New baby healthy?

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I got my 2 month old veiled chameleon yesterday and I was wondering if his poop looks ok or if hes dehydrated.

Attachments

• 20201023_160227.jpg
    20201023_160227.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 74
Hes only eaten a few bugs since he got here yesterday, and also, is it normal for him to be sitting with his mouth open?
Normally babies eat alot. But it's normal because you just got him. He is probably trying to get used to his new home. Is he puffing up and opening his mouth, or his his mouth just open?

The urates are a bit yellow....that means it could use more hydration.

Please post a couple of recent photos of your chameleon and the set up and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can check your husbandry.

Please post a couple of recent photos of your chameleon and the set up and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can check your husbandry.

Attachments

• Resized952020102395150412-01.jpg
    Resized952020102395150412-01.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Resized952020102395144057-01.jpg
    Resized952020102395144057-01.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201022_184935.jpg
    20201022_184935.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 56
Looks healthy. Can't see much of the cage though.
If you answer he questions in the how to ask for help,thread near the top of the health forum we can check your husbandry.

2 month old male veiled chameleon, got him 2 days ago.
Never handled him.
So I had an issue with my crickets and bsf larvae arriving so I had to get meal worms and he ate 2 of those the day he got here and a couple crickets the next day when they got here. It a diy feeder I made. They ate gutloalded with carrots and apples I plan to get more of a verity soon. He gets calcium without d3 every feeding and he will get calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month.
I had mist his enclosure about every hour(may be a little excessive) I am worried that he isnt drinking, I haven't seen him drink at all.
You've seen the picture of his poop that's the only one I've found. He hasn't been tested for parasites tho.
Not really any history.
All screen cage 4½x2x2 but I've put shower curtain on the back and sides to keep in humidity. I have a t5 5.0 reptisun 24 inch and a 40 watt house bulb they are on from 8am to 8pm.
His basking spot is about 83 to 85 at the highest and 76 towards the bottom.
Humidity is about 60 during the day and almost 70 at night I also put a blanket over the front of the cage due to my fan in my room, I'm worried he will get too cold.

I have a pothos that's perfect for his little feet and a monstera deliciosa.

The cafe is on the floor but it's a total for 6 ft tall so he is usually taller than me. I have a ceiling fan but it's not too strong if that makes sense. No traffic
I am in central Florida

Never handled him.
This is young. Usually they don’t go home until 3-4 months.
So I had an issue with my crickets and bsf larvae arriving so I had to get meal worms and he ate 2 of those the day he got here and a couple crickets the next day when they got here
Mealworms are a no no. They are hard for chameleons to digest especially a baby. Get crickets and BSFL and feed those. Give him time. He needs to be left alone and be able to adjust on his own.
. It a diy feeder I made. They ate gutloalded with carrots and apples I plan to get more of a verity soon. He gets calcium without d3 every feeding and he will get calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month.
I had mist his enclosure about every hour(may be a little excessive) I am worried that he isnt drinking, I haven't seen him drink at all.
Cut back to 2-3 times a day. Before lights on, run a dripper during the day and before or after lights off.
You've seen the picture of his poop that's the only one I've found. He hasn't been tested for parasites tho.
If he is dehydrated the yellow/orange will be constant in the urate
Not really any history.
All screen cage 4½x2x2 but I've put shower curtain on the back and sides to keep in humidity. I have a t5 5.0 reptisun 24 inch and a 40 watt house bulb they are on from 8am to 8pm.
For a baby this young you need to lower it to no higher than 80. How high is your basking branch? How are you measuring temps?

Humidity is about 60 during the day and almost 70 at night I also put a blanket over the front of the cage due to my fan in my room, I'm worried he will get too cold.
A little to high 25-50. A night time drop is good for them. Are you fogging at night? A great way to hydrate is through fogging at night to get humidity to 80-100. As long as it dosent drop below 55-60 he’ll be fine.

