Need help with how much to feed my chameleon

kobe24

He or she is a veiled chameleon about 4 to 6 months old and he ate around 6 or 7 crickets already throughout the day and he would prolly eat more but i heard overfeeding can cause sickness. My question basically is how often and how many crickets should i feed it, thanks. One more thing, i would like to get some wax worms also, how often do you guys feed your chameleons wax worms and how much because i read that a person does this schedule:
Day 1 - fresh strawberry, fresh green lettuce tied to inside of cage
Day 2 - 8 crickets and 5 meal worms fed in a plastic cup so i can make sure what they are eating
Day 1- peach slice and bok choy
Day 2 10 meal worms and 5 crickets
Day 1 - fruit and veggie
Day 2 - 5 Super worms and 5 Crickets
I wasn't sure about the fruit, I heard fruit might not be good for them so i need some help, thanks. I also use calcium spray on the crickets every other day, am i doing that right.

as long as you dont only feed fruit, and you change up what you feed its fine.

We need to knwo the gender to determine how much to feed.

If you post photos of the back of the back feet, we can determine gender for you.

also, since its almost 7 months old, post side photos of it, and we might be able to tell from coloring.

get the pics, and we can go from there.

I wouldnt feed so many meal worms regardless of gender. They shouldn't make up more than 15% of the diet max. There pretty fatty and there exo skeleton is awfully hard for ur cham to digest. Silk worms are phonminal and hornworms are also an excellent choice.

The schedule seems a little unbalanced... fruit really is a treat and should be offered sparingly because of the sugar. Veggies could be offered a little with each feeding. It seems like you have the 6-7 crickets down. As reptilover said, mealworms are not really an ideal feeder that should be offered regularly. Really no worm should, as they can get addicted. Waxies should not be offered regularly (3-6 a week) or not at all.

Look on the back of his back heels. If there are "spurs," he is a male. No spurs, female. The spurs look like tiny spheres.

One thing you could do with the waxworms is only feed them as a reward. Like if he comes out on your hand give him a waxworm or two. Just a suggestion ;)

Thanks for the reply, I will post pics of him/her when i get my cable to connect it to my computer, so ill have some pics up in a couple hours.

as long as you dont only feed fruit, and you change up what you feed its fine.

We need to knwo the gender to determine how much to feed.

If you post photos of the back of the back feet, we can determine gender for you.

also, since its almost 7 months old, post side photos of it, and we might be able to tell from coloring.

get the pics, and we can go from there.

Thanks for all the help, here are some pics.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 394
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 299
Looks like you have a boy.

In which case, you can let him eat as many crickets and roaches that he wants.
:D

Thanks a lot, i was hoping i would have a boy cuz i know they live longer. Thank you again for helping me out so much its greatly appreciated. I have another question for you, is a 20 watt uvb bulb and a heat lamp good enough lighting for him or should i get a stronger uvb bulb. Thanks

is that uvb bulb a 5.0?
if so its fine.

BTW, in case you didnt know, you have to replace the UVB bulb every 6-9 months, even if it hasnt burned out.

I dont think its a 5.0 bulb but i just went out today and got one because it seems like he likes to chill under the bulb i have now a lot so i dont think hes getting enough uvb light. Thanks man

Back
Top Bottom