New Baby Veiled Chameleon Owner

Yesterday I fed him as many as he would eat but he only ate three, and he won't eat anything this morning, I have 1/4 crickets, and I have an order of mealworms coming in a week. He's shy and gets black stripes when I move around near him (misting cage & trying to tong feed him), but he's not aggressive at all, no gaping or hissing. But, I am worried about his eating, is it normal?, what do I do to get him to eat?, should I try again in an hour or so? Here's some info about him:
Name: Jade
Species: Veiled Chameleon
He was ordered from Backwater Reptiles with overnight shipping

(The image is from when I first took him out, I'm avoiding handling for a while to try and help him destress from shipping)
(The second image is from this morning)

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_120347715.jpg
    IMG_20200710_120347715.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200711_093216782.jpg
    IMG_20200711_093216782.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 96
By the way, 2-3 weeks is my guess, he may be even younger, he's very small, I've already had a scare about losing him because he blended in perfectly with one of the vines, we couldn't find him for half an hour, we were even looking around my room as if he had somehow escaped

3months is a good age to get one. Please, please and I can not stress this enough to make sure he has access to water. How little he is they dehydrate very fast. How are you providing that?

I have a dripper and every hour I've
3months is a good age to get one. Please, please and I can not stress this enough to make sure he has access to water. How little he is they dehydrate very fast. How are you providing that?

I've been going crazy with a spray bottle on the leaves and walls around him, careful not to spray him because I know that if it gets in their nostrils they can drown

You should get fruit flies, pinhead crickets, rice beetles, mantids ooths to hatch in his cage...

Also you should take the little one out of its enclosure and let it live in a plastic tote for the first 2 months.

The heat should only be 80-81 degrees at the hottest spot and the uv should be 9" away.

I would make a little jungle gym out of wooden dowels and hot glue and throw some fake leaves on the bottom of the tote.

If the little one is in shock it may not want to eat right away, but it should be eating like 15 or more bugs a day.

I am a little shocked that they sold this tiny of a baby to you! And suprised it lived through shipping.
Backwater reptiles is not a good company to buy from.

Okay, also you only need to water once in the morning and once at night...i liked to do a midday mist down too, but make sure your humidity is staying between 30-50% during the day. And I use my humidifier from 12-3 am to get a nice nighttime spike.

Okay, also you only need to water once in the morning and once at night...i liked to do a midday mist down too, but make sure your humidity is staying between 30-50% during the day. And I use my humidifier from 12-3 am to get a nice nighttime spike.
Okay thankyou the humidity has been around 45-50 consistently

I agree that mealworms are too big, and probably the 1/4 inch crickets are too big. You want tiny prey items. Seriously stock up on fruit flies. Youd be suprised how many they eat!

If you fill out the help form I can help answer those questions to get your baby off to the best start.

I just read where you said you are tong feeding..
Your baby is so tiny, it will only eat free range right now. Thats why I suggest a plastic tote. You can dump the bugs in there and your baby will hunt them.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I just read where you said you are tong feeding..
Your baby is so tiny, it will only eat free range right now. Thats why I suggest a plastic tote. You can dump the bugs in there and your baby will hunt them.
I did tong feeding because thats what the breeders I ordered him from had been doing

I did tong feeding because thats what the breeders I ordered him from had been doing
Did they say that to you? I highly doubt that is true (not that YOU are lying, but that they were not being truthful to you) I have not seen a baby tong feed or cup feed. But with backwater reptiles...who knows!

I strongly suggest the tote and free range method. It will give your baby the best chance, in my opinion.

I will tag in some knowledgeable people to help.
@jannb @kinyonga @janjan20

Back
Top Bottom