New and Doing HW

@jamest0o0 Yeah, I think I'm over the bug thing and don't mind it as much. I will probably keep a small colony of Dubia in the garage and that's about it.

@JacksJill I could totally see this happening. Like I said I already have the itch to try a couple of species once I get the first one where I'm comfortable with the work.

As for the dishes I just meant would that be a sustainable way to feed him if I'm gone for a week.

I felt somebody should warn you.
There are some good feeder cups out there Nick Bart a site sponsor sells some nice ones or you can make your own. You just need to give them some drainage as most feeders aren't good swimmers and the overspray from the mister will fill them up eventually. It helps if the bugs have something to climb up on and get your chams attention.

I would look into orange heads instead of dubia. They're more active and for some reason some chameleons seem to get bored or not like dubia at all. Just Google on the forums how many people come and ask why their chameleon hates dubias. Having said that, it doesn't mean that your chameleon will not like dubias or that your chameleon will absolutely eat orange heads

I will look it up but are orange heads similar in their clean, can't run up smooth sides, and can't fly? Good point about the dubias. I have read that some chams don't like them. To be honest I don't blame them. Haha. Roaches don't look too tasty. Don't like the green banana roaches due to their similarities to house roaches.

Yeah, smaller cage is more so just to make them easier to spot when they are younger, but to be honest, if I didn't have cages from previous reptiles, Chandler would have gone straight into his adult enclosure.

Ok, I realized I said "just Google on the forums" haha. I meant just look up in the forums.

Orange heads do not climb up smooth surfaces and do not fly. The only downside to them is that they have a defensive odor when disturbed. So when you go to get some or feed them you will probably smell something, but should then stop. You shouldn't smell anything if the colony isn't being disturbed

Lol my chams give me the look when I offer dubia like, uh how bout you eat that? Though my parson's loves dubia and pretty much any roach I offer, but hates every worm-like bug(supers, silks, hornworms). They're all different with their preferences

I will look it up but are orange heads similar in their clean, can't run up smooth sides, and can't fly? Good point about the dubias. I have read that some chams don't like them. To be honest I don't blame them. Haha. Roaches don't look too tasty. Don't like the green banana roaches due to their similarities to house roaches.
Oh yeah...roaches are nice and juicy in the middle.:D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Haha nice. Sounds like I might have to see what my first cham will even eat before I think about colonies. Don't want to waste time with one to fine my Cham doesn't even want it. I have also started to reaeares Indian stick bugs. Are they worth the time?

They aren't very nutritious, but make a nice variety feeder. You can always get your cham to eat roaches, just don't feed them anything else until they're hungry enough to take them.

They aren't very nutritious, but make a nice variety feeder. You can always get your cham to eat roaches, just don't feed them anything else until they're hungry enough to take them.

I thought roaches were considered a possible staple? So you recommend to strictly go with crickets and everything else is a treat/snack?

oh man I feel dumb. I literally asked about that sorry. I could see how they would be low on nutrition being so thin but I see it on a lot of lists. Planned it as a treat but they seem a little challenging to keep/breed.

Oh ok. I was reading into the Indian ones and they seemed like it would take a while to build a colony. Do the northern ones take a while?

In my experience no, I was given a single female when I was younger and kept them as pets, had usually ten adults, they produce eggs like crazy ended up squishing most of the eggs to keep the population in check. They do have cannabalistic nature if not kept well fed. They also are native to North America so you wouldn't have to worry about it being illegal to keep I believe.

Last edited:
Ok I will look into these and see if I can get some since they don't seem super creepy and are actually very interesting. Maybe the wife won't be scared.

Back
Top Bottom