Need help

Vmoreno

Hello I have a zoo med laboratories SZMNT2 naturalistics terrarium. Would this be a good fit for a chameleon until I can get him a screen cage.

Hello I have a zoo med laboratories SZMNT2 naturalistics terrarium. Would this be a good fit for a chameleon until I can get him a screen cage.

Welcome to the forums!

I believe that model has the upper ventilation as a screen and the front ventilation, correct? The door in the front?

Your responses on this question will differ. Many people will say that glass enclosures are a no-go, whereas some say it is possible. It depends on who you ask.

Here is MY opinion:
A chameleon needs the right size, first off. If you can get the proper size in glass and don't mind cleaning more than often to ensure there is no bacteria or "stale air" -- then I would say sure.

If you can obtain the right basking and ambient temperatures in glass, I say go for it.

I'd say no for any chameleon that is no longer a "baby" -- due to reflection issues, extra stress.

Often the those above are difficult to maintain...so in the past I have switched from glass to a screen enclosure (I started my chameleon out in glass, 18x18x24 same build as yours), and my chameleon is so happy with the change! And they're bigger, usually a lot cheaper.

So, IMO, screen>glass in every aspect except humidity. I have had humidity troubles, though it is winter here. Will be better in the summer. :)

Cheers!

Yes it has the upper ventilation and front ventilation. How often should it be cleaned. Until I get the a screen cage. And for the type of terrarium I have ,can I use a fogger for it and a timed mister.

I'm new to this so I appreciate your help,my daughter likes chameleons and I'm going to get her one. Just trying to get the best information before I buy her the chameleon.

Thanks for all your help.

Which type of chameleon were you interested in getting for her? Or did you want some recommendations?

Here are some care sheets you can read up on; it seems as though the common first-timers are Veiled and Jackson's. I started with a Jackson's.

Veiled: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Jackson's: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

And the beautifully colorful guys:
Panthers: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

I'd also be sure too that she understands that they are more for looking rather than touching. There are many chameleons out there that don't mind a little handling here and there, but in general it is a stressor.

For mine, I changed the paper towel on the bottom every day or every other day (it got drenched fairly quickly and did not dry out very quick...this is where bacteria build-up will start). I would clean the sides as I went every time I changed the paper towel. As a precaution I would take the cage apart every now and again to clean the fake plants and vines.

I do have a fogger, but I also worry about the bacteria there...I ended up ditching the fogger in the glass terrarium and just upped my mistings. For a veiled I wouldn't use a fogger for they have lesser humidity needs, though for a jackson's it may not be such a bad idea if you plan on cleaning often. Depending on how often you are home. I really LOVE the misting machines -- they are great in addition to misting by hand every day.

The thing I worry about with foggers is that some people may accidentally begin lacking in their misting for they think their fogger is handling it -- actually, it was rare I saw water droplets forming on the leaves due to the fogger!

I want to start with a Jackson chameleon. She does understand that it's only for looking. Is it okay to use the coco husk. For the terrarium instead of paper towels. When you took the terrarium apart for cleaning were did you put your chameleon. You said you had fake plants and vines ,do you recommend that better than live plants.

Thanks

IMHO save the money you're spending on getting a terrarium and just buy materials you need to build your own enclosure and build your own. You would save I suppose and wouldn't have to upgrade once your jackson grows.

Live plants are always more recommended because they hold more humidity but fake plants can be used too, I use a live plant and some fake plants just for the sake of the "tropical forest look" or to mimic as much as possible their normal habitat, other than that fake plants are cr** and don't hold any water on their leaves or even humidity.

Fake grass can be used as substrate/bedding too but cleaning it often is required plus it might develop odors from misting too much.

Is it okay to use the coco husk. For the terrarium instead of paper towels. When you took the terrarium apart for cleaning were did you put your chameleon. You said you had fake plants and vines ,do you recommend that better than live plants.

Is it okay to use the coco husk. For the terrarium instead of paper towels. When you took the terrarium apart for cleaning were did you put your chameleon. You said you had fake plants and vines ,do you recommend that better than live plants.

I would not use the coco husk, from what i have read people say it can cause impaction if ingested while hunting for food and its a good hiding place for feeders. Fake plants are ok, but jacksons require a high humidity i believe so i would stick with real plants as much as possible. Somepeople put their cham on a plant outside of the cage or a fake tree or maybe even a hangin pothos plant.

How often should I feed a Jackson chameleon, is my first chameleon that I've owned. I'm new to this I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure he is well taken care of.

Thanks

How often should I feed a Jackson chameleon, is my first chameleon that I've owned. I'm new to this I'm sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure he is well taken care of.

Thanks

under 3 months-(Neonates) as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 8-10 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 6-8 medium-large crickets every other day

Plus this is the care sheet somebody else already linked here. Read it it has everything you need to know. Once you read it over and over then start asking more questions

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Yes it has the upper ventilation and front ventilation. How often should it be cleaned. Until I get the a screen cage. And for the type of terrarium I have ,can I use a fogger for it and a timed mister.

I'm new to this so I appreciate your help,my daughter likes chameleons and I'm going to get her one. Just trying to get the best information before I buy her the chameleon.

Thanks for all your help.

IMO you are AWESOME for asking these questions BEFORE you bring the new one home...quite a few people buy first, ask questions when something goes wrong. One thing I have learned through my years here, there is never a better time to ask!

Back
Top Bottom