New baby veiled

Squishy

Here is a photo of my first chameleon.
She is about 2 months old, I had no idea how small she would really be :eek: . Her enclosure is quite large, I am wondering if for now I should feed her in a 10 gallon aquarium or if maybe I should make the 10 gallon her home until she grows a bit. I am worried that she might not find her food in the home I had set up. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 946436_10151587870717380_732230191_n.jpg
    946436_10151587870717380_732230191_n.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 181
I also wanted to double check that its okay for her to have no heat at night. The house gets to about 16 degrees at night

Hello there, I have just got a male baby Veiled (less than one week old! So tiny and cute :)).
I was told to keep mine to at least 20C even at night.
I have a small basking bulb which is suspended above the 20 Gal viv that I have set up for him.
He seem to be able to find his food ok, but I have quite a few fruit flies in there at all times for him.
I hope this helps you, as I am just a complete begginer myself here.

Oh, I forgot to say that taht is a 'stress' pattern on her in your photo. She looks fine, and they all do that sometimes. Just in case you didn't know why she was looking so cool in that photo.

I would have a nightime heatlight mabey 75 wtt depending on how big your enclousure is. 16 degrees is very very cold for a chameleon i keep mine at about 70 degrees during spring and summer at night.

I am not sure who is selling chansons this young as thy should not be sold until at least three months old.

A green gave wiki he much better than the 10 gallon even if it is larger.

I would add a small wattage ceramic heater to heat the tank to around 18c during the night. You cannot use a bulb that emits light as that will disturb the chameleons sleeping patterns

Thanks for the reply's!
I do know that you can not have light on at night, I think I will buy a ceramic heat emitter for her.
Yes she was stressed, she had just been introduced to her new home, I have had her for less than 24 hours.
This morning I got up just as her heat bulb was turning on, I went and misted the cage and within 5 min she was off to drink some water! Now to make sure she is finding food!

Try cup feeding her. I started cup feeding mine as soon as I got him home. That way you can monitor how much she is eating. When I first got Raine, who was just a month old, I put her crickets in a solo cup and hung it right below her basking branch. Hope this helps...:)

I went to go put a small cup of ity bity crickets in this morning... almost all had died over night. they had holes and food so I dont know why. I am trying my luck with a cup of worms and some 2-3 week old crickets.

I am not sure who is selling chansons this young as thy should not be sold until at least three months old.

A green gave wiki he much better than the 10 gallon even if it is larger.

I would add a small wattage ceramic heater to heat the tank to around 18c during the night. You cannot use a bulb that emits light as that will disturb the chameleons sleeping patterns

What is a chanson? And why should they not be sold until at least 3 months old? Most pet shops sell them from about 1 month old, if you mean the Yemen Chameleons :)

babies should not be sold before 3months old because they aren't considered completely stable before that point.

Babies are very prone to stress especially when being moved back and forth at that age.

What is a chanson? And why should they not be sold until at least 3 months old? Most pet shops sell them from about 1 month old, if you mean the Yemen Chameleons :)

Most responsible breeders who have studied chameleon husbandry know that selling baby chams, no matter the variety, before 3 months is risky. That's not saying any Cham sold earlier will have health problems. Personally I have never seen a 1 month old Cham for sale in a petsmart or petco but that doesn't mean it won't happen. If you have experience breeding, you will notice that chams become much bigger and more stable in terms of stature by 3 months. This just gives these chams a head start to being healthy adults. Ask around, you will see, 3 months

Most responsible breeders who have studied chameleon husbandry know that selling baby chams, no matter the variety, before 3 months is risky. That's not saying any Cham sold earlier will have health problems. Personally I have never seen a 1 month old Cham for sale in a petsmart or petco but that doesn't mean it won't happen. If you have experience breeding, you will notice that chams become much bigger and more stable in terms of stature by 3 months. This just gives these chams a head start to being healthy adults. Ask around, you will see, 3 months

I checked. The pets shops in my town both sell them from two months old, so we were both wrong lol.

Two things to remember... there is NO one right answer... and ... Pet stores do lots of things that they think are O.K.! ;) I hope you have nothing but good luck with your little one, and I was lucky enough to have a very young veiled cham sold to me, but there was a lot of luck involved! Hopefully I got a very healthy and strong cham, but all too often these animals are not given the proper care that is essential for good health and a great start in life.

I would not give up having Zaphod so young, because he was so amazing then, but I do understand the necessity of a strong and healthy chameleon. Most quality breeders will not consider shipping their animals until there is the greatest chance of success!

By the way, your house is chilly! :D:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom