Need help; Taking over care of a 3yr old Veiled

Against some of your guy's (and gal's) advice, I will be starting with a baby. I will be ordering a MistKing, and setting up a 18x18x24 cage this week. I know I wont be putting him in it for a week or two, maybe more. So, I will also be setting up a baby tub with raised lights (UVB and a normal florescent).

The problem with putting a baby into a big viv is him finding his food. Look into cup feeding. That way his food will be contained in one place. Look forward to seeing pics of your new baby.:)
Mine went into an even larger one and he was ok..

I will probably be handing feeding as much as possible, seeing as I would like to bond with my Cham :D I am just worried if he would use all the space I gave him.

If you put plenty vines for him to walk on be will. He will probably climb the mesh . Watch for that as he gets bigger as he could get his nails caught. If he is a tiny, I would let fruit flys loose in the viv. It is great fun to watch.

If you put plenty vines for him to walk on be will. He will probably climb the mesh . Watch for that as he gets bigger as he could get his nails caught. If he is a tiny, I would let fruit flys loose in the viv. It is great fun to watch.
Ya, girlfriends jackson loves to eat flying stuff. So, when I mist I can get the humidity up to like 80-85% pretty easily but after about 20-30mins it just drops back down to 65-70% and this is without any heat lamps yet. Advice?

That's fine. Humidity doesn't have to be constant. It needs to peak 3-4 times a day to around 70% . Your readings are ok. The viv needs to dry out completely between listings.:)

That's fine. Humidity doesn't have to be constant. It needs to peak 3-4 times a day to around 70% . Your readings are ok. The viv needs to dry out completely between listings.:)
It is currently sitting at 72 degrees and about 54-55% humidity, misted roughly 2 hours ago. This is with no lights and no misting system, just a spray bottle. Would these conditions be fit for a baby? What needs to change? (I know I need lights...)

Your humidity will change when you get lights. Your baby will need a max temp of 84f during the day and a drop of around 10 degrees at night.

I am just about to go grab a mini deep dome combo by Zoo med actually. I know the baby shouldn't need a basking bulb until he is 2-3 months so I was going to just get a normal florescent, but since the mini dome can't use a Reptisun 5.0, what should I substitute in for UVB?

EDIT: Also, will lighting within my room effect the Cham? I was wondering this b/c his lights will be going out at 7-10pm depending on time of year, but I am often up till 12-1 a.m. Will this effect his ability to sleep?

I am just about to go grab a mini deep dome combo by Zoo med actually. I know the baby shouldn't need a basking bulb until he is 2-3 months so I was going to just get a normal florescent, but since the mini dome can't use a Reptisun 5.0, what should I substitute in for UVB?

EDIT: Also, will lighting within my room effect the Cham? I was wondering this b/c his lights will be going out at 7-10pm depending on time of year, but I am often up till 12-1 a.m. Will this effect his ability to sleep?

Save yourself some money and go to a Home Depot (or similar store). You can buy a single dome for your future basking light. At the same time you can pick up a shop light fixture that will hold a linear UVB bulb. They are measured by the diameter of the bulb, so just make sure you get one that will fit your UVB bulb.

As for the lighting in your room, you may want to have a screen, or just drape a blanket over the cage after your cham goes to sleep. Some will sleep right through lights being on in the room - mine will pick a spot towards the back of the cage where it's darkest.

Okay, so like a light black sheet to just drape over the top after the lamps go out? is 40-50% Humidity okay if I spray 3 times a day or so? Is there any time that is too late to spray (as I know feeding at night isn't good since they can't digest it)? What humidity is to high and to low? Will small crix jump out of a 3-4 inch cup if I wanted to leave a few when I am in class/@work

Spray after you have fed in the morning. Last spray about an hour before lights out. As many sprays in between so your humidity peaks at least 70% then it can drop. Aim not to have crickets loose in viv as when he is older and eats large crickets they may bite him. Free range other feeders if you want but cup feed crickets.

The small crickets shouldn't be able to jump out of a 3-4" cup, unless you get the banded crickets. I just got a batch of those and man can they jump!!! If you do a search for Sunny D death trap you can find an easy to make feeder cup that should contain your crickets.

Awesome, I am feeling pretty comfortable right now, but my biggest worry is Humidity. I would still like to know a minimum and maximum humidity if possible.

EDIT: I attached a picture of my cage setup. I am still trying to figure out a way to hang my lamps since I am breaking 82F with it sitting on the top of the screen. With it hanging like in the second picture, the highest point on the ladder is 79-81F and the bottom of the tank is 70-75F.

Attachments

• IMG_20130901_095432.jpg
    IMG_20130901_095432.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20130901_102236.jpg
    IMG_20130901_102236.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom