Need to find a cham rescue ASAP!

#Chams4life

Avid Member
IMG_6288.JPG

IMG_6289.JPG

I was in petco today and saw very sickly male veiled chameleon. He has very bad MBD and the papilloma virus. I can't take him and risk spreading the virus to my chams. One of the workers has told me they would just give him to me for free. If I take him I would need to find him a new home, someone that would be able to give him the treatment needed without the possibility of contamination to other chameleons. If anyone can help please let me know.

View attachment 239605
View attachment 239606
I was in petco today and saw very sickly male veiled chameleon. He has very bad MBD and the papilloma virus. I can't take him and risk spreading the virus to my chams. One of the workers has told me they would just give him to me for free. If I take him I would need to find him a new home, someone that would be able to give him the treatment needed without the possibility of contamination to other chameleons. If anyone can help please let me know.

Let the debate of letting him die there and not giving them your money vs saving an animal in distress begin! :(

I’ll start us off.....

It’s in everyone’s best interest to leave him there no matter if he’s free or not.
If he is given freely to a rescue wouldnt that be better if not the same as letting it die there? Either way the Petco is losing money. I dont think it would be smart for a keeper to take it, but if it was brought to a rescue shelter? Then again I guess resources from the shelter would have to go toward this cham that is in really terrible shape... idk I'm just curious as to your reasoning behind this?

I'm not sure the petco people are smart enough to formulate the thoughts how to prevent this......this is very consistent with the commercial pet stores, I don't go to them anymore

I'm not convinced he has papilloma virus from that picture. I do see him having a horrible shed probably related to his deficiency disease(s).
Am I missing something in this picture?
I still wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole but I do pity him.
They took him to the vet. The worker who told me I could have him told me that, that is what the vet said he has.

If he is given freely to a rescue wouldnt that be better if not the same as letting it die there? Either way the Petco is losing money. I dont think it would be smart for a keeper to take it, but if it was brought to a rescue shelter? Then again I guess resources from the shelter would have to go toward this cham that is in really terrible shape... idk I'm just curious as to your reasoning behind this?
Agreed, a loss is a loss. I was really getting the conversation started...

I dunno..... With my current Battle with coccidia I would not touch anything that could remotely be contagious. Like I would not even walk up to the cage the poor thing is in. While I am very sad about the situation. The risk of transferring anything freaks me out totally now. Even just putting it in your car... Honestly I would not risk your chameleons and potentially taking anything home on you... It is Petco's problem they need to get him treatment.

I don't want to question the vets opinion they are there i person and I'm not but the papilloma virus infections I've seen look more like ragged toe nails growing in random places. The side of the face looks more like bad shed or old burn but if a skin scrape was done then the vet would know for sure. It's all academic at this point. The MBD is advanced.

I'm assuming since I'm coming in at the end of this post that he's probably not available but if he is I would love have him. I'm in Dallas, Fort Worth area. I actually used to work for a company in Arlington that was a exotic Import and Export for all kinds of exotic mammals and reptiles. Unfortunately or fortunately due to the lack space and with them over stocking these animals and poor living conditions and lack of qualified personnel I chose to resign and inform the proper authorities and they were shut down within a week. I actually worked in the mammal Departments. I couldn't take the pain in my heart seeing all of these animals suffer like that. this company actually supplied Petco and PetSmart as well as Petland. So during the few months I was there my house started to look a little bit like Noah's Ark LOL I had 2 chameleons two Red Tail Boas two ball 4 sugar gliders two water dragons and I would have had more if my girlfriend hadn't stopped me from bringing everything home.When I got off work and made it home I went right back to work because then I had to take care of my Army of animals. it wasn't a easy task for one person but I had to do whatever I could to help some of them. that being said I am definitely experienced in Animal Care for all types of mammals and reptiles. I've been on this site now for a while and I'm looking to get the opportunity to re-home any chameleons in need and however many I can in still provide the best care and living environment that I am able to give them. they are amazing creatures and I can't wait and I can't wait to have one of my own again. So if you you haven't found a home for him yet I would be more than interested in taking him but I am in Grand Prairie Texas. I don't know if that would be a problem or not. I know we used to have them shipped to us when I was working at the Exotic Animal place and I know it's stressful for them but I also know that it can be done. My luck since I'm catching post late he's probably already found a good home. which is amazing if he has! I really just wanted to put the word out again that I am in the DFW area and looking to help out in any way possible and to let y'all know to keep me in mind. My past chameleons were Jackson's and Veiled but I do not have a preference at all send any kind my way! I can't go out and spend a bunch of money for chameleons knowing that there are so many that are not being taken care of when I am more than capable of giving them a good home. I'll be keeping a close eye on this forum now because I was not aware of my notifications were not on But they are now. So please please please let me if you know of any needing a good home because I have one available! thank you for your time reading this I really appreciate it and I hope I'll be hearing from someone soon.

I'm assuming since I'm coming in at the end of this post that he's probably not available but if he is I would love have him. I'm in Dallas, Fort Worth area. I actually used to work for a company in Arlington that was a exotic Import and Export for all kinds of exotic mammals and reptiles. Unfortunately or fortunately due to the lack space and with them over stocking these animals and poor living conditions and lack of qualified personnel I chose to resign and inform the proper authorities and they were shut down within a week. I actually worked in the mammal Departments. I couldn't take the pain in my heart seeing all of these animals suffer like that. this company actually supplied Petco and PetSmart as well as Petland. So during the few months I was there my house started to look a little bit like Noah's Ark LOL I had 2 chameleons two Red Tail Boas two ball 4 sugar gliders two water dragons and I would have had more if my girlfriend hadn't stopped me from bringing everything home.When I got off work and made it home I went right back to work because then I had to take care of my Army of animals. it wasn't a easy task for one person but I had to do whatever I could to help some of them. that being said I am definitely experienced in Animal Care for all types of mammals and reptiles. I've been on this site now for a while and I'm looking to get the opportunity to re-home any chameleons in need and however many I can in still provide the best care and living environment that I am able to give them. they are amazing creatures and I can't wait and I can't wait to have one of my own again. So if you you haven't found a home for him yet I would be more than interested in taking him but I am in Grand Prairie Texas. I don't know if that would be a problem or not. I know we used to have them shipped to us when I was working at the Exotic Animal place and I know it's stressful for them but I also know that it can be done. My luck since I'm catching post late he's probably already found a good home. which is amazing if he has! I really just wanted to put the word out again that I am in the DFW area and looking to help out in any way possible and to let y'all know to keep me in mind. My past chameleons were Jackson's and Veiled but I do not have a preference at all send any kind my way! I can't go out and spend a bunch of money for chameleons knowing that there are so many that are not being taken care of when I am more than capable of giving them a good home. I'll be keeping a close eye on this forum now because I was not aware of my notifications were not on But they are now. So please please please let me if you know of any needing a good home because I have one available! thank you for your time reading this I really appreciate it and I hope I'll be hearing from someone soon.
He is no longer available but thank you for the interest! He was adopted by someone local that rescues chameleons with special needs

Back
Top Bottom