Need recommendation for fast growing vine

For just covering the back, creeping fig and wandering jew are perfect. They spread much faster than pothos and will give more of a filled out look. Pothos are nice and sturdy for holding water or climbing and make a great addition. I like using pothos for trailing up branches.

I am am going to add Philodendron to the list. Its taken a couple months to get established, but is actually attaching itself through the screen, and turning into a great back drop.

Attachments

• 20190108_144438_resized.jpg
    20190108_144438_resized.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: iMi
Philodendron are supposed to be toxic, but I have no idea to what degree or if it effects veileds. Btw I love your quad

He ate some of the moss. I noticed that the more I gut load his feeders, the less interest he shows in plants and moss or dirt. The first few days he was on the bottom exploring all the new things he's never seen before. Now he largely ignores it.

They are such characters though. The other day I saw ours standing on top of the bowl filled with greens and fruit and eating a live plant next to it. :LOL:
LOL yeah the only way he will eat his veg is if I cut it up really small and put his feeders on top. I have tried to clip them inside his enclosure and put in a separate cup. He wants nothing to do with them. But the Pothos on the other hand well it looks like it got attacked.

They tend to eat plants/moss/dirt to make up for nutrients they aren’t getting through their diet. Excellent job of recognizing a problem early on and quickly taking action to fix it before it gets out of hand!
I bet that was what happened with mine because it was the first week I had him and had not learned of gutloading so when I put the live plants in he went nuts over the dirt so I covered them.

Philodendron are supposed to be toxic, but I have no idea to what degree or if it effects veileds. Btw I love your quad

That's what I've read as well, but I think they would need to eat large quantities in order to get sick. It seems they are more of an irritant than toxin.

That's what I've read as well, but I think they would need to eat large quantities in order to get sick. It seems they are more of an irritant than toxin.
Just be really cautious because they do munch quite a bit on their plants. There are several types of pothos you can get that look different from each other if you are wanting variation in look.

Just be really cautious because they do munch quite a bit on their plants. There are several types of pothos you can get that look different from each other if you are wanting variation in look.

Excellent advice. Given so many other options, sometimes it's best to be cautious and avoid potential trouble up front.

It isn't on the FL Chams safe list, but have seen it on other safe lists. Ellis says thanks(y)

The safe lists are a bit misleading. I use tons of plants that are considered toxic and others that are considered safe are technically toxic. Any search will bring up the toxicity of philodendron, but for us without plant eaters it wouldn't be much of a concern at all. And even for plant eaters, there's a good chance it won't do much of anything to our chams because most of the 'toxic' plants are toxic to humans, dogs, and cats, not necessarily reptiles. Idk of anyone on here that's had a veiled die from eating something, but it's probably happened at some point. When you think about it though, I'd bet almost every plant they come across in the wild is toxic in some way and they seem to do just fine.

As someone mentioned irritant vs toxic, most lists include irritating plants as being toxic. A toxin could be anything that gives a mild stomach grumble to something that instantly kills an animal. I like to look up what the exact "toxin" is rather than go by the word alone. Loads of plants are just filled with oxalates. Some things react to them, others don't.

Back
Top Bottom