Need a little advice for my poor chameleon.

Chamurt

Hello everyone,
I have a few questions in regards to the eye problems of my panther chameleon, Kratos. He's about 20 monthes old, and I have the required setup for a chameleon (reptisun 10.0 UVB lamp/ Heat lamp/ 100gal reptarium screen enclosure etc.)
Four days ago I noticed my chameleon was not opening his left eye, and he was basically resting all day. Since then problems have progressed and he occasionally opens his right eye and he commonly does a very strange blink in both eyes where it appears that the eyeball bulges to the front of the socket and he clears it away with some white thing and it returns to normal. He has also began to stop eating and I have had to force feed him a few crickets today. At first I thought the problem was dehydration so I allowed him to drink a significant amount of water but his problems still persisted.
I took him to the vet yesterday and they told me it could either be an infection or some other problem within his internals. The vet prescribed him 14 doses of Injectable Baytril which I feel will only stress him further and possibly cause new problems. He also and took a blood test, which I should get the results back sometime today.
I'm wondering if there is an alternate way to give him his medicine like possibly injecting the medicine into crickets and feeding it to him like that, or some kind of Vitamin A eye drops or anything!
I'm very nervous about Kratos's health, and I really hope he makes it through all this.
~Kurt

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Answering the above questions would be great! But first and foremost, is the 10.0 you are using a tube bulb or a compact in a dome type fixture? I wasn't sure with the way you worded it but it sounds like it may be a compact?
Compact bulbs are known for causing major problems with chameleon eyes....

What tests did the vet do to lead her to the infection conclusion?

Injectibles are normally better way to deliver meds as it by passes problems with absorbtion and intolerance for the gut.

follow what the other said and maybe we can offer more assistance.

OPI

Presumably the vet did some tests that support the infection diagnosis, and presumably the vet feels the medication suggested is the best one. Do you doubt the vets diagnosis? IF so, maybe try a different vet? I guess there are lots of smart, experienced people on this site, but they cant see / touch / take samples etc so I'd be inclined to follow the vets suggestions. Maybe I am naive in following vet directions?

I would go with what the vet told you to do, BUT the people on this website probably have a lot more experience with chameleons than your vet does. With this being said, it would be a good idea to fill out the information sheet and possibly even post some pictures. Someone on here might have had the same problem before and might know exactly what to do.

I am not questioning your vet or challenging his/her judgement. I am just saying that the people on this forum might have some ideas that will save your chameleon.

The blood test came in... News not so good.
Basically his uric acid levels are through the roof and is presumably caused by either kidney failure or kidney infection. I have been injecting him daily with the baytril and have been forcing him to drink over 15ml of water a day. I either didn't let him get enough water or the beta carotene in his sups aren't giving him the needed Vitamin A. Having to pry open his mouth and stick my little guy with a needle everyday is really breaking my heart, and I sure hope he can make it through these stressful times. He seemed a bit more wide-eyed and colorful after he diahriad on my khakis and got a belly full of water and cricket mash today. Lets hope we see more improvement.

Why are you injecting him in the mouth-is that what the Vet told you to do? I am currently injectin Baytril into my female Veiled due to an infected ripped off toenail, but in the thigh.

Why are you injecting him in the mouth-is that what the Vet told you to do? I am currently injectin Baytril into my female Veiled due to an infected ripped off toenail, but in the thigh.

I read that wrong-that was my fault-sorry. I know how you feel. I am injecting my cham in alternating thighs and I feel horrible about it.:(

I think I would have to get someone else to inject my chameleon if he ever needed it. When I raised show goats we had to worm them and I was horrible at it >.< I just couldn't do it because I hated needles myself.

Needless to say, the goat I first tried to give the shot to wouldnt let me walk behind him for about 3 months because he thought i was going to poke him. I would like get it in and then he'd jump and i'd pull it out.

poor goats :p i had to get my dad to do it

Back
Top Bottom