Need some expert advice

Dgood

Established Member
Hello all, been a little bit since I've posted about my mr little. As of now he is not doing very well, if you read on previous post about him we have been battling health problems since January. He has an enlarged gal bladder and still continues to do back leg grabbing. He had been fairing pretty well lately with a good appetite and lots of hydration. On Saturday he had a other small prolapse a d received his 2nd round of stitches to help control that. The first round worked wonders and he has been been doing really well since. They vets did have to sedate him to give the stitches on Saturday and he has not been very happy since then. He has drank a couple times but wont eat or move too much. I really don't want to give him his anti-inflammatory meds unless he can get some food in him, he seems very interested in his food though. Ugh, I just feel so bad for my little man, hes been a little soldier since all of this happened. Does anyone else have experience sedating thier older guys? Also any experience with stitches to help reduce prolapse? Any advice and info from people with older chams and similar issues would be great. Just for reference, he will be 8 years old in November......

Wow, 8 years old! He’s done well to be that old. I wish I could offer you some advice or encouragement but I don’t have any experience with this. I hope someone else can help.

Wow, 8 years old! He’s done well to be that old. I wish I could offer you some advice or encouragement but I don’t have any experience with this. I hope someone else can help.
thank you for the reply. I appreciate you saying that. Hes a little trooper, and surprises and amazes me everyday. His cousin (mr big) will be 9 years old this coming may. I've been taking him to csu. Colorado state university which is very well known for their veterinary care and they haven't been able to do too much too help him unfortunately. They say they rarely ever see them that old and don't have too much knowledge of chams that age.

I haven’t any experience with older chameleons, but I think he does need his pain med. Can you make a bug slurry and mix it in with the med and give them together? While making a bug slurry is pretty gross (I’ve done that with bsfl), it is a way to get his med and some nutrition into him.

Hello all, been a little bit since I've posted about my mr little. As of now he is not doing very well, if you read on previous post about him we have been battling health problems since January. He has an enlarged gal bladder and still continues to do back leg grabbing. He had been fairing pretty well lately with a good appetite and lots of hydration. On Saturday he had a other small prolapse a d received his 2nd round of stitches to help control that. The first round worked wonders and he has been been doing really well since. They vets did have to sedate him to give the stitches on Saturday and he has not been very happy since then. He has drank a couple times but wont eat or move too much. I really don't want to give him his anti-inflammatory meds unless he can get some food in him, he seems very interested in his food though. Ugh, I just feel so bad for my little man, hes been a little soldier since all of this happened. Does anyone else have experience sedating thier older guys? Also any experience with stitches to help reduce prolapse? Any advice and info from people with older chams and similar issues would be great. Just for reference, he will be 8 years old in November......
Wow bravo that’s a very old Cham….. I wish I could help but I have no experience in this

I haven’t any experience with older chameleons, but I think he does need his pain med. Can you make a bug slurry and mix it in with the med and give them together? While making a bug slurry is pretty gross (I’ve done that with bsfl), it is a way to get his med and some nutrition into him.
I can most certainly make some slurry, I've never made it before though, do you literally just blend a feeder up so it's almost liquid?

I did it for a leopard gecko, so just used a couple of bsfl and mushed them up really well and then mixed in a few drops of water and sucked it up with a small syringe.
Awesome thanks I figured as much, mr little did just get some slurry. I just used bout 6 crickets and a couple hornworms blended up and a tiny bit of distilled water swirled it around and mixed it in a syringe with his meds in it. Hopefully that helps him a little bit

What kind of ensure plus would be recommended? There is a few different kinds out there. Have you ever used it before?
I don't know what kind of ensure Susan and Kenny used...sorry about that. I've never used it myself and I'm sure there are more kinds now than when they worked out the formula.

I don't know what kind of ensure Susan and Kenny used...sorry about that. I've never used it myself and I'm sure there are more kinds now than when they worked out the formula.
Thanks for the info, their is alot of different flavors for it and in not sure what one is best. I'll stick with the slurry for now, though I do feel bad blending up those poor little bugs haha just doesnt seem right. But anything to help my little guy out. About how much slurry should I give him at a time? My syringe measures by the milligram, he had 1.5 of the meds and about 10 of the slurry. It doesnt seem like much

I would think a fruity flavour might be best....definitely not chocolate if it comes in that flavour.

Not sure of the amount either. How big is the chameleon?

Yea the only fruit flavor is strawberry, the rest are chocolate and butter pecan and vanilla. Either way I probably wont give him that unless I'm sure of what I'm doing haha

I read the thread with the chameleon with the enlarged gal bladder, the owner says he was using that carnivore critical care. Is that stuff any good? Seems pretty nutritious but I have no experience with it

I think carnivore care is said to be ok for a few days but not for long. It's made more for meat eaters than insectivores.

Right that makes sense, I figured it would be kinda hard on his kidneys combined with the pain meds. I cant find the insectivore kind anywhere though

Back
Top Bottom