New buddy

Looks to be somewhere size wise of a 6 month old. But prior care can stunt growth if it was not on point. I am going through your form now.

He is currently in the small cage right because your waiting on the UVB bulb for the new cage?
Yes. Just got the uvb installed

@Beman Thanks so much for the knowledge. I am taking it all in will make the appropriate changes.
On to the concerning issue with the mouth open. This has been not just in basking but throughout the cage

That looks like a really great setup
Thank you. I'm so nervous about putting him in there. I know it will be MUCH better than what he is in now but I'm dredding fighting temps and humidity and breaking in the uvb bulbs! He is gonna be so happy and surprised tomorrow!!!🤞

@Beman
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets and superworms. Was about 15 bugs Dailey until the worms spoiled him. Now he only eats about 4 or 5 crickets. Gut loading crickets with collard greens, Sweat potatoes and carrots. Ok need to get him back on crickets... Remove the superworms replace with something else. He needs to be taking down 15 or so feeders a day at this age for growth. See gutload image to add more variety.
In regards to this... should I worry he is being so picky and not eating what he should be? He most certainly is eating

@Beman Thanks so much for the knowledge. I am taking it all in will make the appropriate changes.
On to the concerning issue with the mouth open. This has been not just in basking but throughout the cage
Ok so opening the mouth like this not just at basking can be a sign of a respiratory infection. I have only ever experienced it with my veiled when humidity levels were much too high in the day time. Do you have any idea where your humidity is sitting?

Thank you. I'm so nervous about putting him in there. I know it will be MUCH better than what he is in now but I'm dredding fighting temps and humidity and breaking in the uvb bulbs! He is gonna be so happy and surprised tomorrow!!!🤞
What do you mean breaking in the UVB bulbs... As long as the distance is correct to the branch below it for the bulb strength and fixture type your fine. If you want to give me details on the UVB bulb you bought (only need one) and the fixture type then I can give you your distance to branch.
@Beman
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets and superworms. Was about 15 bugs Dailey until the worms spoiled him. Now he only eats about 4 or 5 crickets. Gut loading crickets with collard greens, Sweat potatoes and carrots. Ok need to get him back on crickets... Remove the superworms replace with something else. He needs to be taking down 15 or so feeders a day at this age for growth. See gutload image to add more variety.
In regards to this... should I worry he is being so picky and not eating what he should be? He most certainly is eating
This is the time you want them eating. They need it for growth. He is too young for a natural curb down in feeders. So either he only wants superworms or something else is effecting him... This is where the concern is. Lack of UVB can cause lack of appitite. But you said he was gaping which makes me concerned about chance of respiratory infection. Illness will also cause them to eat less.

Ok so opening the mouth like this not just at basking can be a sign of a respiratory infection. I have only ever experienced it with my veiled when humidity levels were much too high in the day time. Do you have any idea where your humidity is sitting?

What do you mean breaking in the UVB bulbs... As long as the distance is correct to the branch below it for the bulb strength and fixture type your fine. If you want to give me details on the UVB bulb you bought (only need one) and the fixture type then I can give you your distance to branch.

This is the time you want them eating. They need it for growth. He is too young for a natural curb down in feeders. So either he only wants superworms or something else is effecting him... This is where the concern is. Lack of UVB can cause lack of appitite. But you said he was gaping which makes me concerned about chance of respiratory infection. Illness will also cause them to eat less.
Okay. I will see how he reacts to the new lights/ enclosure. Probably give it a few days and go from there. Either way, I feel like a veterinary checkup is in near future anyhow. Poo sample and overall health. As far as the uvb. Chameleon academy says to be careful with the t5ho linear lights do to the"breaking in period" (appx 12hrs if I remember correctly) I guess the output is much stronger when new then lowers over a bit of time? I could be mistaken it was from cham academy. I've done a ton of research lately and this may have come from another source. However, I do have the solarmeter 6.5R, so either way it will be monitored. I am only using one uvb bulb (reptisun t5ho 5.0) 4foot linear I believe 54watt

