need some expert advice on 10.0 vs 5.0 Linear bulbs plz?

trickedoutbiker

Avid Member
In a couple months I will be getting the new large cage for my panther chameleon. He is an Ambilobe, 6 months old right now. so he will be about 8-9 months old when I stick him in his 24 x 24 x 48 cage.

My question is, should I use a 5.0 linear or a 10.0 linear? I've heard opinions on both sides of the spectrum for this, but I'm torn between what to do really.... I have a 24" AquaSun T-5 HO Double Linear Light Fluorescent Hood that I'm going to use, which holds 24 watt T5 HO (High Output) 22" bulbs.

The light hood will be sitting directly on top of the screen on the top of my Dragon Strand large cage instead of mounted slightly above it, because screen filters out a bit of UVB as we all know, so I want it ON the screen because further away will filter out more UVB..... Anyways...

The one slot will have a 24 watt Zoo Med T5 HO Ultra Sun Super Daylight 22" Fluorescent Bulb. As for the other slot, it's either a 24 watt Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 T5 HO 22" Linear UVB or a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO 22" Linear UVB

I'm not sure which one to get here, because I've heard some people say that 5.0 is great, while others will say that it isn't enough. Some will say that once a 5.0 gets filtered by screen that it isn't a good level of UVB, while others will say that it is still alright. I've heard that a 10.0 linear is too much UVB, while I've also heard that those same linear 10.0's don't produce as much UVB as an Arcadia 6% either, and everyone is going crazy over those. I've never seen test results for ANY of them really, so I'm torn between what to do here....

Keep in mind, my light hood uses HO (High Output) linear lights.... The ReptiSun High Output 5.0 and 10.0 linear lights have stronger UVB and brighter light, being twice as strong as the standard ReptiSun 5.0 and 10.0's (that's what they say on the boxes anyways)

I've heard that a 5.0 may not have good UVB levels when it's nearing time to change the bulb around 6 months, as UVB decreases over time - standard knowledge. A 10.0 in the same, would also have decreased levels of UVB at the nearing of the 6 months, probably levels closer to that of a new 5.0 though I am assuming.....?

10.0 bulbs also penetrate further down than a 5.0, as is also standard knowledge. And some people recommend a 10.0 for cages with lots of plants or a 5.0 for a cage with not so many.....

My cage is going to have about 5-6 fake plants just here and there for decoration and to help provide some hiding spots. They will mostly be around the inside perimeter of the walls to kind of block me from seeing in, and to block him from seeing out, so that way he see's less of what's going on outside the cage (as too much traffic and whatnot can cause stress, so I wanna minimize any traffic he might be able to see if I can) I'm also going to be having 6 REAL plants, planted in some hanging pots that a fellow cham owner here is gonna help me get. I will take the leaves/vines of those plants and spread them out as much as possible to provide shrubbery through the middle of the cage, as well as around the outsides. I will have probably a couple pothos. A Schefflera. A Hibiscus (or two, depends if I can find the other plants I want). Some Baby Tears. A Hoya and a Camellia if I can find them, and if not, then probably a Ficus or some Ivy. So I mean the cage wont be like real heavily planted, but it will have a lot of coverage to explore, as well as branches and vines to climb and such.

So, with all of that being said, will everyone please chime in here about the 5.0 vs 10.0 and give me some advice or your opinions? What do you recommend? What do you use? What do you prefer? And why?

I was leaning more towards a 10.0 for my panther since it will still have okay-levels of UVB close to 6 months (I'm assuming), but I was worried that a HO 10.0 might be too high, and I wanted to hear what everyone else thinks on this topic. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this posting in advance.

Last edited:
On an adult cham I use the 10.0 for the very reasons you described. I don't think they make a UVB that is working properly that can put out more UVB than the sun, If you have enough foliage in there that they can seek cover if they need Why not use the stronger bulb. But it's entirely up to you however like you said others have used 5.0 and as far as I know had no ill effects. So I guess it would depend on just how much your chameleon gets real sun I live in the north so mine don't get as much as the south. I would talk to Todd I believe his name is at "Light Your Reptiles" he knows a lot about lighting

So I guess it would depend on just how much your chameleon gets real sun

I live in Indiana, USA. I will be taking him outside this summer to chill in an outside cage and soak up REAL sun because it's way better for them than any light that exists. I will be doing this once a week guaranteed (given that there is sunshine). Maybe twice. And I will leave him out there for 1-2 hours. He will be in a cage that allows him to hide from the sun if he wants to, as well as a dripper in case he wants to drink while he is outside.

Maybe a HO 5.0 in the summer months cuz he can go outside, and a 10.0 in the winter months because I can't take him outside when it's freezing....? Really wanna go with 10.0's at all times because they produce more, but would that 10.0 at all times be too much for a panther cham?

Anyone else wanna chime in? I got till Friday to figure out what I'm do. I just know that its the HO Reptisun 5.0 or the HO Reptisun 10.0.........

i like how you did the cage on top of the aquarium. clever. i like it. mine is gonna have alot of plants more like the right side there. with maybe a bit more.

Thanks! This is an older pic my foliage has grown out more sense. That whole idea helps a great deal with my humidity, but it's quite expensive because I use a C-pap machine to pump fresh air into the bottom. They last a long time however when it did go out it cost me about $200 dollars to replace it, and that's used and cheap. It's the only thing I can find that's strong, and quiet enough,

blows my mind that this has been viewed by 54 people and only one of ya'll has commented so far...... i thought this community was better than that?

The breeder that I got my chameleon from told me to go with a 10.0 UVB linear ReptiSun and replace every 6 months. I also was torn about which one to use, 5.0 vs. 10.0. I ended up going with the 10.0 UVB. My cham is doing just fine and my plants are doing great. My cham's set-up is heavily potted, so if he is getting too much (which I doubt) he can just hide.

www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com has a good resource for lighting info as well

^^^^ thanks @mandmbrainery -- yours is a panther cham as well, yea? I mean, a UVB decreases over time, starting from about 12-15 minutes after you first turn it on. It is a very very very VERY slow process, but it does happen..... and a 10.0 over time, theoretically, would then be the power of a 5.0. and these are HO linears and not just the regular 5 and 10's.... so that's even better. If the UVB gets too low from a 5.0, then there wouldn't be enough, and that is low/dangerous levels. With a 10.0, if he seems to believe that it is too much, then there will always be foliage to hide in a bit, which he does anyways sometimes, and he won't be overexposed. The Madagascan sun gives of WWWAAAAAAYYYYYY more UVB than any bulb ever will, but then again, chameleons in the wild have thicker skin than captive bred chams.

Leaning towards all 10.0, or alternating between 5.0 in summer and 10.0 in winter.... I think it all comes down to preference, because lots of people have had success with both. They are both good, but not as strong as the Arcadia 6% or even 12% lights, and everyone goes bananas over those. So if those are stronger, then I think 10.0 ReptiSun's will be fine

Yes, I have a panther. The breeder that I purchased from said that he has never lost a single hatchling under UVB 10.0 bulbs and he has given me some great advice, as this is our family's first chameleon. I don't know much about Arcadia and so forth. However, I do know, after spending an arm and a leg, that the whole setup is quite expensive. I don't have the money to spend on a UV meter, but if I am changing the bulb out every 6 months, then UVB output should be okay and consistent.

Back
Top Bottom