New Baby Veiled Chameleon Owner

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled, male, 2-3 weeks, 2 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • None so far
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • crickets, broccoli, and soon fruit flies, 3 crickets(as much as he will eat), twice a day, morning and night, gut loading with spinnach and tomato
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Repashy, once a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Dripper and hand mist, mist 4 times a day, yes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Haven't seen any feces yet, no
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • no

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • all screen, 48x24x24
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Fluker's lamp, 75-watt bulbs, 12 hours on 12 hours off
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a thermometer and humidity gauge, lowest overnight temp is 68
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • 45-50, By misting, humidity gauge
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • No live plants yet we're investing in some devils ivy this weekend
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Cage isn't under any vents, is by the window, low traffic area in my room, the cage has a one foot base under it, so its 5 feet tall
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Georgia

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I'm just anxious and want some extra care information

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Did they say that to you? I highly doubt that is true (not that YOU are lying, but that they were not being truthful to you) I have not seen a baby tong feed or cup feed. But with backwater reptiles...who knows!

I strongly suggest the tote and free range method. It will give your baby the best chance, in my opinion.

I will tag in some knowledgeable people to help.
@jannb @kinyonga @janjan20
Would it be okay to use a tote just for feeding and then move him back into his cage? Because I'm not sure how to set up lighting and everything with a tote

What kind of repashy are you using?
I would not use an all-in-one like repashy plus LoD yet. I would use a phosphorus free calcium WITH NO D3, very lightly on every feeding but 4 times a month (I choose Sunday) and then alternate between a calcium with d3 and a multivitamin with preformed vitamin A.

Also with reguards to gutloading, spinach binds calcium and blocks it from being absorbed correctly. I wouldnt use spinach or tomatoes (tomatoes are a nightshade plant and the leaves and stems are toxic,though im not sure about the fruit itself) and instead i use kale, squash, escarole, watercress, bell peppers, papaya and the seeds, melon, carrot and such. Im sure I can find the link.
You baby may not eat veggies ever, but that is okay, that is why we feed them to our bugs.

In reguards to your lighting, you will want a T5 long, linear bulb. 5.0 or 6% if going with arcadia lighting. The coil/compact uv is not sufficient for chameleons.

Would it be okay to use a tote just for feeding and then move him back into his cage? Because I'm not sure how to set up lighting and everything with a tote
That may be more stressful than it is worth. @jannb can show you pictures of her set ups when she gets on. I dont have any on my phone right now since I just erased my sd card.

What kind of repashy are you using?
I would not use an all-in-one like repashy plus LoD yet. I would use a phosphorus free calcium WITH NO D3, very lightly on every feeding but 4 times a month (I choose Sunday) and then alternate between a calcium with d3 and a multivitamin with preformed vitamin A.

Also with reguards to gutloading, spinach binds calcium and blocks it from being absorbed correctly. I wouldnt use spinach or tomatoes (tomatoes are a nightshade plant and the leaves and stems are toxic,though im not sure about the fruit itself) and instead i use kale, squash, escarole, watercress, bell peppers, papaya and the seeds, melon, carrot and such. Im sure I can find the link.
You baby may not eat veggies ever, but that is okay, that is why we feed them to our bugs.

In reguards to your lighting, you will want a T5 long, linear bulb. 5.0 or 6% if going with arcadia lighting. The coil/compact uv is not sufficient for chameleons.
I also have a bulblike this, i was only talking about the basking light

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food.jpg

Thank you so much, I no longer fret for the survival of my baby, I will research some setups about the tote and try to have it set up by tonight, and until the fruit flies come in I'll be using the smallest crickets I can find from the bunch,
Oh yes, it is very doable! Dont stress too much, even though I know how stressful it is the first time! Lol.

agreed, they didn't specify the age just "big baby", and on other sites that term referred to 3-4 month year olds, so i went a little crazy when I realized I didn't know the exact needs for a baby
They should've advertised as hatchling. Oh well, you didnt know. As long as you go through the resources on this site, use the tab on the top left of the screen, use the search bar to look up things, and ask ask ask all the questions you have, Im sure you will do fine!

Back
Top Bottom