a lifespan with all the misting etc.
I doubt this is real wood for the price and by the look of it.
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind before too though....while walking through Home Depot or Lowe's.
Jordan converted a piece of real wood furniture...it's on a thread in here somewhere.

-Brad

Ive spent HOURS in Home Depot staring at those things with my cage building assistant... and yes, it could work we figured out, but its worth was never enough to persuade us.

The problem is these things are made of the compressed particle board and then coated with paper... i suppose with the cracks all sealed up with a paintable caulking and a layer of latex paint it may be doable.... but you can by a lot of 1x lumber material ( cull lumber and furring strips ) for $138 from lowes..

I am so glad I am not the only one that constantly sees pieces of furniture and shelving as cage possibilities. My family thinks I am crazy sometimes!

Do It!!!!!!

agreed, that thing would turn into a piece real fast and the ventilation wouldn't be very good.If you go ahead and build your own , you will feel proud and at ease knowing you pet is in a custom built home just for them and you built it.Also, you learn allot about what you would or won't do on your next cage project .I studied all the picture of others cages, walked
through every hardware store for like a month .Then came up with my own
concept and put it together. Do it, You'll be stoked in the end.Allot of head
scratching at first and then bang ! New Cage! Good Luck:)!!!!

I am so glad I am not the only one that constantly sees pieces of furniture and shelving as cage possibilities. My family thinks I am crazy sometimes!

No your not the only one that see's furniture as a possible cage...we used a kitchen island, i know it isnt the tall cage everyone recomends.. but it worked and Marty doesn't see to mind..we looked all over for a piece of furniture that would work and found this.. the drawer was taken out we just used the front part to cover the hole after screening the top part we put the uvb light in from the back since the draw could be opened from both sides...the rails that held the drawer up hold the light perfectly... i am looking now for something for my female veiled as she is getting bigger and needs more space...:D
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff174/moon61_photos/2007_0821Image0002.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff174/moon61_photos/2007_0821Image0001.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff174/moon61_photos/2007_0821Image0003.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom