need help

avs13

does anybody know how to keep a baby rainbow jackson chameleon alive? i've had two, do great and eat for about two weeks, then within a day or two they die. i cant figure out what i'm doing wrong and its killing me. help please, thanks

Please fill this out. It will really help people to figure out the problem you're having!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Rainbow Jackson, baby ( body length less than an inch), to young to sex. had just over a couple weeks
  • Handling - I didn't handle, didn't want to stress baby
  • Feeding - Hydei fruit flies every morning, over a dozen. offered tiny hornworms but they didn't get eaten
  • Supplements - Repashy calcium plus twice a week and Rep-cal herptivite multivitamins once a week
  • Watering - Drip fountain, fog about every 3 hours for 15 min. set so everything gets dry between
  • Fecal Description - oddly poo looks just like the flies, seems normal
  • History - didn't have them long enough

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 11 x 18 glass with screen top
  • Lighting - dome lights on top of screen with zoo-med 60w daylight blue (heat, daylight, UVA) and zoo-med 5.0 UVB. lights on 7 am, lights off 7 pm
  • Temperature - temp range is about 90 to 70 degrees. lowest temp at night is 68-70 degrees.
  • Humidity - the room they are in is 50% or greater humidity, use fogger and humidifier
  • Plants - using live (umbrella plant) and fake vines on walls
  • Placement - the cage is in the living room next to my veils cage (blocked from seeing each other). no vent on that wall and the top of cage from floor is about
  • 50in
  • Location - Colorado

Current Problem had two babies and both died within 3 weeks

Why not try buying one that's at least 7 or 8 months old next time? There is a very high mortality rate for jacksons in their first four or so months of life. That would give you quite a few years with it and time to learn how to care for them before trying a baby again.

You are over supplementing them. It is a common mistake but can be quickly fatal in the babies. I only use phos. free calcium mixed with ground bee pollen Mon. Wed. and Friday. I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD very lightly once a month to start and then at 4-5 months go every two weeks. It must be very lightly and used in place of one of the calcium doses. I sub out a Monday but that's just me.
Your temps are way too hot they will act like they like it but it will dehydrate them. I barely use any heat for those under 4 months. I don't even use a basking bulb but rely on the heat from the linear bulbs. When you do it needs to be up off the top of the screen a few inches and probably only 40 watts to start.
I hand mist twice a day. Don't soak them. I also have an auto dripper that goes of a few times briefly a day just in case.
Montane babies like Jackson's are not a good beginner pet. Don't know your experience level I'm just saying for the record.

I only use phos. free calcium mixed with ground bee pollen Mon. Wed. and Friday. I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD very lightly once a month to start and then at 4-5 months go every two weeks. It must be very lightly and used in place of one of the calcium doses. I sub out a Monday but that's just me. You won't need a D3 Calcium at all.

You are over supplementing them. It is a common mistake but can be quickly fatal in the babies. I only use phos. free calcium mixed with ground bee pollen Mon. Wed. and Friday. I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD very lightly once a month to start and then at 4-5 months go every two weeks. It must be very lightly and used in place of one of the calcium doses. I sub out a Monday but that's just me.
Your temps are way too hot they will act like they like it but it will dehydrate them. I barely use any heat for those under 4 months. I don't even use a basking bulb but rely on the heat from the linear bulbs. When you do it needs to be up off the top of the screen a few inches and probably only 40 watts to start.
I hand mist twice a day. Don't soak them. I also have an auto dripper that goes of a few times briefly a day just in case.
Montane babies like Jackson's are not a good beginner pet. Don't know your experience level I'm just saying for the record.
thanks for taking the time to respond, one more ?, is your linear bulb uvb?

I use a T5 UVB and a 6500K plant light in a dual bulb fixture suspended 5-6 inches above the cage top and it supplies enough heat for the babies in fact I need a small fan to keep the heat down.
They can have moderate humidity during the day but I go high at night over 80%. Their cages sit below my adults and I run a humidifier into the adult cages that humidifies the babies as well.

I use a T5 UVB and a 6500K plant light in a dual bulb fixture suspended 5-6 inches above the cage top and it supplies enough heat for the babies in fact I need a small fan to keep the heat down.
They can have moderate humidity during the day but I go high at night over 80%. Their cages sit below my adults and I run a humidifier into the adult cages that humidifies the babies as well.
once again, Thanks for all the helpful information and sharing your knowledge

I see you're in Colorado and so am I. Just curious, where did you get your baby jacksons from?

I see you're in Colorado and so am I. Just curious, where did you get your baby jacksons from?
I'll start with don't judge, :) ordered online. Haven't had any luck finding any arnd here except petco and they rarely have jacksons.

I'll start with don't judge, :) ordered online. Haven't had any luck finding any arnd here except petco and they rarely have jacksons.
There's nothing wrong with ordering online you just have to find the right breeder. Since its hard to judge care when you don't see the facility. Ask loads of questions even if you think you'll offend them. A good breeder will be willing to answer questions.

Back
Top Bottom