Need help!

Also! I have a 40gal 36x18x18 Glass tank I got for a bearded dragon along time ago, and I haven't used it since. Now would I be able to use this for a chameleon even up to adult size? If not its okay! I just dont wanna waste money on something when I already have something that works :)

It's better to get a terrarium for your chameleon since they like to climb up. ((:)

I would like to know if [a Jackson's] really is the type of chameleon I should get, being that I am so new?

Also! I do not have a cage, or anything for this chameleon yet nor do I have him and dont worry im gonna get everything he needs first before getting him :) But! This is what i thought about getting until I can get more money to put into it, but I also do not know anything about chameleons so does this kit come with everything I need?
I agree with those who say to avoid the kits; they're marketed to impulse buyers, and chameleons (well, reptiles animals in general) are not good impulse purchases.

Whether a Jackson's is right for you, I'd start with Which Chameleon Should I Get?
Then Jackson's Chameleon, The Best Pet Lizard?
Then some articles on different or specific species on Reptiles Magazine
Then I'd peruse everything in the Resources section of this site.

Regarding accoutrements & expenses:
chameleon checklist (Read several for well-rounded understanding)
costs of keeping a chameleon (Read several for well-rounded understanding)

I would wait until you've saved up ALL the money you'll need before purchasing anything—don't do things piecemeal. Use the time to do all the reading and research.

Have your enclosure set up and running (including plants, lighting, misting, etc.) for a few weeks before getting the chameleon in case any adjustments need to be made. These are delicate animals that, while rewarding, are also sensitive, and can crash if everything isn't right.

I don't say any of this to dissuade—only to prepare you. We all want you to succeed—not fail! ;)

Also! I have a 40gal 36x18x18 Glass tank I got for a bearded dragon along time ago, and I haven't used it since. Now would I be able to use this for a chameleon even up to adult size? If not its okay! I just dont wanna waste money on something when I already have something that works :)
IMO, that's not even big enough for a bearded dragon (I have one). For either lizard, 24" x 24" x 48" or larger is recommended. The main difference is that a beardie enclosure is horizontal, while a chameleon enclosure is vertical. The 2 lizards also come from different habitats with different requirements; a beardie is an arid dweller, while most chameleons are more temperate to rain forest dwellers.

IMO, that's not even big enough for a bearded dragon (I have one). For either lizard, 24" x 24" x 48" or larger is recommended. The main difference is that a beardie enclosure is horizontal, while a chameleon enclosure is vertical. The 2 lizards also come from different habitats with different requirements; a beardie is an arid dweller, while most chameleons are more temperate to rain forest dwellers.

Thanks for the info! Now, would it be possible for me to turn this cage vertical?? I put alot of thought into it last night, and Vertically it would be very big, the top of it is screen, and I just pull those out so that way I can get into the habitat, so I was thinking would this work as a good cage If I was to turn it vertical and get all new gauges, flooring, and brances inside of it along with leaves. Would that work? I can provide pictures of this if needed :)

Thanks for the info! Now, would it be possible for me to turn this cage vertical?? I put alot of thought into it last night, and Vertically it would be very big, the top of it is screen, and I just pull those out so that way I can get into the habitat, so I was thinking would this work as a good cage If I was to turn it vertical and get all new gauges, flooring, and brances inside of it along with leaves. Would that work? I can provide pictures of this if needed :)
At 18 x 18 x 36, it's still too small for an adult Jackson's (or veiled, or panther).

Sorry, but no. Besides being too small, there’s no way to provide uvb thru glass.

Back
Top Bottom