Need help! experianced cham owners come !

sels

I took my jackson chameleon to the vet about 2 months ago and had him treated for a mouth infection. He seemed to recover perfectly. Now hes been acting strange and hasnt eating in at least 4 days ! When I offer him food he acts like he wants it, he will turn his head towards the food and stare at it for a few seconds then move on..Also he tends to just stay in the same spot in his cage and sleep pretty much all day except when I mist him he will drink. So today i took him outside for a change of scenery becuase it was really hot out, as soon as i got him in the sun he opened his eyes...So im not sure if maybe the lighting has somthing to do with this ? Than i offered him a wax worm out of my hand and he turned as if he were interested than opened his mouth as wide as he could like he was mad... Im really concerned about his health and he defientely needs to eat soon or I dont think he will make it much longer...I dont wanna take him to the vet again becuase the last bill was $400 and i just dont have that kind of money right now so your advice would be much appriciated !

Also, when i touch him or go to pick him up he doesnt act normally. which would be trying to get away and puffing his body up, but he still has a strong grip which i know that is a good sign

You should fill out the information in this stickied thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Just copy, paste into a reply and put in the details. Be as specific as possible. Pictures are extremely informative.

Jackson Chameleon,1 1/2 years old,has been in my care for about a year

i handle my chameleon about once a month

i am feeding my chameleon wax worms,meal worms, and superworms. i offer him food about every 2 days using tongs if he hasnt touched the food in his feeder. I do not gutload those worms

I am using repti calcium with D3 but i just recently started using it and he hasnt been eating right for a few weeks so he hasnt got much of it

I mist my cham twice a day ussually in the morning around 11 and at night around 5 for about 30 seconds ussing an automatic mister

Has been to the vet for a mouth infection--succesfully treated

I have a screen cage- i forgot the demensions but its huge 200 gallon plus

I have 2 uva lights one is high end top brand ( i think its zoo med) and the other is a decent strip called a Zilla- not very bright but it helps
than i have a higher end uvb light

I have a digetal themometer in the cage and during the day its ussually around 70 and the basking spot is around 82

my themometer just went out so i dont know the exact humidity but i do know its very high due to i have a lot of computers and tvs running in the room.

I am using a live palm tree for his plant

His cage about 5 foot below a ceiling air vent which i have been wondering if that would be a problem or not ?

I am located in Minnesota

What type of UVB bulb and what rating? Why 2 UVA lights? They're really not needed.

The worms are not too nutritious for them, especially if they are not gut loaded. Most only use them as a snack.

Sleeping during the day is usually not a good sign. It could be the lights, vitamin deficiency, infection, injury, etc.

I don't think that misting twice a day for 30 seconds is enough. I've seen people mist anywhere from 3-6 times a day for 2-5 minutes each time.

Can you post any pictures?

I came home from work and he was sleeping with his mouth open, than he started to fall so i saved him and tried to get him to eat but he wouldnt. He was so skinny, and the back part if his body was black on both sides which must have recently occured because it wasnt there when i went to work. I still would like to try and figure out why this happend and what i was doing wrong.

Somthing to remember him by- Murph

img101412copy.jpg

aka KILLA CHAM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

When you do decide to get another chameleon, make sure you come here for advice before making the purchase.

**edited to add**
Oh, what a beauty he was!

Sorry for your loss! I'm sure he was tough and fought to the end. :(

***Please ask for advice before getting another cham, ...I noticed there are a few adjustments that needed to be made in your husbandry. Proper lightning, nutrition, and adequate hydration (and humidity), etc.****

Also, that's a freaking great picture. If only to get to take more pictures, you should get another chameleon.

But, as noted, there are things you can do to make it more likely your next chameleon thrives, so get that info here first.

Most of us on here have felt the pain your going threw. And it SUCKS! The good part is the knowlage you gained. Not sure how old your cham was when you got him.Dont be afraid of getting a baby next time so you know there history.And im sure that cage wont be empty for long

Back
Top Bottom