Need some advice PLEASE!!! Veiled Chameleon

currently none of these worms are in season, only in spring.... He started moving around today so I think moving him to the quiet room did make a difference. I’m at work during the week so I'll make sure to take him out on Saturday so that I can watch him....

How long can they go without food?

Hi All

Me again, I was just wondering, I’ve been spraying a lot and keeping the dripping system going throughout the day due to the fact that he does not want to drink but I was just wondering that if it is a bad thing if it is too wet in his cage? Can he get sick of being too wet the whole day?

maybe try some different plants. It looks like he doesn't have much of a place to hide in. When my guy gets dehydrated or feels like she needs more moisture i have a part under her basking spot where it is almost like a jungle and gives her a big spot to hide in when she is being shy or she goes there to become hydrated.

Hi Anandi

Sage here, when last have you had him outside? Also you need to know that you are lucky if you ever see your chameleon drink, i have only seen my Veiled drink a few times.

I would get him into the sun as soon as you can for at least 4 hours a day for the next week, it stimulates there appetite and everything.

My Veiled him self is on a bit of a hunger strike i have to chop and change the food to another insect every 3 days at the moment.

Get some meal worms +- 120 it has a yellow lid in the pet shop try it and let us know.

Just remember Veiled'z love to bask, getting him outside does wonders, but remember to mist him down if you see he turns very light or has his mouth open. Also make sure he has a little shad if it is really hot.

What enclosure is he currently in? Please attach a picture of his setup as soon as you can With the info and pictures we can help you make him happy in no time.

He was outside last week, since then it has not stopped raining. I will see how the weather is on Saturday and take him out for a good sunbath. At the moment I can not get any worms as it is not in season....

Please see all my cage setup details in the beginning of this post. I appreciate all the help that I can get!!

Hi All

Me again, I was just wondering, I’ve been spraying a lot and keeping the dripping system going throughout the day due to the fact that he does not want to drink but I was just wondering that if it is a bad thing if it is too wet in his cage? Can he get sick of being too wet the whole day?

Veiled'z like to dry and warm with a humidity level of 60 - 80 :) if he is constantly wet he wont like it as he needs to warm him self up all the time, Chameleons need to be warmed up nicely to feed and digest.

The thing is Chameleons need lots of attention and while i am at work i am lucky enough to have someone at home monitoring things for me until i have automated things.

Each of my Chameleons have two cages indoor and outdoor so that they get the best of both worlds.

He was outside last week, since then it has not stopped raining. I will see how the weather is on Saturday and take him out for a good sunbath. At the moment I can not get any worms as it is not in season....

Please see all my cage setup details in the beginning of this post. I appreciate all the help that I can get!!

I am in the Johannesburg/Midrand area and i can safely say you can get Superworms Mealworms and silkies at a reptile petshop. What area are you in i could help find a place for you to stop by.

Sorry that i missed your pictures, your cage looks good and nicely ventilated i am glad it is not glass all over. Have a look at how many lights you have and give me the wattage and make all of them if possible. If the uvb globe came form the old owner hopefully it has not been used for longer than 10 months.

I am sure if you give him a new insect to try he will go for it like a few meal worms.

Make sure you have at least a uvb 5.0 lamp in that cage and try get one as soon as possible. Form what i have read is you only have a basking lamp.

Thank you for telling me that!!!! The guy at the pet store said that the worms is not in season at the moment and he self has a veiled chameleon and that is why I believed him. I’m in Centurion. Do you know of a place I can get them?

I know that the current light in the cage is about 2 months old but what worries me is that the previous owner says it is a day light... and I'm not sure if that means it is a uvb light too? This currentl tight is also what the petstore recomended for the veiled chameleon....

Reptilians in Midrand is the first place i can think of that is kinda close to you so that you can get your chameleon somthing to eat.

Cnr 7th and New road Carlsworld Midrand inside the Indigo Nursery. Tel – 011 468 5071

They will have but they are a bit more expensive with there insects and lights than most places, but your chamo needs food :) Also let me know what lights are up in your cage, you might need to get him a uvb tube or compact if he does not have uvb 5.0 in his cage at the moment

What i will do is look around and see if there is another place near you will update you asap.

I know that the current light in the cage is about 2 months old but what worries me is that the previous owner says it is a day light... and I'm not sure if that means it is a uvb light too? This currentl tight is also what the petstore recomended for the veiled chameleon....

You need two lights - Basking lamp and a repti glo 5.0 for example. Confirm that you have this in his cage please.

Thank you so MUCH!!! It is so nice to speak to someone close by that knows the area and knows where I can find the stuff that I need!!

No worries, glad i could help.

If i may ask why did you buy the 4 year old from the guy and how much did he charge you. I also noticed that the Veiled has lost some spine spikes by the looks of it that cham had a ruff time with the previous owner.

I have actually now Idee what kind of lamp it is, I will have to find out and get back to you..... thanks for all you help!!!

I have actually now Idee what kind of lamp it is, I will have to find out and get back to you..... thanks for all you help!!!

Cool, If you only have one lamp in his cage then that could be why he is going down hill not eating and looking shoddy. By default you will notice two lights in most veiled chameleon cages. A basking lamp and a repti glo 5.0 Tropical uvb tube or compact.

:D

I did not buy the cham, the previous owner travels a lot and just can’t give him the attention and care that he needs. I know that the cham got burned by a light a while back and I guess that is why some of his spikes are gone.... in the pictures attached you can still see the scare.... these pictures was taken a week ago when I had him outside in the sun..... he is really cute and I just wish I can make him happy and give him the care he needs!!!

Attachments

• DSC09557.jpg
    DSC09557.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC09558.JPG
    DSC09558.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC09559.jpg
    DSC09559.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 96
Shame man :( That is some really bad scares. You got a real rambo Cham there.

I hope the owner is not going to ask to take him back after all the energy and money you putting in here. And good on you for taking him in :)

I picked up a 100 gallon flexurium the other day for R300 lucky i know :D, this i use for my 5 month old Veiled's outdoor enclosure.

I like to DIY my cages going to be building two new one's the end of the month, you could even DIY an outdoor cage for your Chamo. Do you have anything yet for outdoors.

Also if you get the meal worms give them a dash of Cal powder with D3 for today and tomorrow then if he eats well carry on with a light coat of normal calcium powder. When things are going well you only need to give D3 once a week if he is not getting a lot of natural sunlight. Also Make sure of the lighting as i mentioned.

Attachments

• DSCN0826.jpg
    DSCN0826.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 96
you say you are giving him regular mistings, do you know what temperature the water is you spray him with, hot, warm or cold?

good news, I just came back from the pet store and the light in his cage is a repti glo 5.0 Tropical uvb compact. Also I could not get silkworms but bought some meal worms and gave them a dash of Cal powder. I just hope he eats them.....

I did ask the guy at the pet store about the basking light but he said that he does not have in stock and also he does not recommend it as it is to warm and also the room that I have him in gets a lot of sun, but in the mean time I can use a 40watt lamp and put it over his cage. If he is to cold he will use it. What do you think?

The previous owner does have an outdoor cage that almost looks like yours. I just need to get it from him when he returns from his vacation....

you say you are giving him regular mistings, do you know what temperature the water is you spray him with, hot, warm or cold?

it is warm, I test it on my hand before I spray him to make sure that it is not to hot nor to cold.....

Back
Top Bottom