Need help convincing my parents

Since there's no period at the end of that sentence, should we infer that they're probably correct, and there won't be an end to your herp habit either? :LOL:
(If it isn't obvious, I'm messin' with ya. ;))
Hmmm you never know maybe next I’ll get some frogs!!! And a panther chameleon!! ?? well ok I like all chameleons they’re all cool but I am definitely not allowed to have 10 (Which is for the best) so I have to pick my FAVORITES. Which are bearded Pygmy chameleons.

I am 13, and I have 3 chameleons. I also want a t. Hoehnelii. I cannot speak for pearl feilds, I have no idea how supportive his parents are about chameleons.

In my personal case, my parents are extremely supportive about me and chams and I sit them down every morning and tell them what to do specifically before I go to school. They know that I know more than them about chameleons and they actually think that they are really cool and pretty and great pets.
Yes I am a she (as Klyde o scope said)
And also, I have gotten the 3 main concerns from my mom if I got another chameleon. They are in this order:

1) added stress (good reason because sometimes I get very stressed out about stupid things with my veiled chameleon)

2) cost. (Because already on my one chameleon we have spent over like 700 dollars and I’m planning to get him a misting fogger GOOD dehumidifier and a solar meter with my money).

3) space. She doesn’t want half my room taken up by chameleons.

unlike your parents @NashansCamos mine are kinda like “ughhh.. you already have one..” ?

Yes I am a she (as Klyde o scope said)
Wasn't me. I think it was bbyoda

And also, I have gotten the 3 main concerns from my mom if I got another chameleon. They are in this order:

1) added stress (good reason because sometimes I get very stressed out about stupid things with my veiled chameleon)

2) cost. (Because already on my one chameleon we have spent over like 700 dollars and I’m planning to get him a misting fogger GOOD dehumidifier and a solar meter with my money).

3) space. She doesn’t want half my room taken up by chameleons.

unlike your parents @NashansCamos mine are kinda like “ughhh.. you already have one..” ?
First, I think your parents have some valid arguments there. In fact, I could envision my Missus making the exact same 3 arguments! :rolleyes:

Second, you need to learn how negotiating works. ;)
You give a little, and they give a little, yadda, yadda, yadda, and eventually you reach a deal that will probably be more in their favor, but hey—they're the ones putting a roof over your head, food in your stomach, clothes on your back, and will likely be sending you to college. (Yeah, I sound like an old fart CUZ I AM AN OLD FART!!!) :LOL:

Which brings up a good point; when you go to college, what's going to happen to all these reptiles?
Think ahead. ;)

Personally I think these chams should be left to the more experienced keepers... Housing multiples then leads to breeding as well. Those that house them together know exactly what they are doing and how to handle offspring. IMO these are rarer chameleons that have extremely specific care requirements. To lose one or multiples of these due to inexperience would be a shame.

Get through having a Veiled for it's entire life first. They bring their own stress and changes as they mature. Keep learning and when your older if this is still something you really want then that is different.

Personally I think these chams should be left to the more experienced keepers... Housing multiples then leads to breeding as well. Those that house them together know exactly what they are doing and how to handle offspring. IMO these are rarer chameleons that have extremely specific care requirements. To lose one or multiples of these due to inexperience would be a shame.

Get through having a Veiled for it's entire life first. They bring their own stress and changes as they mature. Keep learning and when your older if this is still something you really want then that is different.
Ok I will wait to get bearded Pygmys. Thanks for your opinion! (for real though I’m not being sarcastic) Maybe I can get poison dart frogs or something next!!! Heheheh

Last edited:
Ok I will wait to get bearded Pygmys.
Keep in mind... You seem to be a more responsible young lady of 12. I am not saying you should not experience another species but keep it to something like a Panther where the care requirements are widely available to you. These have very similar care to a Veiled so it would not be a lot to learn at all. Their behavior is quite different then a Veiled even the way they grip your fingers. Veileds will dig in with their nails while a panther give more of a relaxed soft grip in comparison. This will allow you to experience another species and learn more. :) Who knows maybe you will grow up and become a Veterinarian that specializes in Reptiles. ;)

Keep in mind... You seem to be a more responsible young lady of 12. I am not saying you should not experience another species but keep it to something like a Panther where the care requirements are widely available to you. These have very similar care to a Veiled so it would not be a lot to learn at all. Their behavior is quite different then a Veiled even the way they grip your fingers. Veileds will dig in with their nails while a panther give more of a relaxed soft grip in comparison. This will allow you to experience another species and learn more. :) Who knows maybe you will grow up and become a Veterinarian that specializes in Reptiles. ;)
Thanks!! And maybe I could get a panther I would love to get one from kammerflauge kreations the females from there are gorgeous! Anyway I can hold off Pygmy chameleons for now, and get some poison dart frogs and a panther! (Seriously though yesterday I saw a wild frog it was awesome and small and green)

Thanks!! And maybe I could get a panther I would love to get one from kammerflauge kreations the females from there are gorgeous! Anyway I can hold off Pygmy chameleons for now, and get some poison dart frogs and a panther! (Seriously though yesterday I saw a wild frog it was awesome and small and green)
As far as your parents... Show them you can handle the responsibility over time with the one you have. That is the easiest way to make an argument for a second chameleon. If they see you doing everything and learning more and more they will be more receptive to you wanting another one. Listen to podcasts in your downtime. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast/
Show them your committed for the long haul and this is not a short term interest.

As far as your parents... Show them you can handle the responsibility over time with the one you have. That is the easiest way to make an argument for a second chameleon. If they see you doing everything and learning more and more they will be more receptive to you wanting another one. Listen to podcasts in your downtime. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast/
Show them your committed for the long haul and this is not a short term interest.
Yes ok! and here he is (my veiled) right before bed last night!!! ???
A8203360-348E-452F-8C66-989535EBA559.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I am a she
Ahh sorry. Yes I agree with the above I think a panther would be a good next chameleon whenever that should happen. 2 chameleons is a big step up. You now have to worry about visible stress which is a big thing. If they see each other they will get stressed.

I would wait at LEAST until your veiled hits sexual maturity to buy a panther. I have never had 2 babies that would be too much. Before I get my hoehnelii Jango will be an adult

Ahh sorry. Yes I agree with the above I think a panther would be a good next chameleon whenever that should happen. 2 chameleons is a big step up. You now have to worry about visible stress which is a big thing. If they see each other they will get stressed.

I would wait at LEAST until your veiled hits sexual maturity to buy a panther. I have never had 2 babies that would be too much. Before I get my hoehnelii Jango will be an adult
Yes an Ambanja panther would be cool. And yeah it would definitely be best to wait until Stormy is like at least a year old, less feeders to worry about!!??

Putting my two cents in...
You are very young and have the rest of your life to learn about and keep whatever reptiles your heart desires. Just keep learning all you can about all you have interest in and even those you don’t. Start a journal of all you learn. I’ve found that life puts in front of us what we want/need when the time is right for it.

I’m 13 and have a 5 month old veiled male. He’s amazing. He’s the brother to @Beman little boy. Before getting him we had just got a puppy. A puppy was already a big thing to take on. When i was explaining to them why i wanted a chameleon they asked me a series of questions. Both my parents said that he was my responsibility, i paid for everything minus a few thing my dad got on Amazon. Although your story is a little different, explaining how you’re going to do it, what you’re going to do to give your other animals the same love as before. . I hope it works out for you getting whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom