Need phoenix worm advice

How does everyone store their phoenix worms? We are having issues with keeping them stored moist enough for the worms to thrive and getting mite infestations from the dirt they are in....keep having to throw them out. Any advice or is this just the nature of the beast?

Im keeping them in the dry substrate the came with.

I plan to breed them and then ill keep em in unfertilized pottingsoil feeding them only things with little moisture.

I just store mine in a wine fridge at 56 degrees. When I want some to pupate, I usually just put a hundred or so in a separate cup. They will mature slowly at this temp so I do find pupa and adults in the cup. They have been stored 6 months this way and they are still turning into adults though this lat batch seems to have a bunch of deformed flies so 6 months seems to be about as long as they can go.

Im keeping them in the dry substrate the came with.

I plan to breed them and then ill keep em in unfertilized pottingsoil feeding them only things with little moisture.

We do keep them in the original soil....but in addition to adding a chunk of sweet potato....we keep the soil semi moist. Should we not do this? I was under the impression the worm would die if dried out?

In my experience adding moist makes em A mess.
They will get plenty of moist from sweetpatato.

I feed mine bananas and when the soil gets wet, I'll just add more zoomed earth.

Eventually they turn black, stop eating, and then into flies that my cham loves.

All at room temp

Back
Top Bottom