Need help assessing if URI concern or not

Indy Canuck

Health Concern
New owner, young veiled

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Velied, female, approx 6 months. In my care 1 week
Handling - once per day, very comfortable coming to out when approached
Feeding - 1/2 inch criks, ? What amount? 10-15 Daily around 8am How are you gut-loading your feeders? Yes (fruit, leaf lettuce), water
Supplements - daily Exo terra calcium w/o d3, no multi vitamins yet
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting 3X daily 1 min Do you see your chameleon drinking? when she gets some on her she laps it up, I have seen her but not often. She does not appear dehydrated (eyes sockets full not flacid)
Fecal Description - Over 6 days only 2 movements, (large white and black, yellow spot at once end) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Obtained from Petsmart - she was there for ~3 mo before we found her
- Does not hiss at me
- has displayed dark stripes & colors twice, when testing her new terrarium
- had a full skin molt this week
- hunts criks no problem but am cup feeding

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Currently in a 12x12x18 exo terra. New larger 24x18x36 exo terra ready now?
Lighting - In juvenile cage she has a 50w bask and 26W exo terra UVB CFL in dual dome fixture. 12hr on/off 8am to 8pm
Adult terrarium ready with a 100W bask and T5 HO Zoo Med 24inch UVB
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot) 70'F to 85/90? Lowest overnight temp? 65'F How do you measure these temps? Bask area digital probe, analog thermometer at base
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Fluctuates between misting 40 at start of day, after each mist spikes ot about 75-80%RH How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Pump mister, <1min spray of leaves, walls What do you use to measure humidity? analog guage, cross referenced occasionally with digital probe
Plants - Are you using live plants? Not in small exo terra. If so, what kind? Large exo terra ready with 3 stem Scheflerra (monitoring temp in large cage before fully ready)
Placement - Where is your cage located? Basement office, minimal traffic. No fans. Am running a room cold air humidifier and a small space heater on a thermostat to keep room at a minimum of 65'F overnight At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is at desk heigh
Location - Where are you geographically located? Greater Toronto Area - Canada

Current Problem -
My Veiled chameleon has a thin white film around its snout and first assumed it was skin remaining from a very recent molting, but its been consistent for 2 days now.
I have not observed any foaming or bubbles. I got her to open her mouth and did not see any bubbles in her mouth either.
- At the start of when I noticed the white crust at her mouth she was observed making a gasp (thought it was a pretty weak hiss)
She is active through the day - have observed her close her eyes a couple times for short time when basking

Would like to know more info in URI, actually had trouble finding symptoms, description etc on the forum,

I don't see her wheezing ever. She's gasped or stretched her mouth some times but thought she was getting rid of skin.

Concerned for her - we like her a lot - obviously new at this but did as much research and thinking about the commitment before getting her. I know the concerns on glass, but it is the exo terra type and for basement setting in cold climate figured it was best option to hold in humidity and temp.

Is 6 months too soon for the larger enclosure? I want her with the live plant and I just installed a dripper to get better water in to encourage active drinking.
close up fave.jpg

small enclosure.jpg

large cage.jpg

Any advice appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom