Need help finding right foods

Hi! I have a veiled male chameleon about one year old. I have been researching the past couple of days and realised that I have been overfeeding my chameleon and that I need to give him more types of bugs/insects. I need someone’s help to help me find the correct diet for my chameleon. This is what I want his diet to be (it will be listed below) but I just need someone help telling me if that is a healthy diet.

Crickets: 3 every other day
Hornworms: 2 every week
Dubai’s roaches: feed 1 every other day

Attachments

• 3603AB6A-9824-4C85-B357-288C7E707B1B.jpeg
    3603AB6A-9824-4C85-B357-288C7E707B1B.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 122
Hi! I have a veiled male chameleon about one year old. I have been researching the past couple of days and realised that I have been overfeeding my chameleon and that I need to give him more types of bugs/insects. I need someone’s help to help me find the correct diet for my chameleon. This is what I want his diet to be (it will be listed below) but I just need someone help telling me if that is a healthy diet.

Hun can you take a pic looking straight at his face so I can see the casque sides? Looks ok but I want to double check. If so then your feeding plan will work.

Also are you aware that this little man has MBD?

Is it just me or does his arm look a little bent can you post more pictures

Since he is showing that he has MBD. Please fill out this form in detail... Also add a picture of your enclosure including the light fixtures on top. This will allow us to help you further.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

This is the link AGAIN. 5 food items every other day it can be 3 crickets and 2 dubias that are the correct size for his age, hornworms twice a week maybe one-two on Monday and Friday. But I think your cham has MBD so please fill out the form that @Beman put above if you want to help your chameleon. Post pictures and please do everything we are asking you to do it’s really not that hard and all we want is to help!

https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-feeding-chameleons/

Hun can you take a pic looking straight at his face so I can see the casque sides? Looks ok but I want to double check. If so then your feeding plan will work.

Also are you aware that this little man has MBD?
yes, rango(my chameleon) got really sick mid covid and we couldn't take him into the vet. i didnt think that he still had MBD is it really severe? im only 14 but very willing to learn when it comes to animals.

yes, rango(my chameleon) got really sick mid covid and we couldn't take him into the vet. i didnt think that he still had MBD is it really severe? im only 14 but very willing to learn when it comes to animals.
You can’t reverse MBD but you can help your cham live a good life. I’d fill out the form and post pictures like I said. From the bit I can see of your cage doesn’t look too good :(

You can’t reverse MBD but you can help your cham live a good life. I’d fill out the form and post pictures like I said. From the bit I can see of your cage doesn’t look too good :(
shoot. i really didn't know. im not at my house right this second but i will be tomorrow and i did redo his enclosure. i have a picture from when he was a little younger. could that be any help? also he cant die from MBD right?

shoot. i really didn't know. im not at my house right this second but i will be tomorrow and i did redo his enclosure. i have a picture from when he was a little younger. could that be any help? also he cant die from MBD right?
Unfortunately he can which is why it’s super important!

It depends how severe it is. If he hasn’t even gone to a vet when he was sicker, you absolutely need to go to an experienced chameleon vet ASAP!

This is the link AGAIN. 5 food items every other day it can be 3 crickets and 2 dubias that are the correct size for his age, hornworms twice a week maybe one-two on Monday and Friday. But I think your cham has MBD so please fill out the form that @Beman put above if you want to help your chameleon. Post pictures and please do everything we are asking you to do it’s really not that hard and all we want is to help!

https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-feeding-chameleons/
The appropriate feeding amount for a veiled is on veiled care info (their species profile), for future reference. Your link goes over the basics for all chameleons

male veiled chameleon he is about 1 year old he has been in my care for about 8 months
he comes and kinda scratches in the corner of his cage so i let him out and he crawls right onto me and i would say i do that about 4 or 5 times a week i know that a lot but he asks to come out
i feed my chameleon 7 crickets every other day i feed him horn worms 2 times a week and as a treat i feed him 2 wax worms a month
i feed my chameleon D3 repti calcium once a month and rep-cal herptivite multivitamins every time i feed
i use a big dripper and i always make sure it is running, i use purified spring water, and i spray his cage 3 to 4 times a day i dont see him drink i used to but not anymore but his pee and poop is normal. poop is soft pee is white and one little speck of yellow
no he has never been to the vet yet.
rango got really sick and almost died a couple of months ago he wasnt eating or drinking but he eventually started back up again with the right lighting and some pedialyte
my cage is a screen cage and i believe it is 30"L x 18"w x 30'H
i have the zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb mini compact fluorescent and i use a repti basking spot lamp
i use a reptile thermometer i got it from petco and his cgae temp is always between 75-90 degrees overnight temp is about 60 degrees
i use a humidity Gage from petco, it stays about 40-60% humidity.
i took out one of my live plants because he was eating the dirt.
the cage is located in my bedroom around 5 feet from a window and i run the fan in my room on low to get good air circulation. and like i said im not at home right now so im guessing the top is about 8 or so feet from my floor.
i live in Minnesota
im concerned about my food scheduled im giving him and MBD

IMG-1514.PNG
IMG-1515.PNG
IMG-1512.PNG
IMG-1511.PNG
these are the only pics i could find i will get more tomorrow. so what am i supposed to do in this situation i dont think im fit to be a chameleon mom.

male veiled chameleon he is about 1 year old he has been in my care for about 8 months
he comes and kinda scratches in the corner of his cage so i let him out and he crawls right onto me and i would say i do that about 4 or 5 times a week i know that a lot but he asks to come out If he does this look at his nails to see if he has all of them still intact. I doubt he does this almost everyday since chameleons don’t normally do this because they want to come out there may be another reason.
i feed my chameleon 7 crickets every other day i feed him horn worms 2 times a week and as a treat i feed him 2 wax worms a month 5 food items every other day. 5 food items every other day or he can become obese unless he is already which I’m not sure and as for hornworms twice a week and only 1-2
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
i feed my chameleon D3 repti calcium once a month and rep-cal herptivite multivitamins every time i feed This is where things go wrong you should feed calcium with no d3 and phosphorus free every time you feed. D3 is where I’m not sure some say once every month, some say every other week or every week I’ve heard and alternate between the multivitamin I’ll have someone else answer this
i use a big dripper and i always make sure it is running, i use purified spring water, and i spray his cage 3 to 4 times a day i dont see him drink i used to but not anymore but his pee and poop is normal. poop is soft pee is white and one little speck of yellow I use the big dripper as well as long as there is no chlorine and its safe to drink. You don’t need to spray that much unless you live somewhere with low humidity. Usually it’s once in the morning for 2-4 minutes and once before lights go off for 2-4 minutes and if you do, do it in between make sure it’s fully dry before misting again. Poop and urates seem good.
no he has never been to the vet yet.
rango got really sick and almost died a couple of months ago he wasnt eating or drinking but he eventually started back up again with the right lighting and some pedialyte Take him to the vet ASAP! As for the pedialyte it should be prescribed by a vet no? I know what it is and know it can be used but I need more details on how much and how you used it etc...
my cage is a screen cage and i believe it is 30"L x 18"w x 30'H You need a 2x2x4 considering your chams age but just in general
i have the zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb mini compact fluorescent and i use a repti basking spot lamp You need a T5HO linear uvb 5.0 or an Arcadia, compacts aren’t good. What are the watts for the basking bulb?
i use a reptile thermometer i got it from petco and his cgae temp is always between 75-90 degrees overnight temp is about 60 degrees
i use a humidity Gage from petco, it stays about 40-60% humidity. Should be no higher than 80 that’s too hot the red light is not good throw it out
i took out one of my live plants because he was eating the dirt. That’s why everyone suggests putting rocks to prevent this your cham could get impacted
the cage is located in my bedroom around 5 feet from a window and i run the fan in my room on low to get good air circulation. and like i said im not at home right now so im guessing the top is about 8 or so feet from my floor. Someone else can comment on this but from what I know windows can sometimes stress a chameleon etc... your chameleon should have enough air circulation with the mesh screen the distance is high I think you meant inches?
i live in Minnesota
im concerned about my food scheduled im giving him and MBD food schedule
I’ve put a link above to veiled chameleon care and MBD is not reversible. I’d say take him to the vet although the vet won’t be able to do much with the MBD situation it will help though so I’d go.
If I did anything wrong let me know

View attachment 290468View attachment 290470View attachment 290471View attachment 290472these are the only pics i could find i will get more tomorrow. so what am i supposed to do in this situation i dont think im fit to be a chameleon mom.

Well the fact you came here tells me otherwise! Everyone makes mistakes and everyone learns. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did the best to your knowledge.

You are first going to want to change his lighting. He will need a t5 ho linear bulb and fixture. I use an arcadia t5 ho linear fixture with a 6% bulb.

Your supplementation is a bit off too. He needs a phosphorous free calcium without d3 every day. He will need calcium w d3 twice and month and the multivitamin without d3 twice a month on alternate days of your cal w d3. So for instance 6 days calcium without d3 and on the 7th day would be the calcium w d3. 6 more days of calcium without d3 and the 7th day multivitamin.

Because he has MBD I would take him to the vet. The vet will be able to give you some advice on helping with it that way he can still have an enjoyable life.

I provided you some links for lighting and supplements from neptune the chameleon. Shes awesome. I also attached husbandry basics you can take a look at the modules and read thru to learn about proper husbandry.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

View attachment 290468View attachment 290470View attachment 290471View attachment 290472these are the only pics i could find i will get more tomorrow. so what am i supposed to do in this situation i dont think im fit to be a chameleon mom.
Red light is bad throw it out. You need real plants these plants all look fake and he could consume them which will lead to impaction. The fact that you came on here makes me think otherwise. @GrayMadder is right look at those, awesome links! Fix the husbandry and go to the vet. I’d recommend you get a bigger cage or make one 2x2x4, find some real sticks and disinfect them, add real plants take out those fake ones, get knew supplements also you need to gut load get, and new lights as mentioned here a link to some plants you can use! And gut loading https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Attachments

• D580D480-7463-4A9C-A159-1FBE024CB263.jpeg
    D580D480-7463-4A9C-A159-1FBE024CB263.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom