Need help with two Coleman lanterns

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm posting this because I own two Coleman 200a single mantle lanterns and I am having difficulty finding info on the older if the two. I recently rebuilt both and they both function fine. The one is a 1970 Coleman 200a and looks like it should. However, the older one is a 1961 Coleman 200a that does not appear to line up with what I have found online. However, I still have original box and can confirm that it looks like it should. Where it gets confusing is that the 1961 lantern has the fuel filler and pump on the sides opposite of what I have been able to find and also has an engraved symbol rather than a decal on its fount. It also seems to have a fount made of a softer material than the 1970 one. The 1970 has the pump to the right of the control knob and the filler cap to the left and has a painted Coleman decal. The 1961 has the pump to the left of the control knob and the filler cap on the right and has an engraved Coleman logo. These orientations are also the same if you use the Coleman logo as the refereceI point which I find interesting. I will post pictures of both the lanterns later and when they are running tomorrow as I need to get a new generator for the one. I find it odd that the old one is remarkably different from anything I can find online from the same year and would like to find out why. Also, grand total spent on both lanterns to obtain and get in running order was $68 dollars. Both lanterns are all original except for the generators.

Last edited:
Actually may have just figured it out. I believe the 1970 lantern is one from the USA while the 1961 is from Canada. Hence the design differences. However, I'd still like to confirm this.

Back
Top Bottom