New Baby Veiled Chameleon Owner

I agree with Amanda, your baby is probably a couple weeks old and should be set up in a tote/bin. I tried cup feeding small pinhead crickets but they were not interested. My little guys didn’t really start becoming interested in crickets until about 2 mo. I stuck with flightless fruit flies and small silk worms For the first couple of months. You can get fruit flies from Petco and order bigger cultures from Josh’s Frogs. I only dusted with calcium no D because I take my guys outside for natural sunshine just about everyday. I used linear UVB for heat as well (my house stays on the warmer side). I misted 3 times a day. Hope this helps...?

I agree with Amanda, your baby is probably a couple weeks old and should be set up in a tote/bin. I tried cup feeding small pinhead crickets but they were not interested. My little guys didn’t really start becoming interested in crickets until about 2 mo. I stuck with flightless fruit flies and small silk worms For the first couple of months. You can get fruit flies from Petco and order bigger cultures from Josh’s Frogs. I only dusted with calcium no D because I take my guys outside for natural sunshine just about everyday. I used linear UVB for heat as well (my house stays on the warmer side). I misted 3 times a day. Hope this helps...?
Yeah, he doesn't seem to be interested in the crickets

You've had some good advice on here already!

How long have you had him now? What are the cage temperatures?
You're not spraying water on its face, are you?
How many insects did he eat in the last two days?

Nobody should ever sell a chameleon that young to someone who hasn't had one before. IMHO it's not very ethical partly because there is a natural mortality rate and their small size needs caution with cage temperatures and watering, etc. I hope you can get it past the next few weeks.

Last edited:
You've had some good advice on here already!

How long have you had him now? What are the cage temperatures?
You're not spraying water on its face, are you?
How many insects did he eat in the last two days?

Nobody should ever sell a chameleon that young to someone who hasn't had one before. IMHO it's not very ethical partly because there is a natural mortality rate and their small size needs caution with cage temperatures and watering, etc. I hope you can get it past the next few weeks.
I hope so too, Today is day 3, the cage stays between 77 and 81, the humidity stays between 45 and 50, No i would never spray water in his face as it can get in their nostrils and they can drown, he's only eaten 3 crickets on the first day I got him, and I haven't been able to get him to eat anything since

I hope so too, Today is day 3, the cage stays between 77 and 81, the humidity stays between 45 and 50, No i would never spray water in his face as it can get in their nostrils and they can drown, he's only eaten 3 crickets on the first day I got him, and I haven't been able to get him to eat anything since
Ive even put him in a tote for free range but he still won't eat, theres no signs of dehydration or anything the only issue is he won't eat

Josh's Frogs is a great place for feeders. Call the 800 number and see if you can get it overnight to you and see if he has some pinheads

Back
Top Bottom