Need some input from Cham owners

kilgrave

Hi everybody,

I have been doing some research into my next reptile project and am enjoying the idea of a Chameleon. I visited a local reptile mom and pop store this weekend and enjoyed watching a veiled chameleon. I've done a lot of homework on the cage requirements and care. There is a few things that I am worried about as they are specific to me.

1) My reptile room is also my work office. I spend a lot of time during the day and night working on IT stuff. (fun I know) my question is, would a cham hate that my monitor is on for hours after lights out?

2) my reptile room temp also is a odd one. it stays usually in the mid 70's F on average, with some outlier dips to 69, or 80 here or there. Avg humidity is 15-20% for the room.

I am guessing that it would be difficult to keep a veiled in this room correct?

The mom and pop store also had a Cuban false chameleon, (i know that isn't a true chameleon) but has some cool chameleon features. I was wondering if that would be a better option then a veiled and if yes, is a screen cage best?

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I have been doing some research into my next reptile project and am enjoying the idea of a Chameleon. I visited a local reptile mom and pop store this weekend and enjoyed watching a veiled chameleon. I've done a lot of homework on the cage requirements and care. There is a few things that I am worried about as they are specific to me.

1) My reptile room is also my work office. I spend a lot of time during the day and night working on IT stuff. (fun I know) my question is, would a cham hate that my monitor is on for hours after lights out?

2) my reptile room temp also is a odd one. it stays usually in the mid 70's F on average, with some outlier dips to 69, or 80 here or there. Avg humidity is 15-20% for the room.

I am guessing that it would be difficult to keep a veiled in this room correct?

The mom and pop store also had a Cuban false chameleon, (i know that isn't a true chameleon) but has some cool chameleon features. I was wondering if that would be a better option then a veiled and if yes, is a screen cage best?

Thanks!
It doesn’t sound like ideal conditions for a chameleon. Keeping lights in a room with a lot of activity could easily stress the chameleon. Temps are fine with a heat lamp for basking, but the humidity levels are too low. For that reason, a screen cage would not be ideal. You would need to enclose some sides to try and increase humidity in the cage.

With humidity that low yes it’d be complicated veiled chameleons need higher humidity to that you can mist the cage down or put a humidifier in the enclosure
I don’t know about the moniter I know they hear vibration maybe someone who has more experience can give you more advice
You being in there for hours of the day isn’t a problem sitting there staring at it would be a problem they don’t like being looked at especially looked down at
Screen enclosure is best
Glass best for humidity
Temperature if good 70-80 degrees
With a slight drop at night mines at like 67ish and 75ish at the day
Hope this helps

Mine is in my office as well, but I don’t really go in there after lights out.

My female is in our master bathroom, where we do go at night.

What I have seen is they can get along with some low indirect light.
So it depends how much activity, and light change. This means if is dark, and a small light is turned on, they will notice and wake up if it is on long. However if a low light is left on they will sleep fine. If the monitors are not facing him he likely won’t be bothered. You will just have to see. You could also cover him at night. It will help with nighttime humidity, which should be higher.

Humidity can be controlled through misters and foggers

Back
Top Bottom