New Addition

Direwolf

Established Member
Hello forum members! After months of preparation and research, I will *finally* be bringing home my 3 month old baby Panther, Ketôjan, this Thursday. I am busting with excitement but also some nerves! The enclosure is completely ready (dragon strand breeder enclosure devised under Bill Strand's "advanced setup," live plants including pothos, scheffelera, tilandsia, and bromeliad; reptisun 5.0 uvb, white/red/blue LED for plants; 60w basking bulb, mistking, and a slew of small feeders ready for gut loading and dusting with repashy products.

My question is: how can I ensure my little one has the very best first few weeks with me? Any tips for me? I feel like a nervous soon-to-be Dad! Thanks for any advice and for putting up with my new Cham keeper jitters. - Jordan

Hi Jordan. It sounds like you are well prepared, but try not to worry too much.Oh, you are going to have questions, believe me, but that is what we are here for! They are amazing little creatures to own. When I got my first one, my daughter and I pulled up chairs and sat there and stared at it for hours! We did sit back though as not to scare the little thing too much. The best advice I can give, is just be patient and give him some space and time to get used to you and the new environment. I usually do not try and handle mine for the first week or so, so they can settle in.

Hi Jordan. It sounds like you are well prepared, but try not to worry too much.Oh, you are going to have questions, believe me, but that is what we are here for! They are amazing little creatures to own. When I got my first one, my daughter and I pulled up chairs and sat there and stared at it for hours! We did sit back though as not to scare the little thing too much. The best advice I can give, is just be patient and give him some space and time to get used to you and the new environment. I usually do not try and handle mine for the first week or so, so they can settle in.
Thank you, Carol! It makes me feel better knowing someone can relate :) I will definitely plan to give him plenty of space to acclimate to his new home with minimal interference. Thanks again; I love having this community of keepers!

One thing that is important you have to resist the urge to handle him until he settles in. And second most important thing is to make sure he is good and hydrated.

Excellent thanks, Brownie! The mistking is set to go off for 1 minute intervals; once about 40 minutes after lights-up in the AM; once around 1pm; and lastly about 2 hours before lights-out in the evening. I think that's sufficient for the little guy to drink? The pothos keeps lots of water on its leaves after each misting. I will monitor the urates to ensure he is adequately hydrated. If orange hue, I will increase the timing of the misting sessions to encourage more active drinking. Thanks!

One thing that is important you have to resist the urge to handle him until he settles in. And second most important thing is to make sure he is good and hydrated.
I agree. Especially if he's being shipped. Mist 3times a day, faithfully, & he'll be fine.
To get mine used to me; I wake up, mist my baby, go down to make coffee & collect feeders. Then I go back up & have coffee while I watch my Panther have his bfast. I've had my new one just two weeks & he's already poised & waiting when I bring his bfast. Lol! Sometimes he can't wait for me to dump the feeders in, but snatches them right out of the cup. :rolleyes:

I agree. Especially if he's being shipped. Mist 3times a day, faithfully, & he'll be fine.
To get mine used to me; I wake up, mist my baby, go down to make coffee & collect feeders. Then I go back up & have coffee while I watch my Panther have his bfast. I've had my new one just two weeks & he's already poised & waiting when I bring his bfast. Lol! Sometimes he can't wait for me to dump the feeders in, but snatches them right out of the cup. :rolleyes:
That's very cute, Andie! I love the routine :) What are you feeding your Panther? I'm starting my little one on 1/4" crix, small dubia, and phoenix worms.

Can't wait to see little Ketôjan!! I would love to see your new setup too!! Congrats!
Thanks so much! I've learned much by reading many of your posts and others. I have wanted a chameleon since I was old enough to read about reptiles..now as an adult it was the right time after lots of research. Ketojan is a Dark Sky baby from the Kammerflage clan. I will definitely upload pics of him and his enclosure! This pic is from the KK team.

Attachments

• Ketojan 2.jpg
    Ketojan 2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 135
Thanks so much! I've learned much by reading many of your posts and others

Thank you for the kind compliment! He looks fantastic. Can't go wrong with a Kammerflage baby!

I would like to personally tell you that I think it is impressive that you put so much thought and time into your research before purchasing your chameleon. To resist and delay your first chameleon purcahse is terribly hard...so well done! I'm sure he will do great in your hands!

The fever begins.......fore warning!

Thank you for the kind compliment! He looks fantastic. Can't go wrong with a Kammerflage baby!

I would like to personally tell you that I think it is impressive that you put so much thought and time into your research before purchasing your chameleon. To resist and delay your first chameleon purcahse is terribly hard...so well done! I'm sure he will do great in your hands!

The fever begins.......fore warning!
Thank you! Yes, the fever begins haha. Now the trick is ensuring I keep a happy spouse AND cham (ie: no dubias in plain sight lol).

Thank you! Yes, the fever begins haha. Now the trick is ensuring I keep a happy spouse AND cham (ie: no dubias in plain sight lol).
Lol! Had to chuckle at that. One of my kids has a true bug phobia. She made me swear to never bring a roach into the house.
Like you, I researched chams for at least a year before getting one. She watched & listened....

To answer your question on feeders; at the moment, crickets, stable flies(his favorite!), soon to feed silk worms. I've also fed super worms, hornworms, Indian stcks, & pink wings with other babies.

I've got a lot of different critters, but none has fascinated me as much as these, little guys.(y)

You have made an excellent choice to buy from Kammerflage! They are awesome people and have been around a very long time in the chameleon breeding business. The chameleon in my avatar is from them and I also had a Sambava panther from them that unfortunately passed away at about 3 yrs of age. You mentioned that you had caught the fever...you will find it is more like an addiction!! :eek:

You have made an excellent choice to buy from Kammerflage! They are awesome people and have been around a very long time in the chameleon breeding business. The chameleon in my avatar is from them and I also had a Sambava panther from them that unfortunately passed away at about 3 yrs of age. You mentioned that you had caught the fever...you will find it is more like an addiction!! :eek:
Thank you, Carol! I welcome the addiction!!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Lol! Had to chuckle at that. One of my kids has a true bug phobia. She made me swear to never bring a roach into the house.
Like you, I researched chams for at least a year before getting one. She watched & listened....

To answer your question on feeders; at the moment, crickets, stable flies(his favorite!), soon to feed silk worms. I've also fed super worms, hornworms, Indian stcks, & pink wings with other babies.

I've got a lot of different critters, but none has fascinated me as much as these, little guys.(y)
LOL thanks for sharing, Andie! Your cham gets quite a buffet. That's fantastic!

Thanks everyone! I said I'd post a few pictures of the enclosure...it's a large Dragon Strand breeder series enclosure. MistKing installed in the top left. Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 60w basking buld at top, along with red/white/blue LEDs for the plants. Plants include three pothos, a bromeliad, and two tilandsias. On the lower quarter is the feeder cup which I intend to use mostly for dubia :eek:

Attachments

• Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 154
  • enclosure2.jpg
    enclosure2.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 141
  • enslocure3.jpg
    enslocure3.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 149
Thanks everyone! I said I'd post a few pictures of the enclosure...it's a large Dragon Strand breeder series enclosure. MistKing installed in the top left. Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 60w basking buld at top, along with red/white/blue LEDs for the plants. Plants include three pothos, a bromeliad, and two tilandsias. On the lower quarter is the feeder cup which I intend to use mostly for dubia :eek:

Right on!!! That looks awesome...well done!! Isn't expanding foam great!!!

I like it a lot. How did you do the foam sides?

Back
Top Bottom