Need help with enclosure setup ideas

lgstang

Our Chameleon (known to us as Louie ;) ) is getting a bit big for his cage and we want to upgrade to a much bigger one. Only thing is, right now he's in our bedroom and we want to move him into our front room. I cannot for the life of me find a stand/table/cabinet that is big enough for the big screen enclosure we want to get. Also, standing water in the bottom of the cage... drives me insane. Right now I've got a baking sheet with a lip in it, and I use a turkey baster to get the water out that overflows from the plants saucer. :rolleyes: Another issue I'm having is with the plant itself, I'm not sure what's wrong with the soil but it's almost like the water (we have a dripper on SLOW and I manually mist him several times a day, I'm a stay at home mommy) goes straight through the soil and drains through to the saucer.

I think we've already decided we're going to have to build our own stand, but I've got no idea as to how to construct a drainage system. We'll be getting a mister and a fountain so that we don't have to have the dripper AND manually mist it all day/everyday.

I'm not sure what to do about this plant, either. :mad: Should I just repot it in some fresh/new soil? I've got large river rocks sitting on top of the soil to prevent him from catching any of the soil when he eats. :)

Does anybody have any tips or advice?!

I have seen some really cool set ups on here, where people use one of those plastic sinks as the base (you know one of the ones you may find in a garage or work area, really just plastic square with a drain in centre and four legs) and then there are some screen cages that can literally sit directly on top of these sinks very nicely. This way, you can set a big potted tree plant of some nature, in the sink and have it stand straight up filling the screen cage. Misting water drips right down into the drain, perhaps into a bucket underneath...

I am sure at this point someone on here knows what I am talking about and will post a picture of this type of enclosure seeing as though I do not have a pic.

come on guys...

I have seen some really cool set ups on here, where people use one of those plastic sinks as the base (you know one of the ones you may find in a garage or work area, really just plastic square with a drain in centre and four legs) and then there are some screen cages that can literally sit directly on top of these sinks very nicely. This way, you can set a big potted tree plant of some nature, in the sink and have it stand straight up filling the screen cage. Misting water drips right down into the drain, perhaps into a bucket underneath...

I am sure at this point someone on here knows what I am talking about and will post a picture of this type of enclosure seeing as though I do not have a pic.

come on guys...
I think I know what you mean... and that's a good idea. Perhaps we would be able to just build a cabinet (or other structure) to go around the sink/stand to hide it, since we are looking for something to go in the front room of our house.

Hello, I just wanted to suggest that the waterfall is definitely not a good idea. In short, it just provides a most excellent spot for bacteria and such to breed.

I'd like to share with you my parents cage for their Luie. My father constructed it on a wooden cart that rolls, with a cut concrete mixing bin as the basin. It could easily be constructed with enclosed cabinets for a water catcher and storage:
user2911_pic260_1210598914.jpg

Also I'd like to mention to you that I absolutely LOVE my Wet/Dry 5g Shopvac! It makes cleaning out cages and drainage bins sooo easy. The $30 investment is sooo wort it :D

Hello, I just wanted to suggest that the waterfall is definitely not a good idea. In short, it just provides a most excellent spot for bacteria and such to breed.

I'd like to share with you my parents cage for their Luie. My father constructed it on a wooden cart that rolls, with a cut concrete mixing bin as the basin. It could easily be constructed with enclosed cabinets for a water catcher and storage:

Also I'd like to mention to you that I absolutely LOVE my Wet/Dry 5g Shopvac! It makes cleaning out cages and drainage bins sooo easy. The $30 investment is sooo wort it :D
I knew I should have kept my mini-shop vac when we moved! ;) ...and I thought I wouldn't use it.

That's a nice looking setup, do you know what size that cage is? I never thought of the waterfall like that. We had one when we first got him and had no problems with it, I cleaned it thoroughly on a weekly basis. But he was much smaller, and he has much bigger poops now!

Check your local craigslist for used shower pans. They usually clean up well with a pressure washer and are the easy way to get a large drainage area that's absolutely waterproof.

Don't get a fountain. They're a bad, bad idea for chameleons. One smell of poop dropped in water and you'll know. :)

If you need misting, well, I know a guy... :)

wow. i'm impressed. it comes completely with a guard dog and a frog too :D

Back
Top Bottom