Need recommendation for fast growing vine

iMi

Established Member
Can anyone recommend a fast growing fine safe for Vaileds?

I want to get the background of his bioactive enclosure covered as quickly as possible.

For just covering the back, creeping fig and wandering jew are perfect. They spread much faster than pothos and will give more of a filled out look. Pothos are nice and sturdy for holding water or climbing and make a great addition. I like using pothos for trailing up branches.

For just covering the back, creeping fig and wandering jew are perfect. They spread much faster than pothos and will give more of a filled out look. Pothos are nice and sturdy for holding water or climbing and make a great addition. I like using pothos for trailing up branches.
Hi there with the creeping fig and wandering jew are these two ok for a Veiled to eat? I would love to be able to add more variation to my enclosure but I have been sticking to the plant list because my guy eats everything unless its chopped veg in a cup lol.

Reactions: iMi
I wouldn't be afraid to use them, I read somewhere they are safe, but I hesitate to say 100% because even a lot of the plants on the 'safe plant lists' have varying degrees of toxicity including pothos and umbrella trees. Chams seem unbothered by them though.

I wouldn't be afraid to use them, I read somewhere they are safe, but I hesitate to say 100% because even a lot of the plants on the 'safe plant lists' have varying degrees of toxicity including pothos and umbrella trees. Chams seem unbothered by them though.
Thanks for that! I will look into them more. I love the color of the wandering jew. Would be nice to add in more. I got a hibiscus a few days ago but it was chopped off to go dormant for the winter. Hoping to start seeing some growth on it soon. Here is a pic of what it is supposed to look like.

Attachments

• hibiscus.jpg
    hibiscus.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 46
Wandering jew are also maybe the easiest plant out there to grow. Hibiscus are real nice, I have a tropical species with bright red flowers I use to feed the bugs. Hard to keep thriving over winter though. I've heard the temperate hibiscus can have toxic leaves, but I'm not sure how severe or if chameleons are affected by it.

Wandering jew are also maybe the easiest plant out there to grow. Hibiscus are real nice, I have a tropical species with bright red flowers I use to feed the bugs. Hard to keep thriving over winter though. I've heard the temperate hibiscus can have toxic leaves, but I'm not sure how severe or if chameleons are affected by it.
With the hibiscus I just realized it is called a hibiscus moscheutos not a Hibiscus rosa-sinensis like the plant sheet recommends. Do you think this will be an issue?

I doubt it, but honestly I don't know enough about them to say for certain.
I am going to email the company that sells the specific one I got and find out if there is any toxicity issues for humans or dogs eating the foliage or flowers. Try to get an idea is this specific one would create an issue. Thank you for mentioning that.

Even if there was a toxicity with humans or dogs, there's a good chance it doesn't do much to chams. Pothos are supposed to be toxic lol and veileds strip them from what I hear.

Honeysuckle grows very very fast, it's on the fl chams safe list...not sure for veilds though, I use honeysuckle with my panthers with no problems, but they never eat the plants

There are a few types of pothos available the green Jade, Golden, aureus, and others with variegation. Some tend to bush out and others creep as vines I've got both you can't go wrong easy to care for and great for water retention on leaves. Another upside is they are easy to take clippings of to start new plants. It's the people's (and chameleons) champion.

I have a mother hanging in my room and a separate snake plant potted below it the pothos managed to sprout and grow in the snake plant container.

Ok, so today I got some more plants today. I settled on Pothos for the climbing vine. I got a huge plant and split it up to cover the background. Now they just need to grow a little more. Here are some pics:

IMG_1067.jpeg
IMG_1068.jpeg
IMG_1071.jpeg

And mister grumpy himself... shedding and not liking the camera.

IMG_1074.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 77
Looks good! your lucky. My guy would eat all the moss and stuff in the bottom. I have to cover every single plant with river rocks to keep him out of the dirt lol.

Looks good! your lucky. My guy would eat all the moss and stuff in the bottom. I have to cover every single plant with river rocks to keep him out of the dirt lol.

He ate some of the moss. I noticed that the more I gut load his feeders, the less interest he shows in plants and moss or dirt. The first few days he was on the bottom exploring all the new things he's never seen before. Now he largely ignores it.

They are such characters though. The other day I saw ours standing on top of the bowl filled with greens and fruit and eating a live plant next to it. :LOL:

He ate some of the moss. I noticed that the more I gut load his feeders, the less interest he shows in plants and moss or dirt. The first few days he was on the bottom exploring all the new things he's never seen before. Now he largely ignores it.

They are such characters though. The other day I saw ours standing on top of the bowl filled with greens and fruit and eating a live plant next to it. :LOL:
They tend to eat plants/moss/dirt to make up for nutrients they aren’t getting through their diet. Excellent job of recognizing a problem early on and quickly taking action to fix it before it gets out of hand!

Back
Top Bottom