New Bioactive Setup Advice Please

SharpShooter

Avid Member
We have a 3 year old beardie and a young crestie, (plus marine tanks, dog, rabbits etc). The crestie is in a Bioactive Setup using a 45x45x60 Exo Terra. I am hoping to do a similar setup, which only when done and ready, would be home home for a panther.

As I would really prefer a bioactive setup, I am thinking of using a 90x60x90 Exo Terra, fully planted with the addition of a small fan to provide additional airflow (not blowing a gale of course) and a misting system.

Whilst I don't have unlimited budget, I'm in no way trying to do this on the cheap. If it's needed to ensure the chameleons health and wellbeing, it's not optional!

Does anyone see any problems with this sort of setup before I ask my main question?

Can I use oak and vines found in the UK as the basic structures of the setup. I have access to some great knarly oak branches as well as vines ranging from a few mm to a few cm thick, which I think are Hedera Helix.

Even if I'm wrong with the species, is there an issue in using oak and vines common to the UK to create the base shape and to cover the glass sides of the Exo Terra before planting the enclosure?

Any advice, especially from those with bioactive setups, much appreciated, thanks.

image.jpg
Works for me.

Nice, just what I've got in mind. Just need to be sure I'm good with oak pieces and the vines as part of the setup. I'm guessing they would be OK as we're not talking green stuff that could be nibbled and not aromatic woods or full of resins. I've read online a few people using them it I want to be safe not sorry.

Something is nagging me about Ivy but I can't remember what and I don't have time to look it up right now.
I'll take some pics of the stuff I've seen tomorrow and post. It's not like the green ivy that grows up walls, although there's plenty of that around in the same place. Thanks all.

Agreed extensionofgreen knows an insane amount about animals and plants. Any of his posts are extremely informative. I met him in person last year and saw his set ups. Definitely knows his stuff!

OK, I collected some vines today along with some oak branches. This is what I'm thinking for the sides of the viv as a starting point for structure and providing cover & security for a future occupant.

Theese are the leaves on the vines that actually have any. There is no foliage on the vines I'm hoping to use.

This is what they look like on the trees. I am of course not hacking down live stuff lol.

Do you have a bulkhead? I'm considering setting up in an exoterra this size.
You don’t need a bulkhead, before you add you drainage layer add a small pvc pipe that would stick out above all the layers like a well, cover it with some screen and maybe some cork bark to hide it, use a turkey Bastet or a wet vac when the water level is too high. I use that set up with my uroplatus enclosure

Do you have a bulkhead? I'm considering setting up in an exoterra this size.
Nope, and I’ve never had a need to drain. I probably don’t mist as much as others, but I mist throughout the night if needed (automated system). I assume this provides hydration through increased humidity during sleep. I would have never guessed, but this technique has become very popular as of recently. My enclosure is heavily planted and very bioactive. I run into more issues with light penetration than watering.

Back
Top Bottom