Need help!!!

Tamara4613

1d0a94cc-a031-4215-81a7-c9159032103e-jpeg.324703
94B273DF-D461-4310-B7FD-874E667F9285.jpg

This is Hercules he is a 1 1/2 year old veild chameleon. When I got him he had severe mbd and couldn’t walk and could barely eat and as you see he is still deformed from it but he is far past all that now and loves to climb and eat and no longer has any trace of mbd. However he had developed 2 lumps on his head I had taken him to the vet for it for them to charge me $400 to say “nothing came out when I squeezed it so I don’t know” but looking online most people said don’t be concerned if it’s not getting bigger but here we are 4 months after the vet visit and they have gotten bigger and both of his eyes have all of the sudden shut one for sure has an infection the other isn’t noticeably crusty or anything. I’ve been giving him daily eye drops and syringe feeding him but nothing seems to be helping and I’m starting to believe the bumps may be the issue as they are right by his eyes and his cage is completely clean and humidity+heat is what they should be at so I don’t believe it’s causing it.This had happened before but I was able to get him back after a week of drops and liquid food but this time doesn’t seem as easy as that. I’m not looking to get rid of him or anything I’m just asking for more help so please if you know something that may work or there’s something I’m doing wrong please let me know.

Hi there can you please get some pictures closer up. I can not expand the smaller pic and I do not see anything on the larger one.

awww poor little man... Looks like he could have a pretty major sinus infection. You need a real reptile vet. This would be antibiotics and maybe even being flushed. But you need someone experienced or they will have no clue and give wrong info and or treatment. This thread give multiple links https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veterinarian-resources.67/
I would try the first one for ARAV to see if you can find a vet that is accredited near you.

This issue with MBD is it can drastically impact the body and even lower their immune system. If you were not getting ongoing care from a vet to correct and build the bones back up then he could still have some secondary issues with it.

I am by no means a vet though. Just speaking from what I have learned.

Get treatment first... Then come back and let us do a husbandry review to make sure all the info you have gotten for his care is correct. :) good luck.

awww poor little man... Looks like he could have a pretty major sinus infection. You need a real reptile vet. This would be antibiotics and maybe even being flushed. But you need someone experienced or they will have no clue and give wrong info and or treatment. This thread give multiple links https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veterinarian-resources.67/
I would try the first one for ARAV to see if you can find a vet that is accredited near you.

This issue with MBD is it can drastically impact the body and even lower their immune system. If you were not getting ongoing care from a vet to correct and build the bones back up then he could still have some secondary issues with it.

I am by no means a vet though. Just speaking from what I have learned.

Get treatment first... Then come back and let us do a husbandry review to make sure all the info you have gotten for his care is correct. :) good luck.
Alright thank you I will try that but do you by chance have any ideas on how to get his eyes to open back up so he can get back to eating?

Alright thank you I will try that but do you by chance have any ideas on how to get his eyes to open back up so he can get back to eating?
hun if he is that sick from an infection... eyes closing indicate his body shutting down. So really right now it is finding a real reptile vet asap.
He probably has very little energy right now to even try to eat. Depending on how long he has been off food this may not be the real worry. If all he is doing is sleeping then dehydration would be more of a worry for me.

hun if he is that sick from an infection... eyes closing indicate his body shutting down. So really right now it is finding a real reptile vet asap.
He probably has very little energy right now to even try to eat. Depending on how long he has been off food this may not be the real worry. If all he is doing is sleeping then dehydration would be more of a worry for me.
Alright and he has been off for almost a week now but has been getting repta boost to keep him going for a little until I can get him an appointment. But I will get him in as soon as possible.

I'm not a vet...just give my opinion.
You need to take him to a good chameleon vet.
Chameleon pus is thick like cottage cheese so often squeezing the bump will result in getting nothing out. It needs to be cleaned out properly, a culture and sensitivity test done and the chameleon put on the appropriate antibiotics. Antibiotics won't likely penetrate the pus which is one reason for cleaning it out.
One of the most common bacteria involved is pseudomonas aerigenosa and it's hard to get rid of without aggressive treatment.

I'm not a vet...just give my opinion.
You need to take him to a good chameleon vet.
Chameleon pus is thick like cottage cheese so often squeezing the bump will result in getting nothing out. It needs to be cleaned out properly, a culture and sensitivity test done and the chameleon put on the appropriate antibiotics. Antibiotics won't likely penetrate the pus which is one reason for cleaning it out.
One of the most common bacteria involved is pseudomonas aerigenosa and it's hard to get rid of without aggressive treatment.
Alright thank you I will be taking him to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment with one

Back
Top Bottom