Need help!

Marty Robins

Hello everyone! this is my first post on this forum, im extremely new to chameleons and I generally need help on what to do!

Basically im really looking to get a Jackson chameleon (Male) But pet-smart does not sell them, so I've resorted to online shopping for this awesome looking pets and im not exactly to sure on what sites are trust worthy or not! Also! I would like to know if this really is the type of chameleon I should get, being that I am so new?

Also! I do not have a cage, or anything for this chameleon yet nor do I have him and dont worry im gonna get everything he needs first before getting him :) But! This is what i thought about getting until I can get more money to put into it, but I also do not know anything about chameleons so does this kit come with everything I need?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...xvsUumKPX2H9HVdgNnWeX5ClLWpCrMdhoCQRoQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
i personally wouldn't recommend the kit, because you will end up having to replace some of the things included in the kit, and eventually replace the cage itself for a bigger cage.

Hello everyone! this is my first post on this forum, im extremely new to chameleons and I generally need help on what to do!

Basically im really looking to get a Jackson chameleon (Male) But pet-smart does not sell them, so I've resorted to online shopping for this awesome looking pets and im not exactly to sure on what sites are trust worthy or not! Also! I would like to know if this really is the type of chameleon I should get, being that I am so new?

Also! I do not have a cage, or anything for this chameleon yet nor do I have him and dont worry im gonna get everything he needs first before getting him :) But! This is what i thought about getting until I can get more money to put into it, but I also do not know anything about chameleons so does this kit come with everything I need?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...xvsUumKPX2H9HVdgNnWeX5ClLWpCrMdhoCQRoQAvD_BwE
I recommend not buying the kit. I bought it and had to replace everything and it’s just a waste of money.

So! Thank you all for being such a help! Just I do have one last question for you :) Now you guys said the kit isn't worth it, but! Would it be good to use only for them when they are a baby/juvenile (Veild or Jackson)? And then upgrade it to a bigger cage as well as plants and stuff inside the cage when he gets older?

So If I dont get a kit, is there like a supply list I can find? That tells me all I need to get?
So! Thank you all for being such a help! Just I do have one last question for you :) Now you guys said the kit isn't worth it, but! Would it be good to use only for them when they are a baby/juvenile (Veild or Jackson)? And then upgrade it to a bigger cage as well as plants and stuff inside the cage when he gets older?
The supplies inside are pretty useless even for baby’s and juveniles. I suggest just buying the cage and proper lighting and plants etc.. separately it would be cheaper in the long run.

The supplies inside are pretty useless even for baby’s and juveniles. I suggest just buying the cage and proper lighting and plants etc.. separately it would be cheaper in the long run.
Alrighty will do! Ill just buy one piece at a time I suppose! Is there anything I should look out for? Like any un-trustworthy sites? Or bad brands?

Hi love! So I wouldn't recommend a kit. I actually bought one the first time when I got my cham Basil and ended up replacing the whole entire items not even 3 months later. Even the terrarium itself. The thermo/hygrometers that usually come with them are not great and not accurate and overall, everything else just isn't 100%. I also switched over to a bioactive set up for my chameleon and got the largest size exo terra terrarium that they had. Live plants can be very beneficial for your cham. It can even boost your humidity levels. In my opinion, bioactive can be cheaper in a way if you do everything right the first time since it's long lasting and doesn't have to be changed, but I would do a ton of research on it and watch some youtube videos. However, everything is all up to you! Even if you don't do bioactive, the videos are very addictive to watch. I'm about to do a second bioactive set up for my new crested gecko and I am beyond excited. You can have fake plants or even some paper towels at the bottom and just replace the towels when needed. Just make sure the plants you get are safe for your future chameleon. Also, lights are an important things to look at. Don't go cheap. Do a ton of research. I'm sure you are doing this already since you have posted a thread and such. I am a new cham owner and I've only had one since February, but I do research almost daily on these lovely animals. Not claiming I know it all because I do not and still have a ton to learn, but I know quite a lot IMHO. I do hope you get everything you need for your cham and he lives a happy life! The people on the forums are very kind and can point you in the right direction when needed. However, don't take the first thing you read or see. Do your research more. For example, some people will tell you glass is bad for a chameleon, some will tell you screen is bad. It all depends on who you are talking to. Glass terrariums are great at keeping in heat and humidity for your terrarium. I don't know much about screens due to the fact that I've never used one so I'm not gonna give information on that. ((( :

A great youtuber to watch is Neptune the Chameleon. She has very informative videos of everything you need to know for your cham.

ALSO; I apologize for the long comment ))): <3

Hi love! So I wouldn't recommend a kit. I actually bought one the first time when I got my cham Basil and ended up replacing the whole entire items not even 3 months later. Even the terrarium itself. The thermo/hygrometers that usually come with them are not great and not accurate and overall, everything else just isn't 100%. I also switched over to a bioactive set up for my chameleon and got the largest size exo terra terrarium that they had. Live plants can be very beneficial for your cham. It can even boost your humidity levels. In my opinion, bioactive can be cheaper in a way if you do everything right the first time since it's long lasting and doesn't have to be changed, but I would do a ton of research on it and watch some youtube videos. However, everything is all up to you! Even if you don't do bioactive, the videos are very addictive to watch. I'm about to do a second bioactive set up for my new crested gecko and I am beyond excited. You can have fake plants or even some paper towels at the bottom and just replace the towels when needed. Just make sure the plants you get are safe for your future chameleon. Also, lights are an important things to look at. Don't go cheap. Do a ton of research. I'm sure you are doing this already since you have posted a thread and such. I am a new cham owner and I've only had one since February, but I do research almost daily on these lovely animals. Not claiming I know it all because I do not and still have a ton to learn, but I know quite a lot IMHO. I do hope you get everything you need for your cham and he lives a happy life! The people on the forums are very kind and can point you in the right direction when needed. However, don't take the first thing you read or see. Do your research more. For example, some people will tell you glass is bad for a chameleon, some will tell you screen is bad. It all depends on who you are talking to. Glass terrariums are great at keeping in heat and humidity for your terrarium. I don't know much about screens due to the fact that I've never used one so I'm not gonna give information on that. ((( :

A great youtuber to watch is Neptune the Chameleon. She has very informative videos of everything you need to know for your cham.

ALSO; I apologize for the long comment ))): <3
Thank you for all the information!! Im not to sure on what all im gonna do yet but I know everyone on this forum has helped me immensely!! So thank you all! :D

Also! I have a 40gal 36x18x18 Glass tank I got for a bearded dragon along time ago, and I haven't used it since. Now would I be able to use this for a chameleon even up to adult size? If not its okay! I just dont wanna waste money on something when I already have something that works :)

Back
Top Bottom