Need help identifying my chameleon...

jenruss

Can anyone tell me what kind of chameleon I have and if possible, its sex?
I purchased it a little over 2 months ago from a small town feed store. There was no identification as to what it was and I failed to ask. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20140603_085424.jpg
    20140603_085424.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20140616_125756.jpg
    20140616_125756.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 125
  • 20140623_220050.jpg
    20140623_220050.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 128
You have a female Senegal Chameleon (Chamaeleo senegalensis). Most Senegals are wild caught (meaning taken from the wild) and can sometimes be difficult to settle into captivity. That said your female looks to be in relatively good shape; she still has some scratches and abrasions but those will go away each shed. You’ve done a good job of keeping her so far. Considering she is wild caught it might be prudent to have a vet look at her to determine her overall health but it’s not something that is dire.

I’ve found the Senegals to be a fairly calm and somewhat shy species. I can see you’ve got her outside which is great (nothing better than real sun for a chameleon!) but make sure she gets plenty of water on a daily basis as this species likes to drink. They aren’t too fussy about food either, not like some species and most bugs are accepted.

Check out our Chameleon Care Resources link for helpful tips and don’t be shy about asking questions. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Well actually she is not outside... I keep her in front of the window with the blinds open for some natural sunlight. It's too hot in Texas to keep her outside at this time of year. But as I type this, the chameleon is currently on the back porch since it was a cool 78 degrees this morning and only 90 right now. I will be bringing her inside soon. I just built her a large cage that's 2' wide and 4 1/2'
tall. I have a hibiscus tree in there as well as other live plants.

She only eats crickets... and possibly a praying mantis that was living on the hibiscus tree. But she isn't very colorful.

Thank you for identifying her for me! I will definitely be reading up on this species.

Thank you for your response! She has shed once in the two months that I've had her. Is it possible to ascertain how old she is?

Back
Top Bottom