need advice for decision

Johnny909

Hello, i have been posting here for a week now and got real good advice, thanks! I am almost done with my cage planing, its time to chose my new friend!

I have been to every reptile center and pet shop around here, these are my options...

- female triceros, very friendly walks up to your hand, about 3 months old. 129$, from a great local petshop

- male veiled, gray with red, agressive and for some reason it could not hold on to my hand it kept falling off. 119$ could have been sick but im not affraid of a challenge. he tells me its
from madagascar, this is from a average petshop

- male and female panthers, sorta sand brown, the guy tells me they get colorfull has they age, his are 2 months old, he is a reptile only petshop, they where average in behavior, but 275$, not imports.

So im stuck between the ultra friendly female triceros, the angry veiled (a veiled is what i originaly wanted) or the picture perfect male panther with the big price tag....

What yall think?

Thanks!

If the veiled could not grip onto you then it might have the beginning stages of MBD(metabolic bone disease),that is a symptom, so I would nix the veiled. It is always nice to find a "friendly" cham, it makes life alot easier when you own one! i have a panther and they are my favorite so I say panther! Make sure you realize if you get a female cham what you are getting yourself into. Not sure if you are aware they can lay clutches of infertile eggs and need a place to lay. Sometimes they don't lay still and become eggbound which means large vet bill or even possible death. Just some things to consider.....

What is the normal color for an average panther when adult? These are sandy brown, they will change when older?

Yes, they get unbelievable colors! Depending on what kind of panther it is...there are SO many locales, you are talking reds, greens, yellows, blues, oranges, whites it would depend on what kind of panther. If it is a female they are no where near as vibrant as the males just as with many species in the wild. The females tend to be peachy brownish colored but can have some hints of blue and purple and it doesn't matter what kind of panther, they are all very close in color when it comes to the females.

I would run from this petstore and get one from a site sponsor-at least they will gurantee you a healthy animal.

Veileds do not come from Madagascar, nor do they usually have red on them. This makes me weary that any animal is what he says it is.

I would go with one of the breeders on the forum. They are reputable, you will know exactly what you are getting , guaranteed healthy & any advice you need to keep him healthy . I,ve used the classified section twice & also one of the listed sponsors & am very satisfied. If you go with those choices, the panther is probably your best bet......

I would run from this petstore and get one from a site sponsor-at least they will gurantee you a healthy animal.

Veileds do not come from Madagascar, nor do they usually have red on them. This makes me weary that any animal is what he says it is.

lol! I never even noticed that about the veild being from Madagascar! You are right he needs to run for the hills!!!

I'd really worry if someone tried to sell me a weak gripping grey and red Veiled from Madagascar. Even though his other animals might be healthy, he doesn't seem to know much. I would try the site sponsors as well. I think there are two in Canada. Also, I think xtreme exotics has Sengegals right now -- they are a neat cham. I think they recently got some other types as well. Their website is:
http://www.x-tremeexotics.piczo.com/?cr=7
My friends and I have gotten very nice healthy animals from them.

I misunderstood and thought they were all from the same place. I'd say the "veiled" is out. Any chance on getting some pictures of the others?

hmm maybe the triceros she is near my home, she is VERY green, i just got a terrarium canopy with 3 fluorescent lights that can fit 3 reptiglows, i cant wait!

if I paid 275$ for a panther chameleon, and it turned out green, would I be getting screwed? Cause there is another petshop where I got my lamp tonight who garantees me a red orange panter Chameleon for 350$ , they sell them at 6 months old where you can start seeing it colors.

John

If you go with a forum member or a site sponsor, they should be able to show you pics of the sire of the baby or juvenile for sale that would give you a good indication of what yours will look like as an adult. I would not buy a panther for that much if I had no idea where it came from, meaning lineage. JMO

Panther chameleons usually have some red, yellow, or blue even if their background is green. I have a Sambava male who is a green color with gray, red, purple, or blue bars and he fires up to an amazing orange and red with black bars.

Females can be very colorful! My sambavas girlfriend is a very beautiful light orange with darker orange accents and bars. When she fires up (would it still be called firing up?) she has black bars and she looks like a small tiger! She has a temperment to match too! There was a female on here a while ago that was very very blue on grey/peach. I might even say she was almost half blue!

If you go with a forum member or a site sponsor, they should be able to show you pics of the sire of the baby or juvenile for sale that would give you a good indication of what yours will look like as an adult. I would not buy a panther for that much if I had no idea where it came from, meaning lineage. JMO

agreed, I just bought one from lancecham (forum member and breader) and he was great about showing me pic's of both the sire (daddy) and mothers sire, which give you a good ideal what it will look like

also he was cheaper than a pet store and he's chameleons are in great shape.

IMO look for a breeder around you (or at lest in your country as most will ship but not across boarders) there maybe a wait but it will be worth it, plus a chameleon really shouldn't be a impulse buy. while your waiting/looking learn all you can.

oh also IMO male panther

I wouldn't say that seeing the father and grand father give you a good idea of color. There is a lot of variation in clutches. My Sambava male is from patron (picture at chameleonsnorthwest.com) and he fires up plain old green and with orange tints. My male fires up bright orange and red with white.

Anywho, here's a link to a picture of the female I was talking about. Taken with my phone. The flash and sucky-ness of my phone wash it out, but you can see what I mean.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/RawrXimaXduck/ec8b0e19.jpg

I feel the same way as most of the others do. Go with a chameleon from one of the site sponsors. You'll get a healthy chameleon which is first and foremost. Plus you'll usually see the parents, which is great. Getting a sick cranky chameleon isn't the way to start off your chameleon keeping. It will most likely lead to heartbreak, and can possibly turn you off to keeping chameleons in general.

And don't worry... eventually you'll probably own each one of the chameleons you have looked at. It really is an addiction.

Back
Top Bottom