new 2x2x4 for motley my Ambanja panther

Motley09

this is my new 2x2x4 screen cage. that i setup today. it has an umbrella plant, some bamboo shoots with fake foliage and fake flowers wrapping them for some color. there is a long wooden parrot pearch that has bio vines reaching all spots in the cage, also there is a parrot ladder that is wrapped in bio vines he really seems to like going up and down the ladder. i added the fake flowers just to get some color in there i was bored of all green and brown. let me know what u guys and girls think some feedback would be great thanks

Attachments

• motley 047.jpg
    motley 047.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 362
looks good the cherry blossoms are a great touch!! I HAVE been trying to find some color to add to my cage as well and I think u have now inspired me to get the cherry blossoms!!:p

thanks guys i got all the fake cherry blossoms ,other flowers , foliage and bamboo from a craft store called micheals it was under $20 can't beat it just washed it off really well. some of the foliage is from the pet store also. and next time i spot him using the ladder i will def. take a pic and post it

Looks good BUT

It looks like you have a money tree in there (schefflera actinophylla). Money trees are mildy toxic. Their leaves look like this
pachira+glabra+palmate+leaf.jpg

This is a schefflera arbicola
70024784.JPG

I may be wrong but if that is a money tree in there I would recommend replacing it with a schefflera arbicola.

See ya,

Todd

I got that. It shows two different plants. One (( Schefflera actinophylla )) is safe the other.. the (( Schefflera arboricola )) money tree isn't.

actually all schefflera's are slightly toxic if eaten as well as the ficus , rubber plants, pothos .ect the list can go on and on this one is an Amate which is a man made hybrid between the speicies. also known to be a schefflera dwarf is some stores lol. as for the cage i ordered it from LLLreptile.com it was like $90 shipped i think. it has a big door and the bottom also hindges to make cleaning easy :) also not evey Schefflera arboricola is dark green with yellow patches they have light green leaves as well and from what i can find all schefflera or umbrella plants are named money plants, there are other plants with that nickname too excuse any misspellings

actually all schefflera's are slightly toxic if eaten as well as the ficus , rubber plants, pothos .ect the list can go on and on this one is an Amate which is a man made hybrid between the speicies. also known to be a schefflera dwarf is some stores lol. as for the cage i ordered it from LLLreptile.com it was like $90 shipped i think. it has a big door and the bottom also hindges to make cleaning easy :) also not evey Schefflera arboricola is dark green with yellow patches they have light green leaves as well and from what i can find all schefflera or umbrella plants are named money plants, there are other plants with that nickname too excuse any misspellings

ye, the cage looks great, get some more pics on!

here are some more pics of the setup i got in alittle closer , there are a couple of him on the ladder. check them out thanks:D the last pic he started getting mad that i was in his space haha

Attachments

• motley 048.jpg
    motley 048.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 149
  • motley 049.jpg
    motley 049.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 145
  • motley 050.jpg
    motley 050.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 131
  • motley 051.jpg
    motley 051.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 173
  • motley 052.jpg
    motley 052.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 210
Ha ha awesome! I was hoping to see some of him actually climbing it! Don't know why but the idea of it just seems kind of funny! :D But in all seriousness, it does look great in there for him!

haha thanks i did some research on cage setups and there was a thread on another website about what to put in the cage. someone posted that they had a couple of parrot ladders in there and they always climb them. so i stole the idea haha and he does use it lol:D

I'm with Todd... I would not risk having something toxic in the cage. It is not only dangerous if eaten, it can cause skin and probably eye problems as well. Even if it is a hybrid between the two, I would not risk the chance that some of the harmful traits of the actinophylla have been carried over to the hybrid. You seem pretty confident in your knowledge of the plant though...it's your call. A plant with leaves like that always throws flags with people who study the safe plant lists.

I use Shef Arboricola, Pothos, Bougainvillea, Ficus Bejamina, and maybe some others I am forgetting... The Arboricola's have a lot of branches and the chams love the denseness of the plant. Not to mention the leaves gather water for drinking beautifully.

Again... I am no expert on the plants... and am one who unfortunately has to sort of blindly follow the safe plant lists that are available. You seem to know more than me on the subject... I just know to be cautious.:)

Well

I personally use shefflera arboricola in almost all of cages... My favorite for big cages like that are the arboricola "trees" that they sell at home depot. They pretty much fill up a whole cage. On top of that I use pothos ( because their vines can be put anywhere and they are hard to kill) and ficus benjamina. I realize the arboricola and the ficus are mildly toxic, however their toxicity levels are acceptable.
Now I don't have any solid evidence on hand showing the exact toxicity of any of these plants however I like to keep it safe.

I'm just trying to help,

Todd

Back
Top Bottom