New Cage almost completed!!!

Freedom1

I am almost finished with the cage upgrade for my female veiled. I only have to set up the misting system and then I’m done! I would like input on the cage and whether or not anyone thinks that she could use more foliage?? All the plants are 100% live, and the heat lamp is 8 inches away, the UVB lamp is around 11 inches away from the nearest branch ( I’ll be watching to see if she goes to the top of the pothos plant because than she’ll be too close to UVB and I’ll have to move the plant) I also now have the permanent lay bin at the bottom of her cage! I’m so excited for her to get this much needed upgrade! 😁

Attachments

• FCEFF444-017D-4ECA-A0C1-E86DE2455D0A.jpeg
    FCEFF444-017D-4ECA-A0C1-E86DE2455D0A.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 115
Looks great! I just have a few questions... do you have two heat lamps at the top of the cage? It's probably a dumb question but, is the heat lamp the one pointing toward the branches in the back behind the uvb fixture? Is the thermometer reading 78 degrees ago the basking branch, and is this usually what it stays at? You'll want a couple more thermometers and hydrometers placed throughout different areas of her cage as well to properly monitor humidity and ambient temp. Did you use a solarmeter to distance the branches? What type of UVB lamp do you use? I would place the laying bin in the back corner where the money tree is, and possibly add maybe one more plant, maybe like a ficus or another pathos (anything that will almost totally block your view of the laying bin from the front of the cage so she'll feel more safe accessing it in the back behind all the foliage (that way you can leave it more open to her and she'll feel safe laying in it since she won't be able to see you or anything else from the front and back).

Great start...

Add some vertical braces branches to those dragon ledges. Weight from pots without this will cause the ledge to flex.

https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

Am I seeing tape on the branches and dowels?

11 inches for UVB... What bulb strength are you using and is it a T5. FOr the heat make sure it is at least 8 inches away from her back not the branch. Or you have a thermal burn risk.

Looks great! I just have a few questions... do you have two heat lamps at the top of the cage? It's probably a dumb question but, is the heat lamp the one pointing toward the branches in the back behind the uvb fixture? Is the thermometer reading 78 degrees ago the basking branch, and is this usually what it stays at? You'll want a couple more thermometers and hydrometers placed throughout different areas of her cage as well to properly monitor humidity and ambient temp. Did you use a solarmeter to distance the branches? What type of UVB lamp do you use? I would place the laying bin in the back corner where the money tree is, and possibly add maybe one more plant, maybe like a ficus or another pathos (anything that will almost totally block your view of the laying bin from the front of the cage so she'll feel more safe accessing it in the back behind all the foliage (that way you can leave it more open to her and she'll feel safe laying in it since she won't be able to see you or anything else from the front and back).
The light behind the UVB is the heat lamp. The bigger one in front of it is the plant lamp. The temperature is normally 80-82 degrees but I just turned on the heat lamp, so it was warming up a bit. I don’t have a solar meter but I did make sure that her back on the highest branch would be at least 11 inches away from the UVB. The UVB lamp is a linear T5HO with a 5.0 bulb. I have a croton plant that I could add near the lay bin… I normally just put a sheet around the bottom side for more privacy, but I will try to fit that in there. I also have a temperature gun that I use, I will most definitely buy more hydrometers though

Great start...

Add some vertical braces branches to those dragon ledges. Weight from pots without this will cause the ledge to flex.

https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

Am I seeing tape on the branches and dowels?

11 inches for UVB... What bulb strength are you using and is it a T5. FOr the heat make sure it is at least 8 inches away from her back not the branch. Or you have a thermal burn risk.
Do you think I still need the vertical branches on the ledges if the plants aren’t directly tied to the dragon ledges? I made platforms out of sticks and wooden dowels.. then I put the plants on them and connected the pots to the branches. There is tape on the branches and dowels 😅 I used zip ties to secure them, then I cut off the extra length. All of the stubs left behind weren’t sharp, but just to be safe I put some tape over top … do you think she would try to eat the tape?

Do you think I still need the vertical branches on the ledges if the plants aren’t directly tied to the dragon ledges? I made platforms out of sticks and wooden dowels.. then I put the plants on them and connected the pots to the branches. There is tape on the branches and dowels 😅 I used zip ties to secure them, then I cut off the extra length. All of the stubs left behind weren’t sharp, but just to be safe I put some tape over top … do you think she would try to eat the tape?
So yes for the ledges to work effectively I would have them. Pots need to be secured to the branches with the zip ties. If they are just sitting on them then you risk them falling.

Every piece of tape has to be removed this is a major risk with a cham. Sticky and cham skin is very dangerous. So all the tape is high risk if it peels up and she gets it stuck to her then trying to remove it can cause serious injury. To the point of peeling her skin off. We have seen it a few times in the forum and it is absolutely horrendous.

So yes for the ledges to work effectively I would have them. Pots need to be secured to the branches with the zip ties. If they are just sitting on them then you risk them falling.

Every piece of tape has to be removed this is a major risk with a cham. Sticky and cham skin is very dangerous. So all the tape is high risk if it peels up and she gets it stuck to her then trying to remove it can cause serious injury. To the point of peeling her skin off. We have seen it a few times in the forum and it is absolutely horrendous.
I’ll make sure to remove the tape!! 😳
Sorry I forgot to mention that the pots are also connected to the branches with zip ties so they won’t fall, but I’ll make sure to add some vertical branches on the dragon ledges

I’ll make sure to remove the tape!! 😳
Sorry I forgot to mention that the pots are also connected to the branches with zip ties so they won’t fall, but I’ll make sure to add some vertical branches on the dragon ledges
Yeah you definitely want the verticals. That is what supports your weight that your attaching to the ledges.

Back
Top Bottom