If you have fake plants i would remove them and replace with all real. Veileds have a tendency to eat their plants and you don’t want to to rick impaction.

The cafe is on the floor but it's a total for 6 ft tall so he is usually taller than me. I have a ceiling fan but it's not too strong if that makes sense. No traffic
I am in central Florida

Never handled him.
This is young. Usually they don’t go home until 3-4 months. I know, i got him from flchams that's what I could find.
So I had an issue with my crickets and bsf larvae arriving so I had to get meal worms and he ate 2 of those the day he got here and a couple crickets the next day when they got here
Mealworms are a no no. They are hard for chameleons to digest especially a baby. Get crickets and BSFL and feed those. Give him time. He needs to be left alone and be able to adjust on his own. they came yesterday so I've been feeding them to him he just hasn't eaten a whole lot.
. It a diy feeder I made. They ate gutloalded with carrots and apples I plan to get more of a verity soon. He gets calcium without d3 every feeding and he will get calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month.
Cut back to 2-3 times a day. Before lights on, run a dripper during the day and before or after lights off. I run a dripper all day and all night, I will cut back on misting I just wanted him to drink so I figured he would with it being wet in there.
If he is dehydrated the yellow/orange will be constant in the urate how do I get him to drink?
Not really any history.
For a baby this young you need to lower it to no higher than 80. How high is your basking branch? How are you measuring temps? it's about 12 inches from the lights and I use 2 thermometers and a temp gun. I guess I'll have to go down to a 20 watt.

A little to high 25-50. A night time drop is good for them. Are you fogging at night? A great way to hydrate is through fogging at night to get humidity to 80-100. As long as it dosent drop below 55-60 he’ll be fine. I so not use anything at night but a dripper I'll cut back on misting.

If you have fake plants i would remove them and replace with all real. Veileds have a tendency to eat their plants and you don’t want to to rick impaction. I have these plastic plants hanging on the sides that he like to hide in, i didnt really think he would be able to get a piece off considering its plastic.

The cage is on the floor but it's a total for 6 ft tall so he is usually taller than me. I have a ceiling fan but it's not too strong if that makes sense. No traffic
I am in central Florida

• He may not eat for awhile. He needs time to settle in.
  • You don’t want your humidity in the 60’s all day. It can cause respiratory infection
  • If you’re worried about hydration invest in a fogger. It will help a lot with hydration. Run it for a few hours during the night.
  • You can only encourage drinking, not exactly force it. Mist and let the dripper run. Leave him alone right now. Allow him to have privacy and explore his new home.
  • At this age he shouldn’t need a basking bulb. The UVB light will give off enough heat. In a month or so get a household bulb. Highest branch should be 9 inches down to get adequate UVI. Has he screen climbed at all?
  • They will indeed eat plastic, silk, etc plants. You said you had a pothos i believe. Get another one and fill in where you have the fake plants. If you really want to you can put the fake plants on the outside of the cage.

• He may not eat for awhile. He needs time to settle in.
  • You don’t want your humidity in the 60’s all day. It can cause respiratory infection
  • If you’re worried about hydration invest in a fogger. It will help a lot with hydration. Run it for a few hours during the night.
  • You can only encourage drinking, not exactly force it. Mist and let the dripper run. Leave him alone right now. Allow him to have privacy and explore his new home.
  • At this age he shouldn’t need a basking bulb. The UVB light will give off enough heat. In a month or so get a household bulb. Highest branch should be 9 inches down to get adequate UVI. Has he screen climbed at all?
  • They will indeed eat plastic, silk, etc plants. You said you had a pothos i believe. Get another one and fill in where you have the fake plants. If you really want to you can put the fake plants on the outside of the cage.
Hes been on the screen a little bit, hes tried getting on the top as I know they tend to do that I had to coax him off so he wouldnt burn himself, also I have never heard of not needing a heat bulb I dont think it's going to get warm enough for him in his big cage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom