Need advice

Zilla23

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Ambilobe Panther, 2 years old, I have had him for a year and a half
  • Handling - only to let him go to his outside enclosure, maybe once a day in summer, he doesn't mind and comes to me.
  • Feeding - Hornworms, superworms, black soldier flies, blue bottle flies, crickets. Flies and crickets gutloaded with Rapashy's Superload
  • Supplements - Zoomed Repticalcium without D3 on hornworms and crickets, I give him vitamin A as retinal palmate on a superworm once a month, and then calcium WITH D3 about twice a month, I just let the flies hatch in his enclosure so those are not supplemented but I put a little of the superload in the bottom for them to feed on while they are in the enclosure.
  • Watering - I have a MistKing mister, it is set for 1 min at 8:00 am, 5 min at 12:00, then 1 min each at 3 and 6
  • Fecal Description - his last one was normal
  • History - N/A.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -I have a bioactive screen enclosure 48" high with two sides blocked by foam and plant materials on the walls
  • Lighting - zoomed LED/T5 fixture with arcadia 6% UV T5 linear bulb and 6500K daylight LED lights as well as red and blue LED option, lights come on at 7:30 a.m. and go off at 7:00 p.m. Zoomed 74 watt Repti basking spot light, I also have a Jungle Dawn LED spotlight about mid way down the enclosure on the outside
  • Temperature - basking spot stays around 90-92 degrees, 75 degrees at the bottom of enclosure
  • Humidity - humidity stays around 65-70%, I have all natural plants, the mister and I run a humidifier outside the cage to maintain the humidity
  • Plants - live plants, pothos mainly but also have a kroton, scheflera and dracena (SP??)
  • Placement - cage sits on a stand about 2 feet high next to a window, there is a vent in the floor but I have a diverter directing it away from the enclosure. it is in my home office where I am everyday, but we close the door at night so no traffic
  • Location - Alabama

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I noticed this week that Ripley was in the corner of his cage under the basking light kind of a gray/brown color which is usual for him, he just finished shedding so I just assumed he was grumpy from that, which is normal. Yesterday I went to see if he wanted to come out to go to his outside enclosure since he likes to be outside during this time of year and I noticed that he has a bulge near his anus and base of his tail, as I tried to look closer you could tell that he was trying to defecate but nothing was coming out. I was worried he was constipated or maybe had an impaction, I also noticed that he looked a little dehydrated. I called my vet and took him in today, the vet tried to probe and see if he was impacted but could find no evidence of an impaction, he did express a sperm plug and he feels that maybe Ripley has an infection in his hemipene area or the hemipenes itself, he didn't was to stress him too much so he did not do any further exploration or try to express anything, he gave me antibiotics, pain medication and some antibiotic cream to apply to his anal area. When I got home I gave him the droppers with the antibiotics and the pain meds then put him back in his enclosure and he proceeded to kind of vomit up a bit glob of spit, so I doubt he even got any of the meds. I did notice that he started drinking water right away and he has continued to drink throughout this day. I even went and bought him some crickets (which are his favorite) but he has shown no interest in eating anything. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be or if there is anything else I can do to maybe help him out. The vet wants me to do this routine for a week and then bring him back and see if he is better. I posted a photo, it's not easy to see as he won't really let me get a good photo, it opens up like this whenever I touch his tail, but otherwise it does close back somewhat but it still swollen.

Ripley.jpg

--------------

Yeah, that's a nasty looking cloaca.
I'm not a vet, but from what you describe, I can't disagree with your vet's assessment.
He's sore down there from the difficulties, the plug, and the probing, so I'm not surprised his appetite is off and he's a bit dehydrated—and grumpy (I would be!) My guess is that the pain medication is actually an anti-inflammatory, which is good—it should help calm things down.

The meds may be upsetting his tummy (just a guess), hence the spitting up. I know his appetite is off, but if you could administer the meds with a little food, that may help him keep it down.

IDK of anything else you could—or should—try, ATM. Keep food & water available, and let Nature do her stuff. ;)

He needs some time to rest & heal, and reptiles—due to their slower metabolisms—heal slowly. Keep an eye on things, but try not to hover—IDK if that might stress him while he's trying to rest. (Reminds me of a song I posted to another thread... Not to be taken personally.) Nothing wrong with taking notes, especially if that helps you during this stressful time. I think he's going to be fine. Keep us informed.

Everything looks great with your form although 90-92 is a bit hotter then I would do at basking.

Per the meds he may have spit it up if he aspirated some. Their airway is in the front of their mouth so you have to be very careful when giving meds. See this link
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Per the issue at hand I can not give much feedback there maybe @kinyonga would know more. Or know about the types of meds you got if you would like to post those.

Yeah, that's a nasty looking cloaca.
I'm not a vet, but from what you describe, I can't disagree with your vet's assessment.
He's sore down there from the difficulties, the plug, and the probing, so I'm not surprised his appetite is off and he's a bit dehydrated—and grumpy (I would be!) My guess is that the pain medication is actually an anti-inflammatory, which is good—it should help calm things down.

The meds may be upsetting his tummy (just a guess), hence the spitting up. I know his appetite is off, but if you could administer the meds with a little food, that may help him keep it down.

IDK of anything else you could—or should—try, ATM. Keep food & water available, and let Nature do her stuff. ;)

He needs some time to rest & heal, and reptiles—due to their slower metabolisms—heal slowly. Keep an eye on things, but try not to hover—IDK if that might stress him while he's trying to rest. (Reminds me of a song I posted to another thread... Not to be taken personally.) Nothing wrong with taking notes, especially if that helps you during this stressful time. I think he's going to be fine. Keep us informed.
Yeah, I’m trying not to hover, but I’m worried about him. Thanks for the boost!

Everything looks great with your form although 90-92 is a bit hotter then I would do at basking.

Per the meds he may have spit it up if he aspirated some. Their airway is in the front of their mouth so you have to be very careful when giving meds. See this link
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Per the issue at hand I can not give much feedback there maybe @kinyonga would know more. Or know about the types of meds you got if you would like to post those.
These are the meds I got, figured a pic was easier than me butchering the spelling lol 3BBB3AB6-8ED5-41C3-8068-D57A664208BB.jpeg CCACF13A-6E04-4FCC-8B9E-E364F9AF90C1.jpeg

Attachments

• 3019BC0D-3C1E-4AD6-9E08-8E2BBD74FAF1.jpeg
    3019BC0D-3C1E-4AD6-9E08-8E2BBD74FAF1.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 128
These are the meds I got, figured a pic was easier than me butchering the spelling lol
OK,
All are solid meds used safely for many years. The links are for human use, but you can search: [DRUG ] veterinary use for more info regarding use on pets.

UPDATE: Ripley is not really improving as much as I would like, I know it will take a bit, but at what point do I get concerned that he will not eat anything at all. It has been over a week since he last ate anything, he is drinking everyday and his hydration is a lot better, he still have a very strong grip as he likes to prove to me when I try to give him his medicine, the meds are hard to administer, he refuses to open his mouth at all, I tried the gentle pressure on either side of his face, nope, nothing. So I have resorted to using my fingertip to kind of pull his lip down on the side of his mouth and then kind of squirt the medicine along the inside of his lip, once I put him back in his enclosure he will then smack his lips so I HOPE he is getting enough of the dose in his mouth ?‍♀️, I don't want to try to force his mouth open. He is already so stressed, he used to like to come to me when I opened the door but now he tries to hide because I am basically traumatizing him every time I take him out :( should I try to force him to eat something? Or should I just leave him be for a little longer?

UPDATE: Ripley is not really improving as much as I would like, I know it will take a bit, but at what point do I get concerned that he will not eat anything at all. It has been over a week since he last ate anything, he is drinking everyday and his hydration is a lot better, he still have a very strong grip as he likes to prove to me when I try to give him his medicine, the meds are hard to administer, he refuses to open his mouth at all, I tried the gentle pressure on either side of his face, nope, nothing. So I have resorted to using my fingertip to kind of pull his lip down on the side of his mouth and then kind of squirt the medicine along the inside of his lip, once I put him back in his enclosure he will then smack his lips so I HOPE he is getting enough of the dose in his mouth ?‍♀️, I don't want to try to force his mouth open. He is already so stressed, he used to like to come to me when I opened the door but now he tries to hide because I am basically traumatizing him every time I take him out :( should I try to force him to eat something? Or should I just leave him be for a little longer?
Hi hun. I would not stress him not eating... can you post a pic of him face on so I can see the size of his casque?

Ok yeah he has a bit of fat storage going on in the casque... See how it has a more puffy look to it? With Panthers it is not as obvious as with Veileds. So I would not worry about him going even 2 weeks without eating. Keeping him hydrated is the important thing.

Does he hand feed at all? Sometimes this can be the easier way to give meds.... When they take the feeder put the syringe in the side aiming for the back and gently push the med. Typically a cham that does not want to eat will hand feed if they are used to it. Getting like a tasty hornworm might entice him to open up.

Ok yeah he has a bit of fat storage going on in the casque... See how it has a more puffy look to it? With Panthers it is not as obvious as with Veileds. So I would not worry about him going even 2 weeks without eating. Keeping him hydrated is the important thing.

Does he hand feed at all? Sometimes this can be the easier way to give meds.... When they take the feeder put the syringe in the side aiming for the back and gently push the med. Typically a cham that does not want to eat will hand feed if they are used to it. Getting like a tasty hornworm might entice him to open up.

he will hand feed and that is what I have been trying, he loves horn worms and super worms but he refuses both right now, he is drinking a lot every day so at least there is that, I think maybe the meds make him thirsty because I have never seen him drink this much so hopefully that is a good sign, I even mist a little extra lately just so he can have as much water as he wants. He is also not moving around very much which is not like him, he usually is up and down in his enclosure during the day but he has been just sitting in the one corner under the basking light all the time except to roam around the top half and drink water off the leaves, that's about a much movement as he does. He did pass a tiny little stool day before yesterday and really orange urates so I know he is still a bit dehydrated but he is still drinking. He also passed a sperm plug, so hopefully everything in his back end is working, he is just still really swollen and angry looking back there, I keep applying the cream the vet gave me, so hopefully things will clear up soon, I just don't like him not feeling well :(

he will hand feed and that is what I have been trying, he loves horn worms and super worms but he refuses both right now, he is drinking a lot every day so at least there is that, I think maybe the meds make him thirsty because I have never seen him drink this much so hopefully that is a good sign, I even mist a little extra lately just so he can have as much water as he wants. He is also not moving around very much which is not like him, he usually is up and down in his enclosure during the day but he has been just sitting in the one corner under the basking light all the time except to roam around the top half and drink water off the leaves, that's about a much movement as he does. He did pass a tiny little stool day before yesterday and really orange urates so I know he is still a bit dehydrated but he is still drinking. He also passed a sperm plug, so hopefully everything in his back end is working, he is just still really swollen and angry looking back there, I keep applying the cream the vet gave me, so hopefully things will clear up soon, I just don't like him not feeling well :(
With the cream are you being generous when you apply it? I would imagine right now it is going to hurt when he does try to pass anything. The orange urate IMO is indicating that it is taking longer for the bowl movements to happen. Do you fog at night by chance? This might be a really good option for him if you do not.

With the cream are you being generous when you apply it? I would imagine right now it is going to hurt when he does try to pass anything. The orange urate IMO is indicating that it is taking longer for the bowl movements to happen. Do you fog at night by chance? This might be a really good option for him if you do not.

I have a humidifier that I run at night and the door to the room he is in is closed at night so it get pretty "foggy" in there :LOL: I am applying the cream very generously because he usually rubs it off on the branches when he climbs around since his poor little butt is swollen, I have been applying it at least twice a day because of this and I try to massage the area a little as well to make sure the cream is all over the affected spots. He loves to go outside and it has been raining here this morning but is sunny and REALLY humid right now, so I put him in his outside enclosure for a bit today to hopefully make him happy ?‍♀️

I have a humidifier that I run at night and the door to the room he is in is closed at night so it get pretty "foggy" in there :LOL: I am applying the cream very generously because he usually rubs it off on the branches when he climbs around since his poor little butt is swollen, I have been applying it at least twice a day because of this and I try to massage the area a little as well to make sure the cream is all over the affected spots. He loves to go outside and it has been raining here this morning but is sunny and REALLY humid right now, so I put him in his outside enclosure for a bit today to hopefully make him happy ?‍♀️
Just make sure it is not too hot out there for him...

So do you run the fogger directly into the enclosure or just the room? I would say if you can get the night time humidity up in the enclosure to 80 or more that is going to assist with thirst and dehydration.

Just make sure it is not too hot out there for him...

So do you run the fogger directly into the enclosure or just the room? I would say if you can get the night time humidity up in the enclosure to 80 or more that is going to assist with thirst and dehydration.

it is directed at the side of his enclosure to it goes into the screen, I have also been covering the top half of his enclosure with an old curtain at night because sometimes my husband has to work at night in the home office so that way the light won't come in and wake Ripley up, this also helps keep the humidity level higher. I'm working on an attachment for the humidifier so that I can have the mist come down from the top of cage, but just haven't gotten that done yet

I'm not a vet...but I think you need a good chameleon vet. It looks like there is something going on in the cloaca area and I wouldn't wait too long to get it solved.

Back
Top Bottom