**NEED HELP ASAP**

EmmasKarma

My chameleon Karma was severely mistreated and when I got her had parasites worms RI MBD and malnourished she then was doing really well the past 4 weeks putting on weight and eating really well, active and bright... her shed started a week and a half ago and finished recently over that period she stopped eating which i know is normal but now she is barely eating and when she does its only one cricket. It's been 3 days and she only ate one cricket. She isn't drinking so I used a dripper to give her a bit of water that is when she finally ate a cricket. She's gasping at the air again and pointing her head up. Changing colour to her environment, green wall green chameleon etc etc...she does not want to be near me or held. I'm getting quite worried for her, I don't think she'll live long because of her awful start in life but she's only 9 months...She is going to the vet tomorrow (hope fully! Depending on if I can get a appointment) has anybody had this before???

Sorry your baby is having problems. Sounds like she will need that vet visit tomorrow. Where are you located? Please fill this out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

My chameleon Karma was severely mistreated and when I got her had parasites worms RI MBD and malnourished she then was doing really well the past 4 weeks putting on weight and eating really well, active and bright... her shed started a week and a half ago and finished recently over that period she stopped eating which i know is normal but now she is barely eating and when she does its only one cricket. It's been 3 days and she only ate one cricket. She isn't drinking so I used a dripper to give her a bit of water that is when she finally ate a cricket. She's gasping at the air again and pointing her head up. Changing colour to her environment, green wall green chameleon etc etc...she does not want to be near me or held. I'm getting quite worried for her, I don't think she'll live long because of her awful start in life but she's only 9 months...She is going to the vet tomorrow (hope fully! Depending on if I can get a appointment) has anybody had this before???

She is going to the vets tomorrow. Thank you to anybody who tried to help, won't be returning for more questions or problems as everytime I do ask somebody has something to say that'll make me feel stupid or look stupid.(y)

I’m trying to educate you sweety.

Chameleons do not change colors to blend into their environment. You’ll never be able to care for one if you can’t grasp the basics.

"Sweety" it quite obviously states my name is Emma. I have brought on this chameleon very far, and I've hit a bump in the road as I am, if I did not know the "basics" she would be long gone. I am honestly disgusted that somebody is coming onto a forum (i made to ask for help as I am extremely worried for my chameleon) to try make me look stupid. Have some decency about you.

She is going to the vets tomorrow. Thank you to anybody who tried to help, won't be returning for more questions or problems as everytime I do ask somebody has something to say that'll make me feel stupid or look stupid.(y)
Welcome @EmmasKarma im sorry your baby is not feeling well . I have a lot of experience with respiratory issues . I’m more then happy to give you a hand if you need it . I’m happy to hear she will be getting back to vet .

@Brodybreaux25 is a wonderful keeper and can help you . Please have patience your not stupid , I do not think any one meant to make you feel that way :cautious: . You can always pm anyone you feel is helpful .

Last edited:
Welcome @EmmasKarma im sorry your baby is not feeling well . I have a lot of experience with respiratory issues . I’m more then happy to give you a hand if you need it . I’m happy to hear she will be getting back to vet .

@Brodybreaux25 is a wonderful keeper and can help you . Please have patience your not stupid , I do not think any one meant to make you feel that way :cautious: . You can always pm anyone you feel is helpful .

This seems to be a repetitive thing, since before I had her. Going to take her up tomorrow to the vets as I think it's got worse as the days went on. I would say this is the aftermath of poor care from the pet shop who had her before me.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with that person. Hopefully she/he leaves now as he has nothing useful to say to me.

This seems to be a repetitive thing, since before I had her. Going to take her up tomorrow to the vets as I think it's got worse as the days went on. I would say this is the aftermath of poor care from the pet shop who had her before me.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with that person. Hopefully she/he leaves now as he has nothing useful to say to me.

It could be genetic as well . What had she been on for antibiotics ? Is she off antibiotics know and if so how long ?

It could be genetic as well . What had she been on for antibiotics ? Is she off antibiotics know and if so how long ?

I ran out of the antibiotic and don't know where the tub is. She was gave one drop a day of it until it cleared up, 6 days, it's been around 3 weeks and it's back. I feel like this is something she's been battling with so I'd say it is genetic.

The return of the RI is actually more likely either genetic or an issue with the conditions, too much humidity, and a cham can get an RI. Are you running your setup in the proper humidity range for your cham or are you following what you believe to be correct and don't keep track of the enclosures humidity? But like others have stated, chams change color to indicate mood, stress levels and overall health, not to blend in. If you truly want help with your cham, you have to let go of pride and the idea that you are doing everything correctly, as that can quickly lead to a dead cham.

I ran out of the antibiotic and don't know where the tub is. She was gave one drop a day of it until it cleared up, 6 days, it's been around 3 weeks and it's back. I feel like this is something she's been battling with so I'd say it is genetic.
She could always battle this yes I’m sorry for that . She may need to go with injection and a long course of them . You could talk to your vet on having cultures that may give you directions on antibiotics .

The return of the RI is actually more likely either genetic or an issue with the conditions, too much humidity, and a cham can get an RI. Are you running your setup in the proper humidity range for your cham or are you following what you believe to be correct and don't keep track of the enclosures humidity? But like others have stated, chams change color to indicate mood, stress levels and overall health, not to blend in. If you truly want help with your cham, you have to let go of pride and the idea that you are doing everything correctly, as that can quickly lead to a dead cham.
Well said.

Went to the vets today and she was starting to show symptoms of an R.I but vet thinks the antibiotics didn't nip it in the bud and it's just came back. Went over my humidity, feeding, lighting, UVB, how many times I mist etc etc, because of the way people were commenting last night I felt it was my fault and I was mistreating her... He said all brill and her issues are from her conditions BEFORE me. So no this wasn't my fault and I wasnt just in denial because I didn't want my "pride" affected. Her MBD is completely nipped in the bud and her bones are very strong. Her weight is "just perfect". Next time when somebody asks a question give the person useful information. Don't just accuse them of not knowing the basics and it being their fault, when all I am trying to do is bring back a very mistreated animal from deaths door. Not be accused of incorrect treatment or care of my baby that I've spent almost 900£ bringing back. (y)

Yes and my humidity is perfect. Went over it with my vet. No I am not just holding back for my "pride"s sake. Please read my earlier forums so you can understand her situation rather of throwing accusations about.

Back
Top Bottom