New African Member

I actually dont remember seeing any while we were there :) We did see a lot of amazing animals while we were in Africa tho!

wow, you are very lucky, welcome to the forums im sure you will enjoy it here and we will enjoying having you, cant wait to pester you with questions LoL

What geckos are in your area?
Any cordylus lizards?

The common gecko in my area is Afrogecko porphyreus, but I have seen a smaller species, the Striped Dwarf Leaf-toed Gecko (Goggia lineata) with different habits that I am not acquainted with.
They are tiny (about 4cm) and must be close to the smallest gecko in Sub Saharan Africa.
Am busy researching it and will try to send you a pic.

Ahh! Now we are talking about one of my most beloved creatures.
Cordylus cordylus (the Cape Girdled Lizard) is fairly abundant in the local mountains and is a very striking fellow!
They have pitch black dorsal pigmentation here on the Cape Peninsula.

The photo attached is not mine.

Attachments

• 220px-Cape_Girdled_Lizard_Cordylus_cordylus_Cape_Town.jpg
    220px-Cape_Girdled_Lizard_Cordylus_cordylus_Cape_Town.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 86
"I assume this is the gecko?....
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/i...taxon=Goggia+lineata&title_tag=Goggia+lineata[/"

That's the one.
There are a few outside my window coming out during the day to bask in the sun. They won't let me photograph them (they think!) although I did manage to get a few blurry pics.
I don't think that they are entirely nocturnal... as is often claimed. I've seen them at the pond, even during sunny conditions.
Goggia lineata behaves more like a very alert skink than a ghecko.
Got cabin fever with the wind howling again today.

Back
Top Bottom