Okay. I will see how he reacts to the new lights/ enclosure. Probably give it a few days and go from there. Either way, I feel like a veterinary checkup is in near future anyhow. Poo sample and overall health. As far as the uvb. Chameleon academy says to be careful with the t5ho linear lights do to the"breaking in period" (appx 12hrs if I remember correctly) I guess the output is much stronger when new then lowers over a bit of time? I could be mistaken it was from cham academy. I've done a ton of research lately and this may have come from another source. However, I do have the solarmeter 6.5R, so either way it will be monitored. I am only using one uvb bulb (reptisun t5ho 5.0) 4foot linear I believe 54watt
So in my experience they do produce a slightly higher uvi at first. But it is not enough to worry about. You will probably see levels in the 3.5-4.0 range at first with that 8-9 inch distance to basking branch. These balance out ones the bulb has been run to more of the 3.0-3.3 range in my experience.

So in my experience they do produce a slightly higher uvi at first. But it is not enough to worry about. You will probably see levels in the 3.5-4.0 range at first with that 8-9 inch distance to basking branch. These balance out ones the bulb has been run to more of the 3.0-3.3 range in my experience.
Okay. Thanks again so much! I'm sure there will be more as he will be moving in as soon as I get home!

Does anyone here have an idea on how long it can take for a veiled chameleon to feel comfortable in a new enclosure? He is so stressed. I'm worried. He's not eating he is definitely showing stressed colors and not moving around to much

Does anyone here have an idea on how long it can take for a veiled chameleon to feel comfortable in a new enclosure? He is so stressed. I'm worried. He's not eating he is definitely showing stressed colors and not moving around to much
Good news he doesn't seem to close his eyes anymore in day. And I haven't noticed him gapping like he had been before. So I'm thinking the husbandry is now good but he is just stressed out from being in new place

I haven't seen him going to basking branch at all. Which according to current husbandry standards is spot on. Unless I'm missing something

@Beman suggested more plants in there. Which I'd love to do but i am in a tight spot, since I've invested so much $ into getting him set up the way it is currently.

I know what you mean, my daughter brought me a wild one she caught. I had to get information and then buy a bunch of stuff immediately. Don't listen to Petco because everything they sell you is mostly wrong. I found this forum and received outstanding help from so many people. Yeap lots and lots of plants. I have 5 pothos in mine.

I know what you mean, my daughter brought me a wild one she caught. I had to get information and then buy a bunch of stuff immediately. Don't listen to Petco because everything they sell you is mostly wrong. I found this forum and received outstanding help from so many people. Yeap lots and lots of plants. I have 5 pothos in mine.
I have 3 decently established pothos, and many pothos babies growing in small planters at bottom. A Swiss cheese plant. A well developed spider plant, with many "spider babies" hanging off, a small money tree (15inches) and a dwarf umbrella, which doesn't do much but is starting to grow quite nicely. Plus a bunch of baby spider plants that I planted in small pots hanging on outside of cage... plus one more pothos (good size) waiting on rocks to go on top soil. Oh and a prayer plant too! Which doesn't do much for coverage for him but takes up a nice corner on bottom

I have 3 decently established pothos, and many pothos babies growing in small planters at bottom. A Swiss cheese plant. A well developed spider plant, with many "spider babies" hanging off, a small money tree (15inches) and a dwarf umbrella, which doesn't do much but is starting to grow quite nicely. Plus a bunch of baby spider plants that I planted in small pots hanging on outside of cage... plus one more pothos (good size) waiting on rocks to go on top soil. Oh and a prayer plant too! Which doesn't do much for coverage for him but takes up a nice corner on bottom
I have a feeling, soon, I will be "snipping back" to control growth

Cannot wait to see it when it fills in. I didn't put any plants on bottom so it is easier to clean. I do have a lot of branches which I'm wrapping with pothos now. I tried money and umbrella trees but I have to many branches for that.

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_093623.jpg
    IMG_20230102_093623.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 36
Cannot wait to see it when it fills in. I didn't put any plants on bottom so it is easier to clean. I do have a lot of branches which I'm wrapping with pothos now. I tried money and umbrella trees but I have to many branches for that.
Yeah, I had to work them in while adding branches. Handsome guy you have there! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom