Need alittle help

c81kennedy

Just got a 4month old panter charmeleon at a reptile show a few day ago and was fed some wrong info i beleive. I won a door price for the 24 x 24 x 48 reptbreeze what kind of lighting do i need for my little guy . I was sold a solar glow 125w sun lamp but i think its too hot. What temp should his cage be what humidity. Second i got a happa mister what settings should it be set on. Iv read thought alot of care sheet and see different things . So any help would be great i want this guys to have the best care i can give.
Also he ate and drank a few hours after i got him and is a little piggy.

Welcome! You have a great cage there, but it may be a bit big for you Panther yet. If he is finding food, all is well, but if he cannot, you may need to move him into a smaller cage for a few months. Temps should be nor higher than 90 in the basking spot at this age. I am not familiar with the light you have, but most people go with a linear flourescent tube and separate basking light. Which reptile show by the way?

Welcome! You have a great cage there, but it may be a bit big for you Panther yet. If he is finding food, all is well, but if he cannot, you may need to move him into a smaller cage for a few months. Temps should be nor higher than 90 in the basking spot at this age. I am not familiar with the light you have, but most people go with a linear flourescent tube and separate basking light. Which reptile show by the way?

If the cage is bigger and she has a smaller panther could she set up feeding cup or something? I am only asking this because my veild is only 2 months and is a small guy an I have set up a cool feeding cup for him. Is feeding a panther different than a veild? Oh and here is the link to my feeding cup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_od47TlbXA

If the cage is bigger and she has a smaller panther could she set up feeding cup or something? I am only asking this because my veild is only 2 months and is a small guy an I have set up a cool feeding cup for him. Is feeding a panther different than a veild? Oh and here is the link to my feeding cup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_od47TlbXA

Absolutely-that is why I mentioned if the little one can find food than it is OK.

Ok-so the solar glow is a Mercury Vapour Bulb( I prefer UVB tubes and a separate basking bulb). They are handy since they provide heat and UVB. I will say I am not a fan, especially on babies. Make sure you have a good digital thermometer with the probe in the basking spot. You do not want temps much above 85ish tops 90 for a young panther.

That bulb may indeed be too much. You want to aim for
a day basking spot 80F for a younger chameleon such as yours, when adult up to 90F/32C max
day cooler spot / ambient range 70-80F /21 -26C
night to a low of 65F/18C

Aim for humidity of 40-60% but when misting it will be 80%+

Young ones can dehydrate faster than bigger animals. Ensure plenty of water is provided.

Thanks for the advice i raised the heat lamp off the top till i got about 84 backing spot the normal temp of the room is around 74

MV bulbs are dangerous if used without testing the amount of UV being emitted via a UV meter. They can produce very high amounts of UV and you risk UV burns if not set up properly. For the short term you would be better off ditching the MV and just using a regular house incandescent bulb, and ordering a reptisun linear UVB bulb from LLL or any other supplier. It won't hurt him to go a week without UV. But any longer than that you should at the very least take him outside for a couple of hours to get some natural UV.

Back
Top Bottom